PDA

View Full Version : Can i pick your brains?

Talc
05-12-2008, 07:18 PM
I think i aproached my earlier post wrong? Sorry! (Costing a job (Budget))

I'm appoligetic if it sounds like i'm trying to gain knowledge without effort or it's been discussed lot's of times before. However i can only offer my expiriences in return for your insight.

Each time i get asked to produce work, "A new challenge takes me into the unknown." Opportunity means i have to apply myself.

Do you only sell and quote for work that you know you can deliver (risk free).
"My method has always been break the job down into componant parts. If compositing start with the background plate first and build it up from there!"
3D "think about geometry, texturing & any effects be they deformation or procedural, (i'm not good at coded animation) then compositing!" Can i get away with using 2d. How long do I think this will take me. Are there elements i need other people to do. Does the customer agree with my treatment. Have i found a new cool technique id like my boss or the customer to see!

And there's more, but i'm interested in your approach & how you quote/gain the time to RnD time for the project or learn on the back of it.

I'm not after a script to approach customers, i'm only trying to disscuss different styles toward work. Yes i will use what i learn. I'd hope we all can!

tonybliss
05-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Not my brains, but you can pick my nose ... :tongue:

But really once you are a digital artist you always stand that "risk". Machine failure, learning curve, experiments/research and development, etc

As a multimedia artist for seven years, I can safely tell you that each job would call for some level of research and change of perspective whether be it websites, interactive discs or a print ad. Some may be redundant procedures. Remember that as technology and features grow so HAS too your toolset/knowledge.

One thing to note is that in the 3d / VFX world some job requirements WILL need some level of R and D even if you are expereinced on multiple levels. It is that level that will determine your R and D time and delivery date.

Take the risk set realistic times for you clients with som extra just in case. If its a rush job you may not want to take the chance until you have the experience and confidence. One thing that can kill an artist is work related anxiety.
And of ourse you have the forums here to pick at our brains from our noses :D

Talc
05-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Don't read this & don't ask me to explaine, just treat it as a ramble:)

I'm posting this so that at least in the electonic eather there is a little blip that say's i gave it my best! Today, against all the odds a small man i.e me! challanged the machine and created a small havean of tranquillity that allowed creativity to prosper. "I think in all odds i'm about to get beaten up but i'm gonna give it a go."