PDA

View Full Version : Can you planar project gradient nodes?

4dartist
05-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Is there a way to planar project a 'gradient' node? I can't seem to figure out how to apply a gradient to a color channel, but project it down an axis.

(I guess I realize thats not how the gradients were meant to be used) I would normally just make a gradient in photoshop and use that, but would be SUPER handy to beable to tweak the gradient on the fly in lightwave.

Surrealist.
05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Do you mean like a gradient from top to bottom or right to left?

A gradient node is an input of X, Y or Z coordinate. Make sure and adjust the "end" to be the same size as the object or area you want the gradient.

For a layer node you can move the pivot. (XYZ Distance to object) Or a more flexible way is with a null. But I think I remember that there was a more elegant way that escapes me now.

4dartist
05-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Ya, the x input sort of works, but you still lose some control. For example I have a gradient image, and I project it in the X axis with planar projection. Then I envelope the Heading input field in the texture settings. So now the ramp spins around my static object. (was my goal) The image I'm using is a gradient made in photoshop. I'd rather use a gradient in Lightwave because then I can adjust it right there.