PDA

View Full Version : (newbie) Keeping feet above ground?

tim2718
05-13-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm learning to make an IK rig for a human character. Is there a way to prevent the feet from sinking into the ground? In other words, I would like to be able to move the foot around freely above the ground, but when the foot comes in contact with the ground I would like it to stop and not go any further. My character wants to walk and dance without sinking into the ground. I would like to find a way to have Lightwave help me put the character's foot exactly on the ground.

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Tim

RudySchneider
05-13-2008, 09:58 AM
You may want to have a look at all of the videos William Vaughan has created, here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

In particular, scroll down to "Character Animation" for a whole raft of relevant info.

StudioBOZON
05-13-2008, 10:26 AM
I had this problem with some of my own animations, but in my opinion, the easyest way to do it's by flatening the move in graph editor. Select all the x, y, z key frames, that have a value of 0 and set the incomming curve to linear, or set the tention to 1 or -1, so that the envelope doesn't fall down under the 0 value. Try to play with the values of TENSION, CONTINUITY and BIAS.

working on all the x, y, z locations in graph editor of your object/bone will not only prevent it from sinking under the flor, but from sliding around in all directions, they will get static when the reach the 0 position.

for some fast results, make a two steps walk, where the first frame and last frame are the same. U know what I mean... and then make some other moves U want, and make a motion in motion mixer, mix it and presto, U'll get a whole move. Try to see how the motion mixer work in Your LW manual, as I remember, there should be a special book just for the motion mixer stuf.

Good luck!