PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Wheel Rotater

Philbert
05-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Can anyone explain how this works? I've never really played with Relativity before. I made a up a rough car object with 4 wheels on separate layers. In Layout I parented the wheels to the car and opened relativity for one of the wheels, then picked Dr. Wheel Rotator on the X channel, because that's they direction my "car" is facing. It won't let me select the object or it will but nothing appears in the text box, so I picked Parent which should do the same thing. I measured the distance across my wheel and entered the results into the box. Clicked OK and it filled in the X field with:
2*ODIST(PARENT,t)/(1.227328)

Everything seems fine, but when I move the car the wheel follows along as expected, but it doesn't roll, it just slides along as if I had done nothing to it.

What I really need is a way to make the wheels roll, even if the front wheels are turning.

clagman
05-12-2008, 02:44 PM
X is the wrong channel. You need to setup the rotation on one of the HPB axis (depending on which way the wheel was modeled).

Philbert
05-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Ah, thank you.

Uh.. Nope, still don't roll.

NAS
05-12-2008, 03:06 PM
William "Kay" Vaughan has done a full tutorial on using wheel rotator in the vid tutorial post ;)

NAS

Philbert
05-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Kay? Really, I must've missed that one. I'll go check it out, thanks.

NAS
05-12-2008, 03:12 PM
It might not be in the thread it might be on the Lightwave site or something
I know i watched it recently though
When you watch you'll understand "Kay"
WV has been my own personal jesus christ a few times with those tuts ;)
Cheers W

NAS

UnCommonGrafx
05-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Phil,
Did you get it working?

If your car is then parented to something it means that the parent of the tires, the car, isn't moving.

The Object to be followed needs to actually be moving.

Philbert
05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Oh OK. Funny, I've watched all of those videos and heard Will talking many times, but it never really occurred to me how many times he says "kay".

Robert, not yet. *shrug*

UnCommonGrafx
05-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Mind posting a simple scene of what you have? I'm sitting here doing nothing but a bottle of beer...
Life is pretty good...

Philbert
05-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Well it was done in 9.5 so the scene won't load in anything else. Here it is. I was testing with the back left wheel.

Chuckpie
05-12-2008, 05:47 PM
I have not used Dr. Wheel. I feel nulls work just as fast and easy to control. Try the zip and see if it helps you. I am about to go home for the day but if you have questions I will check this thread tommrow.

WilliamVaughan
05-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Glad you found the tutorial kay....so once you have set it up, let us see what you've put together kay.

:thumbsup:

Philbert
05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
I have not used Dr. Wheel. I feel nulls work just as fast and easy to control. Try the zip and see if it helps you. I am about to go home for the day but if you have questions I will check this thread tommrow.

You didn't include the object, "tire roll test.lwo".

UnCommonGrafx
05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
It really doesn't matter, Phil, as it's not the "automatic" you are wanting as odist should give you.

NAS
05-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Glad you found the tutorial kay....so once you have set it up, let us see what you've put together kay.

:thumbsup:

:) :bowdown:

NAS

Ztreem
05-13-2008, 01:04 AM
You can also use Dodgy's great wheel plugin, it makes the process very easy and it also works in all axis so you don't have to setup several expressions to get it to work on uneven ground planes. Look for wheel in the plugin page. (http://www.mikegreen.name/)

Phil
05-13-2008, 01:05 AM
Hmmm. I was just wondering if this was related to the 'make rel interactive' generic plugin. Without that, Relativity doesn't preview the results of expressions. It's not the default mode - the original developer of Relativity didn't like the slow-down in viewports that resulted from constant reevaluation of expressions.

UnCommonGrafx
05-13-2008, 04:16 AM
I tried that, too, Phil.

I'll try more today.

clagman
05-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Try this one eh. Extremely basic setup (read: crappy) but should give an idea (sorry I didn't have time to do more elaborate). I tried working with your model but couldn't get it to perform at all so I'm not sure what the deal is. Probably something simple (like it not liking the name or something).

UnCommonGrafx
05-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Your object needs to be pointing into the Z.

And it'll work...

Glad to be wrong.

Chuckpie
05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
I thought I had placed the object in the same folder as the scene. Anyway here it is.

Philbert
05-13-2008, 10:06 AM
That's OK, the problem has been solved now anyway.