PDA

View Full Version : XP or Vista for new Mac Pro?

WShawn
05-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi:

We recently got a new 3.0Ghz 8 core Intel Mac Pro to replace my dual 2.5GHz G5 Power Mac. It's quite speedy. I had to render out a 30 second 1920x1080 animation for History Detectives last weekend, and it was going to take 35 hours with a 7 node network render (Renderfarm Commander) using the G5, a dual 1.2 GHz G4, a dual 1.0 Ghz G4 and a 1 GHz G4 ibook. So we hastily set up the new Mac Pro in the corner of our office, downloaded and installed the UB of Lightwave, transfered the project over and started the render. It took the Mac Pro 9 hours all by itself to complete the sequence. We were astonished that we could get the machine set up from scratch in less than an hour and get it going on the render.

Anyway, I'm looking into getting PolyTrans or AccuTrans or MOI to convert a Solidworks model into something Lightwave can ingest, so I'd need to install Windows XP or Vista to run those programs smoothly.

Which would you suggest, XP or Vista? Which version of XP or Vista would be sufficient for this type of infrequent work (home, pro, whatever?) I'm guessing I'd go with 32 bit, since I know almost about 64 bit.

Would you use Windows in boot camp (or whatever it's called in Leopard) or use one of the virtualization solutions like Parallels? How well do those work with 3D stuff?

I rarely dabble in Windows. I used Virtual PC on our G5 and it was sluggish as hell for the most rudimentary tasks; I never attempted any 3D in it.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

LastofTheLarrys
05-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi Shawn.

I use LW 9.3.1 on OSX 10.5.2 and on Vista. I have a new 8 core with 12GB of RAM and Lightwave routinely crashes on Vista.

I also use Polytrans in Vista and have had no problems with Polytrans/Vista. Polytrans is a very nice program. It doesn't seem to have the same tendency to crash as LW. I find the frequency of crashes in LW on Vista to be troubling, and am considering creating an XP partition in boot camp.

VM Ware for Vista has some serious openGL implementation flaws that make, for me at least, LW completely unusable in Fusion.

So I opt to dual boot and work with Lightwave/FPrime in Vista/Boot Camp, but if I need to network render I switch to OSX to take advantage of my system RAM. OSX sees all 12 GB. Vista 32 bit only sees 2GB. I'd switch to 64bit Vista, but Macdrive only works with 32bit Vista.

Good Luck,

L

bobakabob
05-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi Shawn.

I use LW 9.3.1 on OSX 10.5.2 and on Vista. I have a new 8 core with 12GB of RAM and Lightwave routinely crashes on Vista.

I also use Polytrans in Vista and have had no problems with Polytrans/Vista. Polytrans is a very nice program. It doesn't seem to have the same tendency to crash as LW. I find the frequency of crashes in LW on Vista to be troubling, and am considering creating an XP partition in boot camp.

VM Ware for Vista has some serious openGL implementation flaws that make, for me at least, LW completely unusable in Fusion.

So I opt to dual boot and work with Lightwave/FPrime in Vista/Boot Camp, but if I need to network render I switch to OSX to take advantage of my system RAM. OSX sees all 12 GB. Vista 32 bit only sees 2GB. I'd switch to 64bit Vista, but Macdrive only works with 32bit Vista.

Good Luck,

L

Is there a way of installing 64 bit Vista on a Mac? I've been toying with the idea of buying Apple gear but only if I can get a decent dual boot setup. If Vista 64 bit is out that's a big limitation. Also worrying Lightwave doesn't seem stable on Vista 32 on a Mac...

bobakabob
06-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info, Neverko. Apple machines are very competitively priced these days and a 64 bit dual boot set up would be hard to resist...

LastofTheLarrys
06-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Just remember that Macdrive, a great tool that allows Vista to read and write to Mac HFS formatted drives, doesn't support Vista 64. Only Vista 32. Hopefully they'll fix that in the near future.

LastofTheLarrys
06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Another note. I've noticed lately the stability issue seems to be related to scrolling around in FPrime in Vista. Generally it seems pretty stable otherwise.

Yarg
06-03-2008, 01:38 AM
I'd at least give parallels a shot. If it's just for Polytrans then it's much nicer having it run in Mac OS than dual booting. VMfusion says it can handle DirectX 9 making it sound like it's great for 3D graphics. It isn't. I develop shockwave 3D games on Mac and windows. They work flawlessly on Parallels and not at all on VMfusion and they're DirectX 7 games. Polytrans is OpenGL anyway and Parallels has the most stable 3D.

As for Vista or XP you can use either with bootcamp or Parallels. I'd go for Vista as it's more stable and shouldn't have any hitches with Polytrans

DiscreetFX
06-03-2008, 08:28 PM
You might get a performance hit by going with Vista, XP should be zippyer, is that a word?:)

BigHache
06-04-2008, 02:54 AM
Change the 'y' to 'i' and then add 'er'. :) Anything can be a word.

I don't believe Apple has yet added support for 64-bit Windows to Bootcamp. You can install it, but you're on your own if you run into issues.

3dworks
06-04-2008, 03:20 AM
i'm running xp pro 64 as selectable boot option on all three macpro's without any problems and using the LW win 64 installation mostly for rendering with fprime (which still has no UB version released) and for running polytrans. also, i can use all 8G of RAM in my macs for rendering large scenes in kray - which is becoming more and more frequent these days. until LW mac UB and its plugins will run natively 64 bit it will be the only solution to do so.

the xp pro 64 installation is not officially supported by apple, so you have to use the bootcamp utility to partition (only this way you can double boot), but need to install all of the hardware drivers manually. i strongly recommend the use of ntfs for osx from paragon software (or another solution involving macfuse), because osx only supports reading - this is making the installation process much easier: simply download the drivers (especially for networking) under mac, drag them to the win xp partition, restart under windows and install. it's also very handy later for moving or deleting any files directly on the win partition when in mac mode. do a search for 'bootcamp' on this forum for finding more about download driver links and other tips.

last note, from what you can read and hear around, xp is by far more stable to use than vista.

markus