PDA

View Full Version : simple question about HD Instance...

alvin_cgi
05-15-2008, 03:22 AM
Hi all, just has a simple question about HD Instance… I think I already “know” the answer, but still need to confirm before put $$ on it.

I seen HDI used for crowd, grass simulation and etc, if I want to use it very “simple” instance, like manually instance an object, or instance one by one, and move it(single or group) around freely (like modo instance)?

I have a scene with many objects, not very heavy but once I start to duplicate more, the scene become very heavy… :devil:

UnCommonGrafx
05-15-2008, 03:35 AM
With nulls... with polygons of an object... control it how you want, yup.

alvin_cgi
05-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Cool, so I take that it is very simple/easy to do, right... :)

With nulls... with polygons of an object... control it how you want, yup.

AdamAvenali
05-16-2008, 07:42 AM
from my experiences with HD Instance and what i can remember (it's been a while since i have actually used it) it was very straight forward.

papou
05-18-2008, 05:06 PM
you have to know that Hd don't show the shape of the instanced object. it just show a boudingbox.

Mr Rid
05-26-2008, 09:16 PM
you have to know that Hd don't show the shape of the instanced object. it just show a boudingbox.

There is a very recent update that now allows the entire instanced object to be seen.

philippe
05-26-2008, 11:02 PM
There is a very recent update that now allows the entire instanced object to be seen.
You must have a special version Mr Rid.
On 2.04 (last official update), i can only choose axes & bounding boxes for previewing instanced objects.

Mr Rid
05-27-2008, 05:19 PM
You must have a special version Mr Rid.
On 2.04 (last official update), i can only choose axes & bounding boxes for previewing instanced objects.

Doh, you're right. I have a beta version.

Actually, being able to see geometry of instances is not practical when you have tons of hi-poly items. So you have to set up smaller test scenes. That is certainly useful, but what is more practical is for the bounding box to more accurately represent the position of animated instances.