PDA

View Full Version : T[2] DVES: 720x480 vs. 720x486?

tmon
07-23-2003, 01:20 PM
I'm using 1036 Wipe.DVE and notice that when the DVE kicks in the video I'm transistioning to appears underneath it (about 4-6 pixels?).

Got me to wondering: Were these DVE's created for 720x480 video and is that why this is happening?

VDI-Angus
07-23-2003, 02:13 PM
I couldn't say for sure on that, but I've certainly seen enough TV programs and commercials with 480 overlayed over 486, and 480-line DVEs applied to 486-line video, that it wouldn't surprise me in the least. At least NewTek aren't the only ones doing it.

ringdin
07-24-2003, 11:59 AM
I've always seen this problem. It really can be trouble if the client is projecting the video since many projectors show the full underscan screen. Has this been fixed in VT3?

tmon
07-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Yeah, more and more of our stuff is going to laptop for sale presentations (mpeg1 via TMPGEnc) and the "edges" of video are more important as I don't get help from "overscan."

Sometimes, I have to run stuff through our old DPM 700 to crop/mask stuff off...hmmm there must be a way to do this with the VT switcher. Still, I wonder what this is about. I haven't gotten into the DVE Creation Kit yet, so someone with more expertise will have to chime in here and help this igorant bloke.

ren_at_home
07-29-2003, 12:47 PM
If you are going through TMPGEnc then you can crop there
as part of the whole process.

setting/advanced/clip frame

As for broadcast most TV's won't show the areas you mention.
If you make your own DVEs for VT[2] then you should make them
720 x 486

hope that helps

Ren

ren_at_home
07-29-2003, 12:57 PM
I could add to this that if you want to do this all in VT[2] then
you could make an overlay with an alpha channel (TGA)
and use that so you end up with a clean black border all around.

Make a 720x486 TGA and in the alpha channel poke out a
window for your video to show through. You can do this in
Photoshop or whatever...

In TEd turn your project into a sub-project, import the mask
and place it below your work on the timeline. Stretch it the
full length of the project. Turn on its overlay ability and the
video should show through.

cheers,

Ren

SBowie
07-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Photoshop .... Photoshop? Whassat?!! ;-)

tmon
07-29-2003, 02:39 PM
Great workaround suggestions, all.

I guess by inference, I should take the answer to mean that the DVE's were created as 720x480? I guess I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an anomoly in the DVE Creation Kit or some other wierd thing.

ringdin
07-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the work around but this is a real problem that should be addressed by Newtek. Having to mask off edges on most of my DVE's is another step that costs me time and money.

JFAns
08-05-2003, 11:22 AM
I think you are all lucky.

If you been a PAL user you will see how many pixels you have to crop off.

I don't mention nothing about this since T3 will ship soon to Pal user (I hope) and I want to see if this was corrected.

Jose Anselmo

pfrench
08-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Ideally, in NTSC, all DVEs are created using the 720x486 LW Scene, or in Aura using a 720x486 project. I believe all shipping versions of the DVE creation kit now omit the 720x480 scenes to eliminate any confusion. 720x480 is just ancient. It is also FAR, FAR simpler to convert a 720x486 DVE Scene to PAL.

Yes, you do see cropped edges on the "3D" DVEs, the reason being is that we discovered with most live video signals, that they are "trimmed" with up to four pixels of Black (or close to black) so we mask those pixels out when the DVE is created. Otherwise you see the black edges of what would otherwise be nice video content.

Note the Aura Wipe Builder doesn't do any masking like that mainly because the video is not flying around.. Maybe the Aura wipe builder is not everything you need, but I would strongly suggest learning how to use it as it is a relatively easy "bread and butter" custom wipe builder. There are also keyframable motion options in it which would allow you to do pushes and pulls..

Gordon
08-08-2003, 05:22 PM
I've installed VT[3] and can't seem to locate the docs for Aura's WipeBuilder? :( Is this available to the public somewhere?
TIA

Paul Lara
08-08-2003, 09:05 PM
If, by "public", you mean your own VT Documentation folder, then yes.

If it's not there, let me know, and I'll upload it for you, Gordon.

Gordon
08-09-2003, 06:24 AM
Hi Paul;
This was a fresh install on a new machine and no Aura Wipe Builder docs were installed. There was the rather lean Lightwave DVE builder doc and the standard 10 tutorials for Aura but nothing, (not even in the excellent new manual), on Aura Wipe builder.

This wouldn't be just for me but for all my customers as well! Need someplace common to all for downloading this.

For myself, I have, on another machine, the Aura wipe builder tutorial, but I think it is from a Beta tester build.

Aura wipe builder is in the final distribution build menu, so I know that I will get calls on how to use it.

Paul Lara
08-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Well, in that case, you may tell your family, friends and customers they can download it from the NewTek public FTP server (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/VideoToaster/Downloads/VTWipeBuilder.pdf)

Gordon
08-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Thanks Paul!