PDA

View Full Version : Sluggishness in Layout

scarabrae
05-19-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi

Looking for some help with very slow update/refresh in layout, particularly when I use "Textured Shaded Solid". This is on 9.3.1 and 9.5Beta(won't say any more here).

Making a preview is extremely slow and loading objects and scenes into layout is way slower than when under windows. Changing from camera to perspective, for example takes seconds and I means 8, 9, 10 seconds.

When I fire up windows version under bootcamp I have no issues. I am not using heavy scenes.

I am not saying this is better than that, more that something must be way wrong with my system when working with LW under leopard.

Running leopard 10.5.2 on a 2x2.8 quad core with 8800gt and 6GB ram.

I really want to remain in leopard and not have to switch over to use LW.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

LastofTheLarrys
05-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I have the same setup and have noticed similar performance problems. LW 9.3.1 in OSX 10.5.2 is virtually unusable for me except for rendering.

I can't stress how big a problem this is for our workflow. Most of our other apps are OSX, and having to boot in Windows creates all manner of workflow problems.

Giacomo99
05-20-2008, 07:47 PM
LW 9.3.1 was so slow as to be unusable on my Mac Pro running 10.5.2 with an 8800GT. Each build of the 9.5 Open Beta, though, has been a vast improvement in speed and stability. Are you guys running the latest builds?

LastofTheLarrys
05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I've got a couple of deadlines, then will check it out later in the week.

Thanks for the heads up.

Larry

scarabrae
05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
LW 9.3.1 was so slow as to be unusable on my Mac Pro running 10.5.2 with an 8800GT. Each build of the 9.5 Open Beta, though, has been a vast improvement in speed and stability. Are you guys running the latest builds?

I have one day left on my temp license, will see after that. :thumbsup:

davidlsnr
05-22-2008, 03:58 AM
Hi,

First post for me on this forum, sorry that I have to report numerous problems in term of usability of the software.

I'm on a mac pro 2x3GHz, 4Go ram, 8800GT...

- the viewports take an eternity to refresh after an object displacement or after a setting modification (interactive update on).

- the object selection in viewports can be very frustrating, impossible sometimes...

- the saving of all objects for example can be very long

The overall feeling is indeed like the previous post said, sluggish and impossible to use. Very upsetting as I'm hired to use lightwave and this affects considerably my productivity.

I don't want to install a beta, I cannot take the risk...
Maybe this doesn't come from the version 9.3.1 but from a bad setting...
Can other mac users of this version tell us if they encounter the same problems and maybe if they solved it...?

(sorry for the approx english)

scarabrae
05-22-2008, 04:14 AM
Hi,

First post for me on this forum, sorry that I have to report numerous problems in term of usability of the software.

I'm on a mac pro 2x3GHz, 4Go ram, 8800GT...

- the viewports take an eternity to refresh after an object displacement or after a setting modification (interactive update on).

- the object selection in viewports can be very frustrating, impossible sometimes...

- the saving of all objects for example can be very long

The overall feeling is indeed like the previous post said, sluggish and impossible to use. Very upsetting as I'm hired to use lightwave and this affects considerably my productivity.

I don't want to install a beta, I cannot take the risk...
Maybe this doesn't come from the version 9.3.1 but from a bad setting...
Can other mac users of this version tell us if they encounter the same problems and maybe if they solved it...?

(sorry for the approx english)

Your English is fine.... :thumbsup:

scarabrae
05-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Just installed latest build of Beta and things much improved.

Gates
05-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Invested in the latest and greatest to try to get big work completed against the clock. Great rendering times now - with OSX 5.2 on quad with Radeon and GeForce cards and LW 9.3 but workflow is like I wound the clock back 15 years and the thing is crawling with bugs. Please say that 9.5 will be better and will be soon.

Giacomo99
05-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Once more: 9.3 is all-but-broken on Intel Macs. You should either sign up for the 9.5 Open Beta (which in my experience is extremely fast and stable) or continue running 9.3 on your former machine until the official release of 9.5.

Chilton
05-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Open Beta is where all the action is right now. It's worth it. And if you don't like it, you just dump it in the trash. It won't affect your 9.3.1 install at all (other than that it uses the same prefs).

-Chilton