PDA

View Full Version : I hate CAD models

patrickkelly
05-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Greetings Forum, I have lost a much needed script and need help finding it. Here is what it does:

I have a hundred or so folders, each with a single Lightwave model in it. I need to load all those models into Modeler and Layout at the same time, with out having to load them individually. Any suggestions?

P.S., this is a result of converting a series of SolidWorks models in PolyTrans and exporting to LWO.

P.S., I hate CAD models.

archijam
05-16-2008, 09:42 AM
search the root folder for .lwo files.
drag all of the found .lwo files into a new folder.
open layout.
go to load object dialog.
select all objects.
chose open.

wait ............

hit F12.

All objects will be listed in the pull down menu in modeler ready to edit.

patrickkelly
05-16-2008, 03:12 PM
archijam, I tried your suggestion and sure enough, I can see all the files and move them where I need them, but it seems as if both Layout and Modeler have a limit as to how many objects it will load at once. I can't seem to get more than 20 or so open at the same time. Any ideas?

archijam
05-16-2008, 03:17 PM
I should have said, 100 is a big number, if they are large models .. do they have multiple layers?

How many polys are we talking per file on average? I must admit I`ve never tested layout`s object (layer) limit ..

creativecontrol
05-16-2008, 03:46 PM
P.S., I hate CAD models.

This won't help you with your current situation but if you ever have to do it again, try MoI. It is far better at transfering CAD models.

It loads and exports IGES (and others) very well to Lightwave.

http://moi3d.com

MicroMouse
05-16-2008, 04:36 PM
If you are using Windows, you can use the "File -> Multi Open" menu command in AccuTrans 3D and load all the LWO files at one time. Each LWO file will go onto its own layer.

You could have also done this with all the STL files generated by SolidWorks and skipped the step of converting to LWO files.

Wayne