PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Speed

DHudson
05-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Hello- I need to speed up my rendering time- and am wondering if there is something that needs to be updated on my computer. I only have one computer. Here are the specifics on the PC:
Dell Precision PWS670
Intel Xeon CPU 3.20 GHz
3 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI

LightWave 8.0 being used.

The computer came with 2 GB Ram and I put 2 more in. It doesn't seem to be rendering that much faster.

I am rendering a simple room scene - no furniture. The only purpose is to display the wood moulding around doors/windows etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you-
DH

Mitja
05-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Nowadays you can buy a quad coremachine with 600E,and of course 4 is better han 1.
With smll scenes like yours 2GB of ram a just enough: anyway the amount of ram doesn't affect render speed.
And finally, from ver 9.2 LW's render engin is much faster than v8.

DHudson
05-12-2008, 08:22 AM
How much faster is 9.2 them LW version 8? If its going to actually be a leap in time difference- I'll get the upgrade.

Thanks for the response

4dartist
05-12-2008, 08:33 AM
The real noticeable difference in render times between 8 and 9.2 would be seen on multi-core machines I bet. The new cameras really handle cores well.

I really agree with Mitja. Purchase a quad core machine or mobo/proc and you will see almost 4x render speed improvements. You won't really need any more than 2 or 3gb of RAM. I'd say 3 would be ideal. If you can't afford quad-core then get a dual-core, and have 2x. I think those sort of improvement numbers will greatly out weigh the speed increase between 8 and 9.5. Unless maybe you render a lot of Radiosity, that area is much faster now. (in some ways)

We purchased intel-mac computers that are dual quad-core 3.0ghz machines for around 4 grand, and they are freaking insane fast at rendering. We saw more than 8x improvements over our PPC 2.4ghz dual processor comp.

4dartist
05-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Beyond a point, I don't think RAM will help you at all. Once lightwave stores all the information it needs too into the RAM then it doesn't use any more of it. (I don't think) Plus your running 32-bit LW i assume so it's capped somewhere around 3gb anyways. But if your scene isn't heavy and not too many big images then your probably not even using up the 2gb it came with, that's why you wouldn't see any improvements.

I think with lightwave the main factors in render times are the settings you use, and the speed of your processor.

Mitja
05-12-2008, 08:40 AM
How much faster is 9.2 them LW version 8? If its going to actually be a leap in time difference- I'll get the upgrade.

Thanks for the response

It's really faster, dunno the exact amount, but only if you use GI, otherwise you won't notice a diffrence (though there is,a bit).
For example, a scene with mc radiosty 1 bouce v8, rendered in 1 night,and more; same scene v 9.3 c.a 1 hr.
And there are the new cameras, which are, in most of the cases, faster than the classic camera.

DHudson
05-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Thank you guys for your thoughts - much appreciated.

DHudson