PDA

View Full Version : Best way to try out the trial?

pneuma
05-18-2008, 05:44 PM
I want to find my way around the feature limited version of the LW trial as much as possible before I register so I can get the most out of it once I do.

Can anyone recommend a good set of tuts that can be done with only the features available in the unregistered feature limited version of LW?

Also, I heard 9.3 was supposed to have some limited FBX and Collada features, but I don't see them in in the trial. Are they there and I'm just not seeing them because I haven't registered it yet?

SplineGod
05-18-2008, 08:51 PM
9.5 is supposed to have the FBX and Collada features.
Pretty much any tuts should work with the trial version.

BeeVee
05-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Hmm, I don't think you can download the content that comes with LightWave v9 until you have registered, so it will be a sleepless 30 days (and nights!) :D If you can find scenes you can load those into the Discovery Edition with no problem, but for modelling you will need to artificially separate your model into 400-point layers to get around that limitation with the Discovery mode. Keep us posted on your progress?

B

Andyjaggy
05-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Just got an email about the trial. Dark gray text on a dark red background. I couldn't even read it. Please tell me this was just the way hotmail was showing it?

Steamthrower
05-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Lucky you, actually getting the email.

For the past 2 years I've been trying to get newsletters and updates. Yet to get a single one. Heck, I'd take yellow text on a pink background as long as I got something!

dwburman
05-20-2008, 10:52 AM
I got white text on the red BG.... also, The 30-day trial version shouldn't be feature limited at all. The Discovery Edition (any time you run LW without a dongle or license) is feature limited. Maybe you need to register for the trial to get the 30-day code.

here's the email I got.

Dear LightWaveŽ Owner,

If you are using LightWaveŽ [8] or an earlier version, we want to invite you to try our free LightWave 3DŽ Trial Edition. You can download the software now from http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial and experience all of the new capabilities in the latest version of LightWave. The trial edition is identical to a full license of LightWave 9.3.1 in all major respects for 30 days. 24 hours of video training, over 130 MB of example royalty-free content and PDF manuals are all available to accompany the trial edition. It can sit alongside your existing copy of LightWave and you can compare the benefits of using the latest version.

Already upgraded to LightWave v9? Take this opportunity to let your friends and colleagues know they have the chance to check LightWave out for free.

Your Friends at NewTek

pneuma
05-20-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm aware of how the trial and discovery modes work, I just don't have enough time to get the full experience of LW in 30 days, so I've decided not to register it and learn as much as I can in discovery mode before the clock starts ticking.

dwburman
05-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Sounds like a good plan.