PDA

View Full Version : Raw meat surfacing?

Steamthrower
05-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I am having a hard time getting a good look for a medical commercial I'm doing at the moment. Unfortunately this has a pretty short deadline.

I'm modeling an organ (a heart to be specific) which will be fully exposed, pumping. I've got all the animation, rigging, and scene setup done, it's just that I'm having problems getting a good photorealistic surface for my model.

Not to gross anyone out, but the producer wants a very photorealistic surface...wet and bloody. I've tried layering procedurals and using SSS for the outer surface (for the wet look) but I'm failing miserably.

Any tips? I'm horrible at nodal surfacing, and that's just what I need at the moment.

Thanks,
Gil

Giacomo99
05-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Post a screen cap if you can.

If it were me, I'd start by buying an actual beef heart, scanning it on my flatbed scanner, and painting a texture map from the scan. That seems a lot easier than trying to fake the subtle variations in meat with procedurals. Just my two cents.

Hopper
05-18-2008, 12:45 PM
If it were me, I'd start by buying an actual beef heart, scanning it on my flatbed scanner

Yeah, my wife loves it when she catches me putting dead bloody animal parts on the scanner. And it's always a bonus when you didn't see that one little chunk that falls behind the desk ...

Steamthrower
05-18-2008, 01:02 PM
If it were me, I'd start by buying an actual beef heart, scanning it on my flatbed scanner, and painting a texture map from the scan. That seems a lot easier than trying to fake the subtle variations in meat with procedurals. Just my two cents.

Thanks, that's a great idea. I'll have to cover my scanner in plastic wrap or something if I go that direction...bloody dead animal parts and all.

I'll see about getting clearance for the screen caps and the final render. Not sure when exactly this commercial is due to air and how sensitive the client is. Doctors are weird birds.

Giacomo99
05-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah, my wife loves it when she catches me putting dead bloody animal parts on the scanner. And it's always a bonus when you didn't see that one little chunk that falls behind the desk ...

Great art cannot exist without risk and personal sacrifice. ;)

Steamthrower
05-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Hmm...I've been testing it a bit and I'm doubting I can get the look I want without some extra LW buzz...nodally. I've built a bank of nodes that looks like a tangled spiderweb, yet still can't get the damp, soft look I'm wanting...even layered on top of an image texture I'm not sure about this.

jameswillmott
05-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Are you using any SSS for the soft meat look?

Scazzino
05-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Here's a medical animation I did a while ago. Near the end of the thread I posted some sample surfaces that might get you started at least...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71935&highlight=omega
:beerchug:

Steamthrower
05-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Mr. Scazzino, those nodal setups might just be the leapboard to saving my butt. I'm going to seriously dissect those and extract what juices I can. Thanks a lot!

JeffrySG
05-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Also remember that 'wet' equals a lot of specular highlight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Coronary_artery_bypass_surgery_Image_657B-PH.jpg

Steamthrower
05-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Right, good point to remember. I've had to jump up the spec and put some bright lights...in this case the brighter the better.

I'm very happy with where this is going, and I'll post a render tonight (an animation if I can get it done). Thanks a lot guys for the help!

Now, I just wish liquids were easy to do...

JeffrySG
05-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Now, I just wish liquids were easy to do...
...and don't forget peace on earth and stuff like that too.... :devil:

Matt
05-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Also remember that 'wet' equals a lot of specular highlight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Coronary_artery_bypass_surgery_Image_657B-PH.jpg

Thanks for that Jeff! ;)

Blllleeeeuuurrrrgh!

Steamthrower
05-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Blllleeeeuuurrrrgh!

Yeah, seeing someone's open chest cavity was the right way to start my day!

Hmm, lunch time now...Subway, Pizza Hut, or Whole Hog?

RollerJesus
05-19-2008, 11:52 AM
I'd just eat what was left on the scanner.

JeffrySG
05-19-2008, 12:11 PM
hahaha

I'd just eat what was left on the scanner.
just make sure it's not a human heart on the scanner!

Giacomo99
05-19-2008, 12:58 PM
just make sure it's not a human heart on the scanner!
But how are we going to get Modeler and Layout integrated into a single app without sacrificing to the software gods?

JeffrySG
05-19-2008, 12:59 PM
^when you're right, your right! :D

Steamthrower
05-19-2008, 01:10 PM
If I get an actual organ for reference, after use I'll conduct a ceremony in honor of Chuk, the god of modeling.

GregMalick
05-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Interesting article in HRDI about "I Legend".
Seems they left raw meat rot on the rooftop and photographed it at various stages of decomposition. This was for the zombie skin effect.

Notice they photographed it - not scanned.

BTW, amazing how orange that heart looks. Hardly red at all.

Steamthrower
05-19-2008, 03:26 PM
I was noticing that...even if it's the real look I'm going for a very red color since that's the popular conception...but I wonder if in the photo the heart's orangeish because of the surgery lights or something?

Ack, you made me look at the picture again. I'm going to have to watch The Hills Have Eyes again to wash my brain of the realism.

Steamthrower
05-19-2008, 08:48 PM
One step closer to non-futility...this is just a quick organ mock-up in place of a heart, to test surface settings.

Steamthrower
05-19-2008, 09:23 PM
One step closer to non-futility...this is just a quick organ mock-up in place of a heart, to test surface settings.

I feel like I'm spamming my own thread.

Have to figure out how to remove the polygon lines...

JeffrySG
05-20-2008, 12:08 PM
looking better and better!

Steamthrower
05-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Never uploaded a movie before...really low quality at the moment.

JeffrySG
05-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Looks pretty good! Not sure that is the way a heart beats though. Don't know how accurate you want that to look? I'm assuming you're going for a more stylized look and feel, right?

Steamthrower
05-22-2008, 08:03 AM
This isn't the heart model that will go into the final commercial...originally I'd made this one to test out some endomorphs. The final model is anatomically accurate with all the valves and veins (still figuring out how to surface the veins nicely).

I'm going to have to find some pumping reference, which is proving almost impossible to find some nice views of. Hopefully I'll be able to find some for free. I don't want to pay for any and I don't want to ask the producer to buy any, so off to YouTube I go!