PDA

View Full Version : question for xfrog users

sadkkf
05-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi--

I'm looking at buying this to build, of course, trees and plants. Based on the comments in other threads here, this is really a great package for realistic foliage.

My question is do I need to buy the full version or will the lite version be enough? Imported objects can be animated with LW, right? I don't need to animate anything in xfrog, do I?

thanks!

:kevin

AdamAvenali
05-15-2008, 11:43 AM
i had a pretty big pre-viz project a few years ago that i used xfrog for. it is a great package. my project didnt involve any animating, only a few camera fly-bys. i did do a few little animations within xfrog just for fun though, and as far as i could tell it mainly seemed to be used for making the plants grow, but then again i really only used it for modeling myself. i do know the trees that i made ended up being VERY high poly, around 70,000 per tree, but they turned out great. i personally found it hard to export the file to lightwave and then go in and break it up to rig as all the branches were different pieces and not one solid item like a real tree. i dont know if this has changed since i have used it or not.

you can check some of them out here towards the end of my reel:
http://www.adamavenali.com/ReelLo.html

i guess it really comes down to if you are getting this for a project you have now, or if you are planning for future projects as well. if you were a modeler doing pre-viz for print, then i would say go for the Lite, but you never really can tell what kind of projects you will come across in the future, so the Full, and the extra $100.00 may come into play then.

the end decision really is based on whether you can use the full potential of the Full version or not.

sadkkf
05-15-2008, 12:09 PM
thanks for the reply, s&r.

I don't really have a specific need for foliage at the moment and nothing pending, but do love to tinker with archvis and landscapes.

In another thread, someone mentioned using qemLOSS 3 to reduce the poly count. Being free, I can try it with the trial of xfrog and see.

You mentioned making plants grow with the animation and that would be interesting. It's always fun to play, but $100 may not be worth it. Can you export the anims to LW?

AdamAvenali
05-15-2008, 12:22 PM
follow this link http://www.xfrogdownloads.com/greenwebNew/gallery/movieStart.htm and check out the first movie on the left by clicking on the thumbnail. this is the reason that i went with the full version, this was just really really cool haha. as far as the exporting, i am not 100% sure. i dont know if it exports a morph, or a motion path, or what. that might be a question for Greenworks.

sadkkf
05-15-2008, 01:30 PM
yeah, that's a neat video. Not a great comp, but the animation is nice.

Thanks for your input!

AdamAvenali
05-15-2008, 01:46 PM
yeah, comp not the greatest, but that first 5 seconds or so from seedling to the first cut i like. let us know what you plan on doing! :thumbsup:

sadkkf
05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Yes, thanks I will. Just ordered a bunch of parts for a new machine and I'm dying to start rendering again. :D

archijam
05-15-2008, 02:14 PM
hmmm ... qemloss vs. xfrog. From my experience I'm not sure if that's going to get you SO far.

I am only familiar with the product of xfrog - ie. the dvds full of generated trees. But from what I understand the models generated are the same.

The key thing with xfrog trees is that every leaf is 2 (UV mapped) tris. Then the rest of the tree is polys which may go for a little qem. The alpha for each leaf can be applied as alpha texture or clip map.

Can you get hold of a single xfrog tree somewhere to tinker with?

AdamAvenali
05-15-2008, 02:22 PM
i can get one for you when i go home. i think i only have the files that i exported to lightwave and not the original xfrog files, but i will check. you basically build your tree and apply the textures in xfrog, and when you export it as an .obj it keeps your UV map in tact (this is all from memory though, so do not quote me), you then go in and apply the textures again in lightwave using the UV map supplied by xfrog. you also need to apply either an alpha to the texture or use a clip map in layout. i believe i remember the clip map working a little better than the texture alpha. xfrog exports all tris and the leaves are double-sided as far as i can remember. you just have to be careful about your leaf count, or your polygon number can go through the roof.

sadkkf
05-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Here's an exported tree from the demo. I don't have LW in front of me now, but xfrog tells me its @ 70k polys.

AdamAvenali
05-17-2008, 09:59 AM
sadkkf:

http://www.adamavenali.com/acer/

if you follow this link you will find my adolescent Acer rubrum from a few years ago. in the folder is the original xfrog file, and lwo, and the textures. i believe it was the first tree i did with xfrog and comes in around 33,000 polys. let me know if you have any questions about it. if you could also let me know when you save the files, i would like to take them down and free up some space on my server, i would really appreciate it.

sadkkf
05-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey, thanks. I grabbed the file so delete when you're ready.

I'm looking forward to tinkering with this. First renders look good and seem fast. :)