PDA

View Full Version : Strange shapes in Left eye

Gary Heck
05-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing the strange shapes in the schlera of my dogs left eye?

I have tried loading the model in modeler and looking for out of place polygons. I have checked the eye for points being out of the polygonal plane. I have tried turning the key light and back light of individually to see if one of them might be causing a strange shadow.

Any other ideas?

Gary Heck
05-17-2008, 08:14 PM

Heres a photo.

Surrealist.
05-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Can you post an Extreme Close Up of the (ECU) of the eye? Get the camera up in there and produce a render. Right now it is guesswork and we cannot see exactly what is going on.

Gary Heck
05-18-2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks.

Here's a closer look.

Gary Heck
05-18-2008, 06:52 AM
In the layout screen it appears as nothing is wrong with the eye. It only appears after rendering.

Philbert
05-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Hard to say, it looks like there's a little piece of geometry poking through. If your Display Subpatch level is different than the render level it might not show up in Layout.

Surrealist.
05-18-2008, 11:19 AM
You know I am certain I have seen this kind of thing before, but I can't remember what I did to solve it. What I think am seeing is the eye lid geometry being displaced or subdivided improperly. I think I can also see it on the far left side of the eyelid as well. It looks like it is being turned inside out or something. Because if you notice right where the big back poly(s) are on the right side of the eye there is a space in the eyelid. So it is as if that part of it is being flipped around or something.

Is there any deformer of any kind in the scene? Do you have bones?

What are all of the other things you are running in the scene? And have you tried to render the dog alone in a fresh scene? Are there any morphs and if so you have Subdivision Level set to last?

It is bed time in my part of the world so I am liable to wake up in the middle of the night remembering where I saw this. But hopefully you'll have it solved before then. :)

Gary Heck
05-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the input, Phil and Richard. I did have the display level and render level for the subpatches set to 2 and 3 respectively but when I changed them, no difference was made in the layout display.

Giacomo99
05-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Surrealist is basically right. The problem probably has something to do with a flipped double-sided polygon, a not-high enough SubPatch level, mis-aligned polys, or something similar. It's impossible to tell, though, from looking at a single render.

The way to fix the problem is to isolate it: look very carefully at the model in Modeler. If the problem still isn't obvious, then set up a new empty scene with simple lighting and nothing but the basic dog model. Then do test renders from different angles until it becomes clearer what the issue is.

Gary Heck
05-18-2008, 01:53 PM
I am using endomorphs for expression on the dogs face and yes there are bones in the dog. Subdivision is set to last.

Giacomo99
05-18-2008, 02:15 PM
I am using endomorphs for expression on the dogs face and yes there are bones in the dog. Subdivision is set to last.

That's probably what's causing it, then. There's no cut-and-dried solution--if the bones are making your model deform incorrectly, you need to adjust the areas of influence of the bones--either with weight maps or by just changing their parameters--until they're not screwing up the model anymore.

Surrealist.
05-19-2008, 03:06 AM

Bingo. That's where I saw it before. Set the subdivision to last. With morphs it has to be set to last or the geometry gets subdivided then the morph applied. And since the morph is based on the base mesh not the subdivided mesh things go screwy. If that does not do it. Check the bone influence as Giacomo99 suggests.

Gary Heck
05-19-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll give that a try...:thumbsup:

Surrealist.
05-21-2008, 09:57 AM
I am wondering for the record what you found this to be?

Gary Heck
05-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I reloaded the scene item by item and for some reason the problem is gone. I am not really sure what caused the problem. I wish I had the time to discover exactly what it was but since I am under a deadline I will keep the scene on file and if I find the time to get back to it I will update the thread as to the culprit if I can find it.

Again thanks for the help Richard, Giacomo, and Phil! (Almost sounds like the Statler Brothers :)) You've helped me up and I'm running again.:thumbsup:

Surrealist.
05-21-2008, 10:44 PM
No prob.

Hope it all comes out right. :)

archijam
05-22-2008, 01:39 AM
I'm seeing it too ..
http://bp2.blogger.com/_3qV-xVbeSOw/Ri-23b3cc0I/AAAAAAAAAu0/0gxd2nlX-vs/s1600-h/bannersLEFTEYE.jpg
http://www.glynn.k12.ga.us/BHS/academics/junior/durham/shanitag11527/LISA2%20.JPG

Gary Heck
06-07-2008, 08:48 AM
The problem seems to have been my geometry around the dogs eyes was missing some polygons. Light was entering through a hole in the dogs skin between the schlera and nose and then passing unrestrained to the dogs left eye except for some wrinkles in the bottom eyelid. The eyelid normals were such that they stopped the light and caused shadowing on the eyeball.

Again thanks everyone for your input. This is a great place to troubleshoot and get other ideas about what may be causing a problem in your work.:thumbsup:

Surrealist.
06-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the report on that. Valuable information to have. :lwicon: