PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave fluids

erikals
05-18-2008, 11:02 AM
This is probably not intersting but I e-mailed a guy and found that he is betatesting a fluidsplugin for Lightwave with a "FPrime-like" interface.

Will probably be shown at Siggraph.

Later,

tonybliss
05-18-2008, 11:27 AM
you being sarcastic about the 'not interesting' bit ... yeah

nice !!!

erikals
05-18-2008, 04:10 PM
heh, couldn't help it :)

At first I thought it was false rumours, but the guy is actually betatesting the software, released for Lightwave first, then for Maya. (yep, in that order)

He wasn't sure what the price would be, not his call, but was guessing around $1000

erikals
05-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Forgot to say, it is somewhat like Flowline quality if I understod it right.

Jim M
05-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Flowline quality.... good.. about time :)

alvin_cgi
05-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Would you ask THE guy give us some screen shots (videos would be great!:thumbsup:), promised we won’t tell anyone else.:beerchug:

Ztreem
05-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Flowline? Fprime interface? for LW first? Wow! this sounds too good. I hope this doesn't turn into somthing like PIM.

NAS
05-19-2008, 03:22 AM
There has been many rumours about this emerging recently from a few boards and channels
Looking forward to see if its cool

NAS

prometheus
05-19-2008, 05:10 AM
aha..checking the date, and itīs not april the first:)

sounds sweet, a competition for dynamite perhaps wich is needed, if it has smoke and fire to.

Michael

lardbros
05-19-2008, 05:43 AM
Well my first impression is that this may never arrive, but fingers crossed and maybe if someone pointed me towards the places where these rumours began, i might believe it! :)

Just me being cynical!

erikals
05-19-2008, 06:01 AM
Fun stuff isn't it? :)

I'm quite sure this will be released, there are two factors though, when, and how much, those are not quite set. The program is ready but is being debugged, so release date can't be too far away.

More people are getting into making fluid programs these days, and maybe finally there can be some real competition between Flowline, Realflow, This one (nickname Eddy), Glu3D and others, resulting in bigger pricedrops.

He also mentioned something like it is the same logic behind Flowline with 2 additional capabilities, but not sure what that ment.

Pretty cool :)

JohnMarchant
05-19-2008, 06:07 AM
Thanks erikals for the heads up, i like lardbros will wait with baited breat for it to arrive (if it ever does). If your idea of price is correct it will count me out, to expensive for me to justify.

As lardbros said it would be nice to see some official word or at least an inkling of what it can do.

Regards, John

prometheus
05-19-2008, 06:38 AM
yeah..heavy on the price, but that must be expected I think if itīs gonna match up against maya fluids and fumefx.

if it will land on the 1000$ price range I wouldnīt have any big trouble to afford it if it can compete with fumefx and maya fluids, I would rather have a little more expensive fluid tool that can perform more than less.

Dynamite seems cool and so on but It hasnīt been developed in such way that I was expecting, so if there would be a fluid such as fumefx for lightwave, I would have put my money on that even if it costs more, Fumefx will however not be developed for lightwave thatīs what I have been told after mailing sitni.

Iīm hoping they will integrate the fluids with particles also like fume fx.

And if itīs well done, why not a deal with newtek and bundle it up with lightwave releases like maya unlimited perhaps.

Michael

JamesCurtis
05-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Let's hope the plugin would be significanly LOWER than a grand!! I'd consider it for about $400 or a little higher, and hopefully there will be a fully working trial version demo to try it out properly when it does get released!!

erikals
05-19-2008, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't expect it to be lower, in fact I wouldn't be surpised if it was priced higher,..
I know most won't buy it as of a high price, but as the quality is of flowline quality the price will be high. I too have been hoping for some fluids that is of a lower price, but for now that doesn't seam to be around any corner. However, there is Blender though, which is free, though not so straight forward.

For smoke I don't know, hard to say when there will be some better smoke than Dynamite around. Could be this new program could handle it, after all Realflow can make smoke, though the big problem with realflow is one has to use a Python script or something, and it is hard to find info on how to go about it.

wavk
05-19-2008, 07:49 AM
interesting.

mlon

Titus
05-19-2008, 08:56 AM
I know most won't buy it as of a high price, but as the quality is of flowline quality the price will be high.

So this "fluid simulator" is parametric like flowline?

erikals
05-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Not sure, he couldn't say much more than that, we'll have to wait 'till Siggraph I guess, unless more info gets posted on some forums or something.

GregMalick
05-19-2008, 02:43 PM
IMO:

If the quality is like Flowline, I'd expect multiples of the $1000.
Even if it's a serious Realflow competitor I wouldn't expect under $1200.

In the real world, that kinda quality doesn't come cheap.

erikals: Thanks for the info. Can you ask your friend whether it will be integrated or standalone?

NAS
05-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes but in the realworld putting a price tag that high isn't realistic if it is more than the base app it is designed to run in
Personally i would make it much cheaper and sell more copies but it is down to the individual dev
Lets be honest if they are attending Sigraph as an exhibitor then its gonna be $3000 plus
LOL

NAS

erikals
05-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Siggraph will show the truth, (if there is one :))
Only 2 months and 3 weeks now...

alvin_cgi
05-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Sounds like 2 years and 3 months...:devil: thats killing me...:twak:

Siggraph will show the truth, (if there is one :))
Only 2 months and 3 weeks now...

loki74
05-20-2008, 03:29 AM
Yes but in the realworld putting a price tag that high isn't realistic if it is more than the base app it is designed to run in
Personally i would make it much cheaper and sell more copies but it is down to the individual dev

Eh, I tend to disagree--in the "real [business] world," what matters most is "what the market will bear" (ie, sellers try to find the market-clearing price). Sure, the relative price of the base app may affect this slightly (it may give a leftward nudge to the demand curve), but I think the greater impact will be the performance, feature-richness, stability, ease-of-use, etc of the product. The proof is in the pudding, whether you make said pudding in your kitchen or someone else's...

JMCarrigan
05-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Fi' dolla fi' dolla, everthing fi' dolla. In my real world, everything costs five dollars. Really really real.

erikals
05-20-2008, 06:10 PM
You sure that's not Zimbabwe dollar?

prospector
06-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Fi' dolla fi' dolla, everthing fi' dolla. In my real world, everything costs five dollars.

Yea, base prices on everything SHOULD be based on a Subway sandwich :hey:

JMCarrigan
06-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Dang tooting Prospector.

Cageman
07-19-2008, 05:26 PM
So... how is this progressing? Any hints or news?

erikals
08-02-2008, 10:56 AM
njet,

i emailed him though, maybe he will tell something.

otherwise, 9 days to go :)

silviotoledo
08-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Isn't it D Storm's one is it?

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/products/plugins/liquidPack/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxA53tDffBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64S7-uLQiC4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfUn2vP0ucA

SonicMotion
08-11-2008, 12:49 PM
so, where is it?

cresshead
08-11-2008, 04:30 PM
it has to be much better than blender's otherwise it'sll have a hard time selling.

prometheus
08-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Still Nada....

erikals
08-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Yo,
No/Yes sort of...

Was first told they were heading for a Siggraph launch but that is delayd.
(surprise-surprise, welcome to the world of 3D : ) )

He hadn't talked to the programmer for some time so was unsure of the progress.
That's all I know for now,..

At this link HeliVis mentions the app, (search Lightwave)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pmm9UKqc5I

lardbros
08-14-2008, 01:13 PM
So it's the Scanline/Flowline fluid solver that's being done for LW? Or am i misunderstanding something?

That hasn't even been released at all for anything yet? They've been here at Siggraph, but so far only saw them at the Autodesk party advertising their services, not the product!

erikals
08-14-2008, 01:29 PM
No, it is not Flowline, though it has simillarities.
this is a new product, betanamed "Eddy" that is supposedly much better than Flowline (!)

too bad it didn't make the Siggraph date :/ kinda sucks :/

Lewis
08-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Would be interesting to see something better than this :). Can it be better than this :D :D?

erikals
08-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah,.. :)

If it sounds too good to be true, it often is,.. but I have a feelin' 'bout this one : )

RTSchramm
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
I like Blender, but after reading the book "Bounce, Tumble, and Splash!: Simulating the Physical World with Blender 3D" the author explains the limitations of the Blender fluids dynamics that the range of the fluid can not exceed 15 meters. It seems that no one mentions this. He states that the Blender's fluid simulator was not intended for recreating oceans, but just for small liquid effects only.

That said, has anyone used the built in liquid simulator in Maya Unlimited? If so does it do spill effects like Blender?

Rich

Red_Oddity
08-15-2008, 03:00 AM
So it's the Scanline/Flowline fluid solver that's being done for LW? Or am i misunderstanding something?

That hasn't even been released at all for anything yet? They've been here at Siggraph, but so far only saw them at the Autodesk party advertising their services, not the product!

That's because they don't sell any product, they sell a service.

silviotoledo
08-15-2008, 05:50 AM
Scanline/Flowline did a great job on NARNIA II !

Blender fluids is better than maya ones for watter, I imagine, but maya have total shape control.

" Eddy " ????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxyYYEca6pM

cresshead
08-15-2008, 06:50 AM
I like Blender, but after reading the book "Bounce, Tumble, and Splash!: Simulating the Physical World with Blender 3D" the author explains the limitations of the Blender fluids dynamics that the range of the fluid can not exceed 15 meters. It seems that no one mentions this. He states that the Blender's fluid simulator was not intended for recreating oceans, but just for small liquid effects only.

That said, has anyone used the built in liquid simulator in Maya Unlimited? If so does it do spill effects like Blender?

Rich

watched the autodesk siggy where frantic film went thru their ocean/fluid fx for the jorney to the centre of the earth useing 3dsmax and flood/krakatoa

their sim for the ocean was 3mile by 3mile by 5 feet deep...had to be that large a sim as they were shooting for 3d projection where 2d compositing simply doesn't work when you project for a 3d film

amazing work wioth the flood tools.

silviotoledo
08-15-2008, 07:38 AM
You will probably find the same limitations in Realflow and Flowtrace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AiLyQWXjIg

Althought scale is not real, the result is amazing and compositing will save it!

Maya fluids is amazing, but maya is not so good for watter splashes as realflow or other dedicated plugins, except if you code it.

Did you see that film with Kevin Costner? It's lightwave + realflow + heavy codes. Better than Perfect Storm from ILM done on maya.

cresshead
08-15-2008, 07:42 AM
yeah but perfect storm came out 8 years ago in 2000 so the fx for it were setup/pipline created in maya when?...1998-1999...like 10 years ago!...so would have been on pentiumIII 700mhz? or more possibly an sgi monster pc now worth Ģ100 on ebay!

eek!

silviotoledo
08-15-2008, 07:52 AM
BLENDER OCEAN WITH REALISTIC FOAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHKVNoECO8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxskeL-yCro&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxskeL-yCro&feature=related

BLENDER FLUIDS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK4b6pOcnVU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2owqK5Ky64E&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhKs9clRS4&feature=related

BLENDER VERSUS FLOWLINE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yEdiIw2VWY&feature=related

I guess flowline have better resolutions calculation but we can get amazing results with blender.

silviotoledo
08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
You're right. They just used lightwave because it's a cheap solution with no rendernode limits ( I mean limited to 1500 ).

Maya and Houdine probably would getter better results and faster, but I can't inamige how much would cost up to 500 licences for rendering.

Anyway, I hope we will see this cool plugin " Eddy" for lightwave, althought reaflow is there. Hope it's better integrated with lightwave than this one.

4dartist
08-15-2008, 08:02 AM
If it did fire/smoke fluid we'd be all over that. Not super interested in water, but im sure a lot of people are.

Cageman
08-15-2008, 09:14 AM
yeah but perfect storm came out 8 years ago in 2000 so the fx for it were setup/pipline created in maya when?...1998-1999...like 10 years ago!...so would have been on pentiumIII 700mhz? or more possibly an sgi monster pc now worth Ģ100 on ebay!

eek!

I think that many shots looked better in Coastguard compared to Poseidon, and those two were done the same year. LW+RealFlow vs ILM....

EDIT: The Guardian, not Costguard. *lol*

Cageman
08-15-2008, 09:16 AM
You're right. They just used lightwave because it's a cheap solution with no rendernode limits ( I mean limited to 1500 ).

Maya and Houdine probably would getter better results and faster, but I can't inamige how much would cost up to 500 licences for rendering.

Anyway, I hope we will see this cool plugin " Eddy" for lightwave, althought reaflow is there. Hope it's better integrated with lightwave than this one.

Actually, they did try to do the bidding scene with Maya, but ended up with LW because the solution was based on a "basic" approach.

You can read up about it in the Case Study....

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/case_studies/FlashFilmWorks/index.php

silviotoledo
08-15-2008, 03:30 PM
About THE GUARDIAN...

As I understand, they used real footage sequences as map and displacement maps to generate the watter and added custom controls to manipulate the shapes manually.

( I've seen a great tutorial where the artist uses sock monkey and bones to SHAPE a cloth fx simulation and get a kind of manipulating control to cloth displacement simulation. I can't remember who did this tutorial now. )

So, they needed realflow to add splashes, dust and foam on some areas to acheive realism, once lightwave have no dynamic fluids.

The same technique can be reproduced in Maya althought ILM tried it totally using physics simulation and procedural texturing.

But sure lightwave is easier to work and faster on rendering.

Cageman
08-15-2008, 05:27 PM
The same technique can be reproduced in Maya

Hmm... that depends though. If we are talking about displacement maps, it's not as trivial in Maya as in Lightwave. As an example, you can attach a texture or procedural as a displacement in LW and use a Null to controll where and when the displacement accour and also animate the effect and it updates in realtime in the viewport, and this is dead easy to setup as well. This is something one of our tooldevelopers spent some time developing for Maya, since it doesn't do this by default (he developed a custom shader).

ezomer
10-07-2008, 07:29 PM
any news ?

erikals
10-07-2008, 10:39 PM
nope, my contact doesn't seem to respond, we'll just have to wait and see...
bit disapointed in that, but that's how it goes...

Netvudu
10-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Currently I prefer much more Houdini over Maya for fluid effects. Maya fluids are nice for smoke, but nothing else unless you make some humongous amount of coding (but then again, thatīs Mayaīs workflow for anything FX related.Thousands of MEL code lines)
Houdini since version 9.5 showcases both particles fluids a la Realflow (a bit slower for particles than RF, but with a better and faster mesh builder) and also volume fluids a la Maya. Having these two ways of creating fluids totally integrated into the package, so that you can make them interact with particles, geometry, etc..it is priceless for anyone interested in FX. Of course itīs not the easiest thing to learn, but itīs really a wonderful system.
Still, considering how nice LW render is, Iīm also pretty interested in this solution. Flowline rocks, so anything similar (or better?!) in quality must be interesting, certainly.

dmack
10-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Is this going to be one of those vapourware things? It'd be really dissappointing if it is. I'm just surprised that if he was in beta, you'd have thought he'd be starting the hype. If it's even nearly as good as flowlines and going to be for LW, you'd have really thought he'd be pushing it prior to release. For that reason, I'm not going to get excited....

Intuition
10-09-2008, 09:36 AM
On this subject, I noticed that Softimage is trying to get its own fluid dynamics solver to do fluids and smoke.

Read here......

http://www.softimage.com/press/releases/2008/081007_exocortex.aspx

As an XSi user I am pretty hopeful. ICE is neat but a fluid solver would be better imho.

;)

I am currently on a project where I am using LW for the scene construction and then I do an FBX to max and match the camera FOV and lens and then do FUME-fx in max with matched lighting and matched matte objects. Then it gets comped together. Fluid box effects are great for explosions and smoke and what not.

I have done some cool tests with realflow particles and LW voxels as well. The potential for all this stuff is neat.

erikals
10-09-2008, 10:25 AM
...he might have gotten annoyed as I replied a bit late,
if anyone feel like giving it a shot he can be contacted here,
(ask for "fluids in lightwave" or something)
http://www.youtube.com/user/HeliVis

(the program is mentioned by him on this page)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pmm9UKqc5I

Netvudu
10-09-2008, 11:12 AM
On this subject, I noticed that Softimage is trying to get its own fluid dynamics solver to do fluids and smoke.

Read here......

http://www.softimage.com/press/releases/2008/081007_exocortex.aspx

As an XSi user I am pretty hopeful. ICE is neat but a fluid solver would be better imho.

;)

I am currently on a project where I am using LW for the scene construction and then I do an FBX to max and match the camera FOV and lens and then do FUME-fx in max with matched lighting and matched matte objects. Then it gets comped together. Fluid box effects are great for explosions and smoke and what not.

I have done some cool tests with realflow particles and LW voxels as well. The potential for all this stuff is neat.

Fume FX is very nice, but there two problems with it, IMHO of course. First of all, once youīve seen 50 smoke fx done with FumeFX they all start looking like "FumeFXish smoke" as opposed to real smoke. This is understandable. What is less forgivable is that given the nature of MAX, nothing works with nothing else :p Itīs very hard if even possible to make FumeFX to coop with deformations, geometry, and a long etc...

ICE is looking definitely interesting, specially for XSI existing users. For me, as a current Houdini user it holds no interest as itīs attempts to use a similar principle but it is currently way less developed. It looks like a crippled Houdini section put into XSI. It does take full advantage of hardware, which is sometihng SideFX could take a few hints from.

Cageman
10-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Wrong Thread! :)

erikals
10-09-2008, 03:39 PM
LoL! :D didn't quite see the connection :)

Cageman
10-09-2008, 03:41 PM
LoL! :D didn't quite see the connection :)

Hehe... well...

It would be kind of cool to base a physics engine on this theory:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512

erikals
10-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Hm, wonder if he got that physics degree by having a beard and some glasses.

Glendalough
10-10-2008, 04:22 AM
Currently I prefer much more Houdini over Maya for fluid effects. Maya fluids are nice for smoke, but nothing else unless you make some humongous amount of coding (but then again, thatīs Mayaīs workflow for anything FX related.Thousands of MEL code lines)
Houdini since version 9.5 showcases both particles fluids a la Realflow (a bit slower for particles than RF, but with a better and faster mesh builder) and also volume fluids a la Maya. Having these two ways of creating fluids totally integrated into the package, so that you can make them interact with particles, geometry, etc..it is priceless for anyone interested in FX. Of course itīs not the easiest thing to learn, but itīs really a wonderful system.
Still, considering how nice LW render is, Iīm also pretty interested in this solution. Flowline rocks, so anything similar (or better?!) in quality must be interesting, certainly.

Hi Netvudu,

Wondering is there anyway to export particles out of Houdini to LW? (Presume the meshes would be no problem). Would the particle information not just be a list of point coordinates changing over each frame, a bit like MDDs? Know you have written some code, plugins so thought you might have something to say on this.

Found that other thread a few Months back on exporting shattered geometry very interesting:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86307

Went through a few of the experiments and after a few tries with some help from the sidefx forum managed to easily get hardfx animations into LW via MDDs, this all in the free version. The trouble now is, to utilize Houdini's amazing particle FX within Lightwave doesn't seem possible except through compositing. Any ideas?

dmack
10-15-2008, 03:28 AM
Bumpety bump - Anyone got any news on this fluid plugin for Ligtwave? I'm really hoping it's for real...and that it's being done such that it integrates well (workd with dof, relfec, refract, mblur, etc). Surely, if this plugin is for real, there must be SOME news?!?!? Can someone email him and see what's up?

prometheus
10-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Has not something to do with this?
http://www.tsnstudios.com/Demo_Reel.aspx
But they don't have fluids... just nice dynamics that are worth watching anyway... have fun. :)

That was sweet, a real contender for blast code and houdini I guess.

Probably it has nothing to do with the fluids talked about wich I am suspecting was no more than rumors.

And will this demolition software be able to work with Lightwave in some kind of plugin manner? donīt think so:(

Michael

Intuition
10-16-2008, 01:46 AM
Fume FX is very nice, but there two problems with it, IMHO of course. First of all, once youīve seen 50 smoke fx done with FumeFX they all start looking like "FumeFXish smoke" as opposed to real smoke. This is understandable. What is less forgivable is that given the nature of MAX, nothing works with nothing else :p Itīs very hard if even possible to make FumeFX to coop with deformations, geometry, and a long etc...

Hmm... Thats strange because I can get fume FX to interact with about everything I have tried from geometry, deformations, and even the wind and gravity parameters work with it as well.

Pretty much most my experiments work as assumed so far. Also, I have use it to make dry ice, fire, plasma, cigarette smoke, billowy smoke, dark black burning oil smooth smoke, etc. Driven by both objects and by particles I can create alot of different looks. Not to mention plugging it into cebas thinking particles.

Yet, houdini is neat and all and I wouldn't try to discourage anyone from getting into it.

My hope is that the XSI collaboration will extend ICE by huge amounts. I bought binary alchemy's plug in before it became an official "ice shader" and really liked how fast it could draw voxels. Much much faster and higher quality then what I was used to in lw voxels. I think lw voxels is due for a big update.

They were the boss when they were new.

Now you have this to contend with. The details have details.

http://screendream.de/images/Fractal_Flowers.jpg

dmack
10-16-2008, 07:57 AM
That is beautiful! Is this something that Thomas Hezel has written? I 'know' him from the Messiah forum (before he left which was a real shame for messiah!). WOw, if we could have someting like that for Lightwave!!!!

dmack
10-16-2008, 07:57 AM
So, no news from the guy supposedly writing the lightwave fluids thing then?

Netvudu
10-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Hmm... Thats strange because I can get fume FX to interact with about everything I have tried from geometry, deformations, and even the wind and gravity parameters work with it as well.

Pretty much most my experiments work as assumed so far. Also, I have use it to make dry ice, fire, plasma, cigarette smoke, billowy smoke, dark black burning oil smooth smoke, etc. Driven by both objects and by particles I can create alot of different looks. Not to mention plugging it into cebas thinking particles.

Can you make FumeFX fluids to drive particles or to affect RBDs? (as opposed to using those two things to generate FumeFX fluids). If the answer is yes, then I was wrong about the tool. My apologies.

dmack
11-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Any news on this or is it a case of vapourware?

Netvudu
11-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi Netvudu,

Wondering is there anyway to export particles out of Houdini to LW? (Presume the meshes would be no problem). Would the particle information not just be a list of point coordinates changing over each frame, a bit like MDDs? Know you have written some code, plugins so thought you might have something to say on this.

Found that other thread a few Months back on exporting shattered geometry very interesting:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86307

Went through a few of the experiments and after a few tries with some help from the sidefx forum managed to easily get hardfx animations into LW via MDDs, this all in the free version. The trouble now is, to utilize Houdini's amazing particle FX within Lightwave doesn't seem possible except through compositing. Any ideas?

I didnīt see this reply! Sorry Glendalough.
Thereīs a way right now to get particles into LW, using the Realflow exporter from Houdini and the importer in LW. Iīve done it myself and works ok, though I recall I couldnīt access the "life" attribute from particles in LW, which was a major letdown. Iīve been told it is possible though, so I should look into it again.
Also, not strictly speaking about particles, geometry with variable number of points can be brought into LW as a geometry sequence (thereīs a free .obj to .lwo batch converter around). This solves many problems, but brings another one to the board, and that is not having motion blur.
Eetu, another Lw/Houdini user, wrote a plugin that allows to import geo in LW with the velocity attribute as an endomorph, effectively allowing for motion blur in LW, but he warns himself about the stability of this tool.

Here hoping you eventually read this, and that it helps.

prometheus
11-02-2008, 09:54 PM
how sweet..
eh..have to check both getting hardfx to lw throu this..and fluids.
not sure..how much time to spend on this thou..might start looking at blender but I have come to start getting used to houdini now so much that even some lightwave workflows feels akward now, and hate the blender interface.

ahh..I was just doing some sweet particle flows in houdini, but have not learned have to use sprites properly so I wanted to get the particles in to Lightwave and use hypervoxels that I know pretty well.
Is the houdini realflow exporter/lightwave importer free ?

Michael

prometheus
11-02-2008, 11:06 PM
hmm..seems to be out on deep water trying to find a houdini real flow exporter...I downloaded the real flow demo and got links to all plugins but the
links for houdini were broken, only the open source was available, donīt know about that.

Well the apprentice version donīt support fbx export, but otherwise I guess that could export particles and import well with Lightwave 9.5?

something else out there would be nice.

Michael

zapper1998
11-03-2008, 01:45 AM
wow would be nice

Netvudu
11-03-2008, 03:36 AM
hey prometheus,

You can download the Realflow exporter from the second page at this thread

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=6664&st=0

Dunno,if you have to be registered, but I donīt think so.
In the next page of the thread you have a tutorial on importing those particles into MAX via the Reaflow tool. I havenīt checked the tut yet it canīt be that different.
Besides, the whole proccess is quite easy.

Stooch
11-03-2008, 11:27 PM
you can easily get realflow plugins directly from nextlimit, just register for a demo and go nuts.

Red_Oddity
11-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Did Next Limit fix the texturing with RF meshes?
I ask because last time i screwed about with it i had to load a couple of hundred frames of +1 million poly meshes into modeler to assign surfaces because the sequence loader loaded the surface material per frame per mesh.

Netvudu
11-04-2008, 02:44 PM
you can easily get realflow plugins directly from nextlimit, just register for a demo and go nuts.

Not this one. Houdini plugin is a third party effort. I understand that Next Limit isnīt supporting Houdini anymore, since Houdini already has its own particle fluids and fluid mesher tools.
The plugin comes in handy though, for importing Houdini particles into LW.

Glendalough
11-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I didnīt see this reply! Sorry Glendalough.
Thereīs a way right now to get particles into LW, using the Realflow exporter from Houdini and the importer in LW. Iīve done it myself and works ok, though I recall I couldnīt access the "life" attribute from particles in LW, which was a major letdown. Iīve been told it is possible though, so I should look into it again.
Also, not strictly speaking about particles, geometry with variable number of points can be brought into LW as a geometry sequence (thereīs a free .obj to .lwo batch converter around). This solves many problems, but brings another one to the board, and that is not having motion blur.
Eetu, another Lw/Houdini user, wrote a plugin that allows to import geo in LW with the velocity attribute as an endomorph, effectively allowing for motion blur in LW, but he warns himself about the stability of this tool.

Here hoping you eventually read this, and that it helps.

Thanks for the info Netvudu. Yes, can see the motion blur on the imported meshes would be a problem, but am mostly just interested in importing the particles at present.

I downloaded the plugin and the tutorial which looks good... only wondering now if this is going to work on OSX? Or do Mac users need to have a different version, compilation, wonder is this a big deal?

Downloaded:
Houdini.RealFlow_H9.5_gcc4.1_v1.0.93.tar.gz

Netvudu
11-05-2008, 05:18 PM
oh, you work with Mac....well, no idea. Iīm afraid there are Windows and Linux versions, but donīt know at all about a Mac version...you might ask at that odforce thread. The developer is one of the posters there.

Glendalough
11-09-2008, 11:40 AM
oh, you work with Mac....well, no idea. Iīm afraid there are Windows and Linux versions, but donīt know at all about a Mac version...you might ask at that odforce thread. The developer is one of the posters there.

Hi Netvudu,

Maybe I'll ask as you suggest and see what they have to say.

Really like this 'evilsphere' animation:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=8055

prometheus
11-09-2008, 04:01 PM
That was one cool sucker:)

I would have liked to see a slower attraction in the second movie sample thou..they are sucked up to fast to give a good impression, but awesome stuff indeed, canīt imagine how to produce this advanced particle fluid stuff inside of lightwave for now.

Michael

erikals
11-09-2008, 04:37 PM
No can do I think...
hmm, reminds me very much of the effect in the stadion scene in
"The day the eart stood still" trailer. Pretty cool effect.

serge
11-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I hope one day we'll see these kind of fluids in Lightwave :D. So beautiful: http://www.nozon.net/colorflow/Downloads_.html

Netvudu
11-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I had some beers two nights ago with the guy that did that evil sphere project at odforce. A very nice german chap (hence, the beers :D). Quite talented as well.
Heīs been working into riggin (with MAX,...ugh!) for the last two years, and got quite burnt from that, and swears he wontībe taking any other job if itīs not Houdini-centric.
We also went to a chinese restaurant and introduced me into something called dim-sun which are some sort of chinese variety of meat pasty...quite yummy actually...

...I wonder if Iīm going pretty OT now with all this :p

prometheus
11-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I had some beers two nights ago with the guy that did that evil sphere project at odforce:p

Aha..I see, exploring fluids outside of the 3d world:)

Have to experiment more with houdini, thou the fluids seem so slow to calculate, Ivé seen fluids from maya and tested the Dynamite plugin from Lightwave and they seem all much faster to calculate..Ive tried narrow down the resolution but that gives a poor opengl representation and still slow..

have to check up how I can improve on fluid speed.

Michael

Red_Oddity
11-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Anyone catch the amazing Flowline fluid sim Scanline VFX did for Chronicles of Narnia:Prince Caspian? (only reason btw to watch this piece celluloid drivel)

Appearantly it is a single simulation (so everything in one simulation pass, it looked incredible)

Mr Rid
11-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Did Next Limit fix the texturing with RF meshes?
I ask because last time i screwed about with it i had to load a couple of hundred frames of +1 million poly meshes into modeler to assign surfaces because the sequence loader loaded the surface material per frame per mesh.

Theres a little standalone app that should be on the RF site somewhere that can batch apply surfaces to a sequence of meshes before they get into LW.

Titus
11-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Anyone catch the amazing Flowline fluid sim Scanline VFX did for Chronicles of Narnia:Prince Caspian? (only reason btw to watch this piece celluloid drivel)

Appearantly it is a single simulation (so everything in one simulation pass, it looked incredible)

Flowline is parametric, they can simulate very complex splashes.

jaxtone
12-07-2008, 06:37 AM
This is probably not intersting but I e-mailed a guy and found that he is betatesting a fluidsplugin for Lightwave with a "FPrime-like" interface.

Will probably be shown at Siggraph.

Later,

Do you have any updated information of what happend with this fluids plugin?

dmack
12-08-2008, 01:53 AM
I bet this plugin simulates vapours really really well. ;)

jaxtone
12-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Any one knows if itīs just rumours or are there links and previews to confirm it isnīs just dreams?

erikals
12-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Any one knows if itīs just rumours or are there links and previews to confirm it isnīs just dreams?

hi, wrote some partly answeres here,
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84246&page=4

jaxtone
12-09-2008, 04:54 AM
Yeah!

I know that there been some discussions about this on the forum, but what I wanīt is hard evidence.

This is a handicap in LW, to not having a fully working fluid simulator... easy to use with great results.

I know the price on Lightwave is low so you canīt have it all...

Any one knows what the price of Blender? :D

Ztreem
12-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Any one knows what the price of Blender? :D

Yes, it's free, so you can use anytime you want to do water. :thumbsup:

jaxtone
12-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Yes, it's free, so you can use anytime you want to do water. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the information but yes, I know Blender is for free!

Thats why I wrote it with a smiley after the text! Meaning that Blender is free and has a great fluid simulator, Lightwave cost but is dry as a desert!

jaxtone
12-10-2008, 11:33 AM

This is totally frustrating! There is a great fluid simulator that no one can get their hands on, at least as I know!

I contacted the developers of Flowline about a year ago, and they let me know that it ainīt for sale. Itīs their own innovation for their production company!

So it actually wonīt help me watching Narnia or any other film they have contributed in. It just makes me more frustrated knowing that I never will get my hands on that tool!

Ztreem
12-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Thank you for the information but yes, I know Blender is for free!

Thats why I wrote it with a smiley after the text! Meaning that Blender is free and has a great fluid simulator, Lightwave cost but is dry as a desert!

I just gave you a free tip. Free is good. :thumbsup:
(liquids for free= Blender, why don't use it?)