PDA

View Full Version : Low Cost Cameras for Chroma Keying

tsichles
05-15-2008, 04:53 AM
Hello from Athens Greece,

We are interested to install a Tricaster Product , Studio Version, for creating webcasts using Virtual sets and live video. We have a small studio with chroma key enabled lighting and paint.

We would like to make 16x9 wmv / flv videos (on demand and streams) at a resolution of 512x288.

For us to keep costs low, we would like to ask any purposal for the lower end of the Cameras market (Consumer / Semi Pro) that can work with the Tricaster and chroma key correctly.

Thanks in advance for your responses

jcupp
05-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Even at low res starting with a decent camera will provide a better image in the end. A three chip camera will key better than single chip and probably have a better lens as well. Look for a used 3 chip camcorder with a busted 'corder, you can pick these up cheap sometimes.

tsichles
05-19-2008, 05:28 AM
First of all thank you for your reply,

I donnot think it is viable for us a second hand solution , as our company needs support from a dealer.

Also these cameras with busted corders need a remote camera control unit to enable output component and calibrate them which raises initial prise a lot.

I heard that Canon HV 20 / HV 30 output component video also. Is this output compatible with tricaster ?

Thanks again

Red_Oddity
05-19-2008, 02:58 PM
I'd say rent one to test (most camera's can be rented), and beware of the rolling shutter of the HV20 (you don't want to do matchmoving on material from one of those)

gcj_triplem
06-01-2008, 09:55 AM
sony A1 or HC3 (or newer hc9e); if the budget will go to E 2000/ 1600 the good old FX1

All offer component output and work well with keying. for low cost consumer camcorders they are great. We use the Sony A1 for national television with no problem.

HC9E is about E800/600

The CMOS chip set up for HDV and downsampled on output gives pictures that more or less match older 3 chip up to 1000/E1300 more expensive.

dbakerstl
08-08-2008, 04:57 PM
I have had great success with almost any 3ccd camera, using s-video or component. Lighting becomes a key component IMO.