PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw that cuts using millimeters?

Matt
05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Anyone found a tool that slices using _real_ dimensions as the cut offset? Percentages are really useless sometimes!

In fact ALL Modeler tools that use % (unless it makes sense to) should allow real dimensions for those users that aren't character modelers.

Thanks
Matt

Surrealist.
05-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Good idea.

Not sure about other cut plugins at the moment.

But it did make me think about the fact that Add Edges does have a stopper you can enter an exact amount in. That would be calculated from the edge.

With the Knife tool you can enter exact (world) dimensions in the numeric panel.

OK, neither of those are probably what you are looking for exactly, but just info I think is easy to miss on those two tools for any one else who did not know.

razorrust
05-13-2008, 12:53 PM
I had the same desire, and a video by William Vaughn sorted it out!
Under the detail tab, click the add edges tool, and open the numeric window.
Click the "stopper" button and you can specify exact measurements for your cuts. It doesn't slice all the way around your edge loops, but a little practice and you can get your cuts where you need them.

Surrealist.
05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
OK I confess. Years of using that tool and I did not even look at that button until Williams Tutorial.....:p

razorrust
05-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Yes indeed, those tut vids are a must-have!
I have a playlist in iTunes with all my vids and I play them all the time.
They helped me pick up LW pretty quick...a lot easier than that program from another dimension called Zbrush....

Matt
05-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Be nice if you could do this en-masse (ala Bandsaw) rather than clicking round adding edges!

Still, will check it out! I use Add Edges all the time, but wanted a more 'automated' solution!

digefxgrp
05-14-2008, 05:42 PM
SwiftEdgeLoop is a tool that allows you to perfom cuts with offsets based on distance or percentage.
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/SwiftEdgeLoop