PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing Mouse

grey_matters
05-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Running 9.3.1 on OSX 10.4.11. In layout and modeler, I get a random issue where my mouse vanishes. Can't see it any place, but I do see the XYZ position changing in the lower left corner as I move the mouse around in layout. I can't duplicate it, it just all of a sudden happens. Has anyone else had this happen?

Giacomo99
05-17-2008, 10:44 AM
I've maybe had something similar--when that happens, I flick my mouse over to my second display and the cursor reappears.

I realize if you're working with a one-monitor setup that's not much help. Sorry.

Chilton
05-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi,

Running 9.3.1 on OSX 10.4.11. In layout and modeler, I get a random issue where my mouse vanishes. Can't see it any place, but I do see the XYZ position changing in the lower left corner as I move the mouse around in layout. I can't duplicate it, it just all of a sudden happens. Has anyone else had this happen?

In our viewports, especially when you are doing something like rotating the view, the cursor disappears while you're doing it. This is because you can continue to rotate the view farther than your mouse normally would have on screen (unless you have a really big screen). If that's what you're referring to, it's technically how it should work in the 3D viewport, despite it being a nonstandard behavior for Mac software. It's similar to the reasoning behind hiding the mouse cursor in a FPS game.

Another place this can happen is on slider widgets that change a value. In that case, the behavior is historical, and might change soon.

Now, if it's disappearing elsewhere, that's possibly a bug, and I'd like to know about it if you see it happen.

HTH,
-Chilton

grey_matters
05-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi,

In our viewports, especially when you are doing something like rotating the view, the cursor disappears while you're doing it. This is because you can continue to rotate the view farther than your mouse normally would have on screen (unless you have a really big screen). If that's what you're referring to, it's technically how it should work in the 3D viewport, despite it being a nonstandard behavior for Mac software. It's similar to the reasoning behind hiding the mouse cursor in a FPS game.

Another place this can happen is on slider widgets that change a value. In that case, the behavior is historical, and might change soon.

Now, if it's disappearing elsewhere, that's possibly a bug, and I'd like to know about it if you see it happen.

HTH,
-Chilton

Not exactly it. I understand hiding a cursor while doing something, but mine doesn't always come back if no mouse buttons are pressed. What Giacomo99 says about going to the second monitor makes sense to me if you are sending the cursor behind, but I don't have that option. It won't even come out on the upper or lower sections of the monitor when I would guess it's off the application and on my desktop. From there I'm essentially locked out and have to manually power my mac off (losing my work of course). I tried new patteries in the cordless mouse and it still happens. I wish it were more consistant (for the mere fact it would be easier to find out what's going wrong) but it's not, so it's the occasional pain in the butt inconvenience. Any suggestions on at least how to save my work once this happens would be very appreciated.

Chilton
05-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi,

Another thing you could try is to use one of the OS-level tricks that swaps the cursor out. That should at least tell you if the cursor is truly 'gone' at an OS level, or if LW just changed it to the invisible cursor.

So try command+shift+4 next time this happens, and the cursor *should* turn into crosshairs. Then hit escape to turn back into an arrow. If this does work, it's something we can fix. If it doesn't work, it's at a lower level than we can probably touch. But either way, let me know, and I'll be happy to take a shot at addressing it.

Also, if you happen to figure out when this happens, that would help as well.

Thanks!
-Chilton

toby
05-26-2008, 04:25 PM
It's happened to me too, sometimes it doesn't re-appear, switching to other apps brings it back, which has to be done with cmd-tab.