PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect for PC

mattclary
05-16-2008, 01:26 PM
So.... Anyone else been following this little debacle?

Mass Effect for the PC will allow you 3 online activations. After that, you have to call customer service and ask permission to use the property you purchased.

I think I just got banned from Bioware's forum for asking for predictions on when the torrent would go live. I'm predicting no later than June 1 (it should be in stores May 28).

Just so we are clear, I won't be downloading it. I have purchased almost every game Bioware has ever made, but I refuse to rent software. Electronic Arts bought Bioware recently, this is their doing...

mattclary
05-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Yep, confirmed. I was banned. They sent me a warning that I did not get until after the second offense.

cresshead
05-16-2008, 01:42 PM
well i have the 360 version of mass effect...when i was looking for a new game just a couple of months back i thoght about 'pc' but having looked at the small text on the back of games boxes for spec's/installing/running and wot not decided 'pc' has had it's day for now...and bought a 360 just so i'd NOT get annoyed when trying to install/run/configure 'games'...after all they're there to entertain not cause yet more hassles!

gotta say the 360 has been a breeze to setup and use and the downloadable demo's don't need 'installing' you just download and play them!

i hoping the 360 gets a larger sway of game type over time, catering toward children as well as 'teens' abit more andmaybe a wii type controler eventually..other than that consoles like the 360 will continue to be a simpler, hassle free way to unwind and play a few games like mass effect, PGR4, earth defence force 2017, burnout paradise etc.

mattclary
05-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't care for consoles, was REALLY excited when they announced ME was coming to PC (with improvements even!), but with the digital restriction management in place, no way in he11.

I don't even mind some DRM, but I refuse to succumb to activating software.

Steamthrower
05-16-2008, 02:00 PM
If I were you I'd buy the game, throw it in the trash, and then go torrent it. :D

cresshead
05-16-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't care for consoles, was REALLY excited when they announced ME was coming to PC (with improvements even!), but with the digital restriction management in place, no way in he11.

I don't even mind some DRM, but I refuse to succumb to activating software.

well that's how zbrush, newtek's speed edit, 3dsmax work...but for a game it's a 'bit much' in my opinion...it's game not a hi priced app.:thumbsdow

mattclary
05-16-2008, 05:26 PM
If I were you I'd buy the game, throw it in the trash, and then go torrent it. :D

I considered that for about 3 seconds, but decided that every time I give them money, it will just encourage these decisions.

mattclary
05-16-2008, 05:35 PM
well that's how zbrush, newtek's speed edit, 3dsmax work...but for a game it's a 'bit much' in my opinion...it's game not a hi priced app.:thumbsdow

I wouldn't be using those apps either then. I like LightWave's dongle system. Games used to use the CD as a dongle. Much like LW, this protection can be cracked, but it pretty much keeps honest people honest.

It ALL can be cracked, and ALWAYS is. All they are doing is driving away customers. The people who were going to pirate it anyway aren't dissuaded.

Stardock recently released "Sins of a Solar Empire" with no DRM whatsoever, and apparently it's been topping the charts.

hrgiger
05-16-2008, 07:29 PM

Yes, do exactly that except for the first part.

Jim_C
05-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes, do exactly that except for the first part.

torrent, burn, ceremoniously throw in trash, mount, play

iconoclasty
05-17-2008, 11:41 AM
I refuse to sponsor this type of DRM with my money. It's the same reason I didn't get to enjoy the (supposed) awesomeness of Bioshock.

Jim_C
05-17-2008, 12:18 PM
I refuse to sponsor this type of DRM with my money. It's the same reason I didn't get to enjoy the (supposed) awesomeness of Bioshock.

If you buy Bioshock thru Steam you can put it on as many machines as you want, and then play launching thru steam in offline mode.

But that might not be quite what you are referring to.

Game blew me away at first, then bored me and I haven't started it in quite awhile.

jasonwestmas
05-17-2008, 12:30 PM
My xsi foundation license keeps crapping out on me. I constantly have to keep contacting softimage to get it reactivated. :P I welcome dongle keys for that reason and other reasons.

Cageman
05-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Much like LW, this protection can be cracked, but it pretty much keeps honest people honest.

Uhmm.. well, I think the price has something to do with it as well... :hey:

iconoclasty
05-17-2008, 02:31 PM
If you buy Bioshock thru Steam you can put it on as many machines as you want

Don't even get me started on Steam.

hrgiger
05-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Forget these games. Have you guys played GTA IV yet? Nice.

mattclary
05-19-2008, 06:22 AM
If you buy Bioshock thru Steam you can put it on as many machines as you want, and then play launching thru steam in offline mode.

But that might not be quite what you are referring to.

Game blew me away at first, then bored me and I haven't started it in quite awhile.

The only reason Steam is superior to Mass Effect is the NUMBER of activations. It's not the NUMBER of activations that I really have the problem with. What I have an issue with is when the activation servers go away.

Now, Valve seems to be in pretty good health, but who knows when Electronic Arts is going to buy and dismantle them.

Bioware is already owned by EA, IMO, their days are numbered.

Just a month or two ago, I was playing Planescape:Torment (a Bioware game). The copyright on the CD was 1999. That was 9 years ago. 9 years from now will be 2017.

How sure are you Steam or the Bioware servers will still be up in 2017? I have no confidence in that whatsoever.

mattclary
05-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Forget these games. Have you guys played GTA IV yet? Nice.

I prefer gaming on a PC. Some games play pretty good on consoles, but I prefer RPGs, which (IMO) play better on a PC.

And consoles are just another form of DRM. They are trying to push the world to consoles because you have to hack the hardware to pirate the game.

In a few years, don't be surprised when the 3 activation thing comes to a console near you. I maintain it's more about limiting resale than actual piracy.

doimus
05-19-2008, 06:46 AM
I don't mind activation for online-only multiplayer games, but for singleplayer rpgs..... what about the future?

I still have Baldur's Gate installed (and still haven't finished it :D). What if I would like to play Mass Effect in 2019 on Linux under Wine.... and Bioware gets closed down by EA in the meantime? And Interplay acquires EA? Who's gonna activate it then?

Lito
05-19-2008, 07:34 AM
The only reason Steam is superior to Mass Effect is the NUMBER of activations. It's not the NUMBER of activations that I really have the problem with. What I have an issue with is when the activation servers go away.

Now, Valve seems to be in pretty good health, but who knows when Electronic Arts is going to buy and dismantle them.

Bioware is already owned by EA, IMO, their days are numbered.

Just a month or two ago, I was playing Planescape:Torment (a Bioware game). The copyright on the CD was 1999. That was 9 years ago. 9 years from now will be 2017.

How sure are you Steam or the Bioware servers will still be up in 2017? I have no confidence in that whatsoever.

As stated by many of these companies, should the servers need to be permanently taken down, a patch will come that will remove the activation requirements. AFAIK only one game had this done (Prey) when one of their online distribution systems went bankrupt. And even if the patch wasn't made available by the company you can get one from the net so to me it is no big deal.

The 3 activation limit is IMO a bigger problem because as long as the uninstall does not free up an activation, then the activation becomes a hit on my right sell the game after I am done with it. Even though I have never sold a game I bought before it's good to know that if I need to or want to I can. The activation system seems to be present only to stop the used video game market.

mattclary
05-19-2008, 07:52 AM
As stated by many of these companies, should the servers need to be permanently taken down, a patch will come that will remove the activation requirements.

Of course they SAY that, but (especially with Electronic Arts), I simply don't trust them to do that. They will tell you anything to get you to buy their software.

Here is an example of a company (Microsoft) taking down authentication servers and leaving the customer holding the bag:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080422-drm-sucks-redux-microsoft-to-nuke-msn-music-drm-keys.html

mattclary
05-19-2008, 07:55 AM
It's actually a Black Isle (R.I.P.) game, built on Bioware's Infinity Engine :)

But technicalities aside, it's one of the greatest computer games of all time. It's in a whole other cerebral genre than most of what's being pushed out today under the guise of being RPGs.

Yep, my bad. Always have a hard time remembering which one of those guys did what between Fallout I and II, Baldur's Gate I and II, Icewind Dale, Planescape, etc... All of which I own.

mattclary
05-30-2008, 03:31 AM
May 30, and it is official. The crack now exists. Stupid Bioware, very stupid.

sammael
05-30-2008, 07:17 AM
mattclary - Regarding Mass Effect in general I would not worry too much if your views on these matters prevent you from playing it. I was a big fan of Bioware games as well but I got Mass Effect on xbox and was sorely dissappointed. It is quite a drab and boring experience. I think I played it twice before just giving up on it all together. Dull environments, sluggish controls, drawn out backwards and forwards type missions, the combat is a step behing that of other bioware games and the storyline is simply not interesting.
I gave it to my brother who played it through, he said it was ok but it was too hard towards the start, stupidly easy towards the end and dissapointingly short, he is a young guy who is right into games.

As for this type of DRM I agree with you wholeheartedly and would not purchase any game under those terms.