PDA

View Full Version : My DemoReel

vashts
05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi all, this is my DemoReel 2008. I'm mainly an hobbyist, but with the end of university I'll try to find a stable job in CG, so this can be even considered a sort of CV.. :D

However, I hope you like it. All is done in LightWave 3D, sometimes with Kray and FPrime.

Link: http://www.geba.it/v4/video.asp?IDV=3

Ensure you have installed the latest QuickTime version.

vashts

archijam
05-12-2008, 05:07 PM
That as freakin' fantastic! Wouldn't change a thing! :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
05-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Congratulations!

sean hargreaves
05-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Great reel, lots of talent and a lot of work.

Nix the 80's hairmetal though, if you can, its hard to concentrate (I just turned the volume down). Does'nt work, and is'nt relative to the images. It should be secondary, but its overpowering. Just a suggestion! :thumbsup:

Hopper
05-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Excellent work! Very nice production. :thumbsup:

WilliamVaughan
05-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Love the reel...dont care for the music...I hit mute right away.

This is an excellent reel and you should have no problems finding work. Cityscape is hiring and I would think they would pick you up in a heart beat!

good luck and keep us posted with your new work!:thumbsup:

meatycheesyboy
05-12-2008, 06:31 PM
I wondered why you chose that music then I saw your user name and avatar (for everyone else, his user name and avatar are from the title character of a show called Trigun, and the music in the real is the theme to that show.). I agree, with the others though, it doesn't really fit.

Great reel though.

*edit* Upon second viewing, I think you should reorder the pieces. To me, the first two are the weakest in the reel and shouldn't be placed up front.

Hopper
05-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Nix the 80's hairmetal though, if you can, its hard to concentrate ...
Heh .. yeah, I didn't have my speakers turned on when I viewed it. Not a big fan, but still a nice job.

Ztreem
05-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Really nice reel, I love it. I especially love the room with all the fabrics animated in wireframe mode.

pauland
05-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Fantastic. Agree about the music. Music is a difficult thing - you're as likely to irritate someone as put them into a sympathetic mood. That said, your reel works despite the music.

Paul

[Added: great to see the Clifton Suspension Bridge - brilliant animation and most unexpected subject!]

Captain Obvious
05-13-2008, 04:26 AM
Very nice stuff on that reel.

pumeco
05-13-2008, 04:34 AM
There's a lot of quality stuff in there, and a lot of it is presented innovatively, congratulations :thumbsup:
Must be great to be at such a level with LightWave.

vashts
05-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Thank you!
Well.. about the music.. I let several people to see the reel before release, and all of them agreed with my choice: it's a very ritmed song, equally subdivided in 5 seconds long "pieces", rock-style (I hate techno..).. and it's linked with my avatar :D I think it's a matter of liking, and.. well, there's always a mute button in all players :thumbsup:

vashts

Mitja
05-13-2008, 05:35 AM
One of the best reels I've ever seen! Certainly in the top-3.

Pomfried
05-13-2008, 05:51 AM
Ah, so you are still alive :D
Really nice work, love it!

Keep it up :thumbsup:

Steamthrower
05-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Very nice stuff!

vashts
05-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks!

Ah, so you are still alive :D
Really nice work, love it!
Well.. it took a little more time I had expected.. :p You can "see" your Occlusion Node in the Clifton Suspention Bridge scene.. and several other parts: thank you for that! :thumbsup: And thank Wolf for the 64bit port! :bowdown:

vashts

Salv8or
05-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Absolutely lovede it!

Is everything youre own work? no team efforts? Like youre lighting skills.
Do you occlusion bake all youre work?

Cheers, and keep am coming.

kfinla
05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
I don't mind the music.. if you like it keep it.. its YOUR reel.. and the fact is most places will watch your reel muted and possibly even fast forwarded..

vashts
05-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Thank you for all the kind words! :thumbsup: Even if you don't like music.. :hey:

Is everything youre own work? no team efforts? Like youre lighting skills.
Do you occlusion bake all youre work?
Yes, except for some Vue trees, I can say every single polygon is a creation of mine (and LW), produced and rendered with my home PC, an Athlon64 4200+ with 4GB RAM (only during the final part, before they were 2GB).
I usually don't use Occlusion, I don't like it, but I needed it in the livingroom scene for adding more contrast, and few other scenes, while Clifton Suspension Bridge uses Pom's occlusion only. And no, I didn't use baking.

vashts

Sekhar
05-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Great looking work and so very diverse too... Congratulations! I kind of liked the music, actually.

Wickster
05-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Awesome Reel. Congratulations on its completion.
I kinda like the music too, It's very Vash the Stampede-ish. :D

toby
05-18-2008, 12:37 PM
*Excellent* work. You should have no trouble getting employed.