PDA

View Full Version : OGL capatible GUI API's

aurora
05-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Just curious to see what API any of you dev's (NT or other) like to use for cross-platform GUI API's.

I have used QT many moons ago when I was a full time developer but do not have nor plan on getting a commercial license so thats out.

I have toyed with wxWidgets but did not like its ability to customize general skinability.

I normally use FLTK and am just now trying out FLTK2. It can do what I desire to do but alas its not the most elegantly written API.

Are there any others worth looking at? Should I just break down and write my own from scratch (which I have done before to limited extents)?

I ask this as now that I have finished classes and had soaring responses on my new nBody app I have decided to take all of my particle app's plugins I have created over the years and combine them all in to one super app I named Oto Taca (Lakota for many bodies) At at the point where I'm now designing the GUI modules for the whole thing and am desirous to hear comments from others on things other then FLTK else I'll most likely go with it since I already have several specialized widgets I have written with it for just this kind of thing.

Lightwolf
05-13-2008, 02:16 PM
You mentioned it already. I quite like wxWidgets... mainly because of the API.
I've partially customized a few controls, and that was easy enough to do... I haven't played with skinning though (However, on the modo forums Gwynne skinned a Python/wxWidgets app to look pretty much like modo).

Cheers,
Mike

RedBull
05-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Qt is the one more and more people are turning too....

VLC Videoplayer for example, will move to Qt in VLC 0.9, VLC 8.5 for example uses WxWidgets, But they have had lots of problems with it.

" * We had a lot of problems with right-to-left languages,
* We had a lot of problems with Unicode and Wide-Characters support,
* We lacked a few features,

GTK and Qt are really the only two multiplatfrom GUI around that are worth anything. Qt is shorter to implement and is easier to read. It's also supported by a large corporation, which will help it moves forwards, Trolltech's hybrid business model is a good one. The only other you missed is GTK i think, http://www.gtk.org/

Lightwolf
05-13-2008, 05:56 PM
VLC Videoplayer for example, will move to Qt in VLC 0.9, VLC 8.5 for example uses WxWidgets, But they have had lots of problems with it.

You forgot the last two reasons mentioned:

* We needed to enhance this UI, and the main coder left,
* To test something new

;)

Cheers,
Mike

RedBull
05-13-2008, 06:25 PM
You forgot the last two reasons mentioned:

* We needed to enhance this UI, and the main coder left,
* To test something new

;)

Cheers,
Mike

I don't think they are classified as "Problems" as such ;)

Lightwolf
05-13-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't think they are classified as "Problems" as such ;)
No, but they add a different perspective to the "problems".

What might be of interest as fas as openGL is concerned is that nVidia's SceneGraph Library contains a wxWidgets sample.

Cheers,
Mike

RedBull
05-13-2008, 07:08 PM
I think GTK+ sounds good for it's LGPL license...(Like WxWidgets)
It would enable you to keep your code private, while still using a cross platform open GUI. As I understand it FLTK is GPL based. So unless you are creating open source applications, not so useful.

Lightwolf
05-14-2008, 01:15 AM
As I understand it FLTK is GPL based.
Right on the homepage:

FLTK is provided under the terms of the GNU Library Public License, Version 2 with exceptions that allow for static linking
Which is close to the wxWidgets license (LGPL with the same exception).

Cheers,
Mike

aurora
05-14-2008, 02:54 PM
I was playing with FLTK2 yesterday and since I would have to go through a lot of hassles redoing all the widgets I made for the 1.whatever version I've been using it would be pointless moving up. But as you said do to licensing issues and need to move up from 1.??? and since FLTK2 is still far form a finished update FLTK is out of the picture for me.

As for Qt as I mentioned before I have no desire to buy a commercial license for it. I have worked enough with it to know that while I can get everything I want done with it's to much a drain on me right now (more sanity wise then money and it ain't cheap either!)

GTK, GTK++ yeah I forgot them but between that and wxWidgets I choose wxWidgets. SO the real choice I have is go for wxWdigets or create my own from scratch. The later, not fun. So I have the latest non-3beta build installed and built as of last night and will most likely go with that. But its not a final decision yet as I'm still in the designing phase for the gui anyways.

hurley
05-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I like Juce (http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/) . It's written by one guy and it's very well thought out and easy to use and understand. It's a bit audio-centric but there's pretty good Opengl support. You need a commercial license for closed source projects but it's a lot cheaper than QT.

-Steve

NAS
05-16-2008, 09:44 PM
About to start using JUCE for VST plugins myself
Julian is a cool dude

NAS

aurora
05-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Juce, looks nice but again if I have to pay for it I'll just write my own again. I do have to admit though I do like the things I read about Juce though!

NAS
05-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey Aurora i'm just excited to see what plugs and apps you come up with now you have free time again
I still love attractors and stuff and i still visit 3d recursions regular hahahahahaha

NAS

aurora
05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Thank you NAS. I have been working on various small apps and plugins for a while mostly on the scientific viz side. After several comments and requests from a couple of prof's this past semester I'm rolling everything and a whole heck of alot more into one HUGE app I call Oto Taca. It will be used (I hope) for everybody from recreation CG to normal CD Production industry work to all my friends in the scientific community that need high power, highly accurate simulations with billions of particles.
The only other thing I'll say right now is the design is a real [email protected]%$ to get accuracy, speed and all kinds of other things setup for that full range. Still working on that to as I have some extreme fluid dynamic requests to add into the mix that are changing some of the original thoughts on how it all fits together. In other words headache central but one I'm loving working on!

NAS
05-19-2008, 08:07 PM
So this is gonna be a standalone simulator that ties into CG apps for rendering out imagery but can be used stand alone for pure scientific calculation purposes ?
If thats the case it sounds like a very cool idea to say the least

NAS