PDA

View Full Version : A nice start to finish free tutorial

archijam
05-13-2008, 01:57 AM
... at SimplyLightwave.com.

Not so often you find a free, blow by blow modelling to texturing walkthrough.

Marvin the Robot (http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=556)

Nice subject too! :thumbsup:

colkai
05-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Gonna have to grab that one, thanks for the heads-up :)

zhero2
05-13-2008, 07:20 AM
I could just download part 0 and 1. Then I got this message:

Sorry you don't have enough points for this download :(

NAS
05-13-2008, 07:58 AM
This tutorial isnt free and the email they sent out is a blatant lie i'm afraid

NAS

archijam
05-13-2008, 08:01 AM
I tried the first and that worked .. so I posted away.

A real shame.

Sorry for the false alarm :/

colkai
05-13-2008, 09:16 AM
no worries. :)

RollerJesus
05-13-2008, 09:29 AM
I saw that in my email this morning and it really is misleading. 21 of the 817 MB of video is free.

so lame.

KevinL
05-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I received an email regarding the free glass tutorial, which I downloaded with no problems. I did not receive any indication that the Marvin tutorial was free, nor did I see anything on the site that implied such. Did I miss something?

Kevin

archijam
05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
No. It did not say FREE FREE FREE, but if no cost is mentioned and all the links say download, you may be lead to assume that you can download it.

What a point is, or how one earns one, is another mystery.

I think it is quite unclear, not a lie. Misleading is a good term (used above). Looks like a nice tutorial, no question (hence the interest).

I appreciate the Simply3D forums very much ..

j.

Larry_g1s
05-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Definitely a bummer it's not free....but looks like a nice tutorial none the less. I really like the design of the character.

WilliamVaughan
05-13-2008, 04:28 PM
They put out great tutorials...and the price is more then fair. Take the excitement you had about it and see it thru...support can be a good thing!:thumbsup:

Hopper
05-13-2008, 05:41 PM
They put out great tutorials...and the price is more then fair. Take the excitement you had about it and see it thru...support can be a good thing!:thumbsup:
But I like the price of the "William Vaughan Special Tutorial Deals". Those are my favorite.

See... you spoiled us William... :D

archijam
05-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Proton - Agreed.

Unfortunately I barely have enough time to do tutorials as it is, what with downloading Taron and Proton tutorials, posting false alarms on forums .. etc etc. ;)

NAS
05-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Simply are a good place for tutorials and i do buy from them but they did send an email saying free which isn't right and gets peoples hopes up
That being said it is quite a cheap tutorial anyway ;)

NAS

OOZZEE
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
sorry, have to disagree on this one... the email is clear and not misleading....

subject of email is NEW FREE TUTORIAL not NEW FREE TUTORIAL(S)

the first paragraph says "a" free tutorial... not "many" free tutorials.... clearly stating that the free one is the GLASS TEXTURE and the TITLE of that tutorial also SAYING FREE....

For Marvin, no mention of FREE anywhere !!!

the points system is odd, but to download with no limitations as a VIP and obtaining other Tutorials, you need to buy the points... as little as two points or as much as 400.... I think it works out to $1.21 per point....

Brian_7
05-15-2008, 10:35 AM
It looks like they are real nice tutorials but, it's $1.70 per point. (At least in US currency) :phone_cal

jnddepew
05-15-2008, 10:36 AM
What a point is, or how one earns one, is another mystery.

you have to buy them or you could win them if you enter a contest there. But the lightwave 3d forums there are pretty whimpy as there's like 1 post every month in most of the categories.