PDA

View Full Version : Newtek needs a Ntekcast

calilifestyle
05-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Look i really enjoy tunning into luxologys' cast ever Friday. So i'm confused on why a company like Newtek that sells the Tricast/speededit... how is you guys don't have a live Newtek stream once a week. i would take a none video cast. i mean it doesnt have to be 100% Newtek related. I mean a nice 20 30 mins cast. just hear news, events, anything.

NAS
05-16-2008, 03:32 PM
There is a Newtek podcast but it isn't from Newtek
It's on one of the Amiga sites

NAS

Philbert
05-16-2008, 03:35 PM
I heard the first episode of that podcast on the amiga site. I'm sorry but I would never listen again, it was like an hour long infomercial.

calilifestyle
05-16-2008, 04:12 PM
yeah i know about the Amiga one. but like you said its not Ntek cast. Then again i have to ask who would you choose from Newtek to to this for. I'm not to familiar with the crew of NT. funny I would pick Steve ( http://www.newtek.com/forums/member.php?u=101 ) , yet hes not from Newtek. i just like him he cool guy, when i meet him at sigg...

UnCommonGrafx
05-16-2008, 05:29 PM
You want to know why this isn't going to happen or is just a bad idea?

calilifestyle
05-16-2008, 05:38 PM
why they dont have one. they should have something.

UnCommonGrafx
05-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Nah,
They are about distribution and R&D for those of us that want ... CASTS! hehe

That would leave the feeling that they had to prove their technology. Or, that they were rich enough and wasteful enough to have someone sit and mentally masturbate for an hour to the fans.

The relationship -I- want with them is one of them putting out solid products at everday-people costs. Spending money on someone telling us how great they are gonna be would p me o; I'd be SCREAMING, "Fix dves with overlay!!! What a waste of money!"
(If you don't have a VT or TC then that one might escape you. Doesn't matter...)

I don't want to hear what the latest and greatest will be; I want to use it.

calilifestyle
05-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Naw i thinks is a good idea. have you or do you listen to the modcast. come on Brad takes few mins out of Friday and gives a heads up. Cost, cost what. this kind of feed back helps the company over-all. when ppl ask me about modo, one thing i do is point them toward the Cast. The next day they want to buy it. look at Andrew from 3d-coat he does the something with his blog, and it works.

how do i know . well for one i bought it after reading his blog and checking the program out. i could tell from his blog and other things that he really cared about it and that he would work hard to better the software. I feel the same when you hear Brad, other do to.

UnCommonGrafx
05-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Nice advert.

I feel the same when you hear Brad, other do to.

For whom are you speaking? :hey:
Seriously, so far, you've said nothing persuasive about it, from a business perspective.

(Hey, here's a hard to believe line from me... :} )
Brad is a very personable guy. That you would say these things is nothing new. That that translates and extrapolates to NewTek is what I dispute. Or even that it needs to.

It's the philisophical notion that they need to pepper us with more salesmanship that I'm against. I appreciate their minimal bombardment of advertising material.

Users talking about what they are doing... that would be interesting.

SplineGod
05-17-2008, 02:02 AM
Im not sure how many ppl would be persuaded to buy LW due to some sort of podcast.
Theres tons of LW related videos around that I sometimes point ppl to.
The best way Ive found to convert someone is to spend some time personally demonstrating it to them. The last two projects Ive worked on were run by hardcore 3dsmax users. When I was able to show them what LW could do they decided to convert over to LW.
Ive seen demonstrations at various shows by Newtek which unfortunately tend to make LW look amateurish. At siggraph I heard many complain about Newtek showing off DAVE school student work. Theres a time and place for such things but certainly not at events where youre trying to convince ppl that Lightwave is a professional package. How often do we hear about not showing things on a demo reel that make you look weak?
If the constant barrage of cartoony models and student work is what might show up on such a podcast maybe its best not to have a podcast...

cresshead
05-17-2008, 02:54 AM
yeah a podcast with iron man fx done in lw would be more like it.

Philbert
05-17-2008, 06:48 AM
At siggraph I heard many complain about Newtek showing off DAVE school student work. Theres a time and place for such things but certainly not at events where youre trying to convince ppl that Lightwave is a professional package.

You have a good point, being a DAVE grad myself I really like the work that my class and other classes did, but I wouldn't expect anyone to see a clip from it and confuse it with feature film work. Even having Dick Van Dyk, while really cool, and his animation was cute, it did look like something someone did as a side project just for fun (and it was).

jcupp
05-17-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this:

http://www.newtek.com/newtektv/

Cageman
05-17-2008, 12:50 PM

Well, it has been quite boring to watch it, with alot of so-so things. Their interviews and product demos are good, but those wipes and...well, not so nice looking stuff in between makes it look very unproffesional.

However, after watching it now I have to say they have shaped it up quite well. Appart from TriCaster interviews and product showoffs, I also saw Jarrod Davis talking about Zoics use of LW with alot of neat looking work from CSI, BSG and Serenity/Firefly as well as the LW-reel, which have alot of beautiful shots.

EDIT: They should have different channels for this. People looking to see LW-stuff, should click on the LW-channel and so on. Would make it much better.

Jim_C
05-17-2008, 01:30 PM
EDIT: They should have different channels for this. People looking to see LW-stuff, should click on the LW-channel and so on. Would make it much better.

Agreed.

It needs channel selection of various topics and a volume control.

SplineGod
05-17-2008, 03:00 PM
It is ironic that Newtek has this technology but doesnt use it to bring more ppl into the LW fold. The problem is that this topic has been brought up to various ppl at newtek for a long time for whatever reasons (lack of manpower, ideas or whatever). Ill be very surprised to see it change anytime soon.

Philbert,
Dont get me wrong, Im not dissing the student work but it is what it is. Its something that, IMO is out of place at a show where you want to sell LW. When I went down to siggraph this last time I went with some coworkers. One was an intern who was just hired fulltime and she had spent several months in school learning Maya. After seeing what several of us were doing with LW and how much faster it was for many things she was excited to check out Newteks booth with us. She was pretty disappointed with the overall presentation and was wondering why Newtek would be showing student work.

Philbert
05-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Hey Larry, I was agreeing with you. I was saying the student work is great for what it is, but they could be showing much better stuff. Perhaps they could hook something up with Revision3, I think those guys even use Tricasters.

beverins
05-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Completely agree. NewtekTV hasn't been updated in ages, and isn't that straightforward to find, either.

NewtekTV needs:
1) channels - all your products, have a general channel, tutorial channel (with rotating tutorials for all the products) and a Demo Reel channel!!
2) fresh, hot-off-the-presses content. NAB should be uploaded already!
3) Archive stuff that's more than a year old to downloadable files.
4) Take a page from Luxology with occasional special presentations.

For a company that seems to have more vested interest in Video Production and Distribution, that you guys don't have much in the way of self-promotion via web streaming is really frankly amazing.

Matt
05-20-2008, 04:12 PM

It's not really the same.

ted
05-20-2008, 10:37 PM
NewtekTV needs:
1) channels - all your products, have a general channel, tutorial channel (with rotating tutorials for all the products) and a Demo Reel channel!!
2) fresh, hot-off-the-presses content. NAB should be uploaded already!
3) Archive stuff that's more than a year old to downloadable files.
4) Take a page from Luxology with occasional special presentations.

I'm not sure that NewTek "NEEDS" this, but no doubt it would be way cool! :thumbsup:
I would guess it would take a team of people dedicated to keeping it fresh and operational. I wonder how much that would cost and how that could be managed?
I wonder how long till we complained about repeated material? :D

I'd guess about 50% could/would be created by the community. It could get competitive amongst end users, but NewTek would no doubt get a load of cool product demo pieces. :D

OK, IF....NewTek would offer about 5 "channels", would you all agree to contribute and not whine when you see the same videos 4-5 times per day? :stumped: Hmmmm.....

It would be cool. :thumbsup:

UnCommonGrafx
05-21-2008, 05:01 AM
Great buzzkill, Ted!

:lol:

ted
05-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Just thinking out loud, like usual. :D

SP00
05-21-2008, 08:24 PM

I rather they made this a podcast. I like my stuff centralized and iTunes is the best place for this stuff.

Philbert
05-21-2008, 08:40 PM
I would as well, I hate iTunes, but if it had an RSS feed I could get it with Juice with my audio podcasts. If it had a webpage link for each episode I would watch on my PS3 like I do with my Revision 3 shows and DL.TV.