PDA

View Full Version : Pen tool problems

sonofmickel
05-13-2008, 01:38 PM
When I outline an object with many points using the Pen tool, say the body of an electric guitar, the resulting poly will have criss-crossing polys. I will then need to select the points, copy to another layer, then make a new poly out of the points. Why is this happening? LW 9.3.1:thumbsdow

BeeVee
05-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Are you using the right or left mouse button to place points? The left mouse button will draw a line connecting each successive point, so if you go convex, then concave you will need to redress the balance at some point. You can always drag any of your points though to help with this.

B

sonofmickel
05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
I am drawing them with left mouse button. Just outlining an object shape and then extruding the shape. The problem comes when I select the top and bottom polys and then try to bevel. The bevel tool does not work because there are "stray" polys throughout the model. This happens only some of the time. I have tried it numerous times and sometimes it works perfectly, others it does not, no rhyme or reason whatsoever. LW on OSX is not a workable product for me at this time. This is sad. Thanks for your help anyway.

gerry_g
05-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Edge bevel doesn't like ngon's, the ambiguous normal information from the ngon just confuses it, you need to regularize the surface a little by breaking it down so edge bevel has fighting chance of getting it right, either that or select your ngon and use smooth shift instead (see pic of my Jap Strat copy done from memory)

gerry_g
05-13-2008, 06:06 PM
I mean Multi-shift (tired)

miguel_dthings
05-17-2008, 09:51 AM
A workaround to bevel complex polygons, works great
- select the face to bevel
- hit e (extender)
- move slightly up
- another extender, move up that face too.
- expand selection
- Move plus, right mouse button moves each point along its normal
- Shift + z to unyfy polys and get rid of that second extender.
- delete stray 0 polygon points.

miguel_dthings
05-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Better explained with images:

miguel_dthings
05-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Here it is, hope it helps.