PDA

View Full Version : Make it truly portable

videosc
05-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I've been aware of the TriCaster for years and think that this is the year I may finally buy one, so this suggestion comes from a pre-user point of view.

I know that Newtek markets the TriCaster as a portable solution but I don't think it truly is because it lacks a few basic features:

1. Built in battery power. Isn't the TriCaster basically a computer? If so, why can't a battery powered version be made? I mean, we've had laptops for years so the ability to run a computer off a battery is possible. It's very surprising to me that Newtek has not addressed this, unless the TriCaster is a power hog and no battery exists that can run it for any productive amount of time. One of my main uses of a TriCaster would be for high school sports so being able to run it off a battery would be great.

2. A handle on top to carry the darn thing. I'm still kind of amazed this hasn't been added, at least as an option. I guess when I buy one I'll have to jury-rig a strap or something around it so I can more easily move it.

Actually, if Newtek ever makes a "TriCaster Portable" I'd like to see them get away from the shoebox design and go with something flatter, like a laptop.

Just my two cents as a prospective customer. If the things I suggest already exist or are on the drawing boards, please let me know.

ted
05-11-2008, 01:50 PM
As for battery power, do you realize how much weight that would add? And how much would be enough battery power for everyoneís needs? And yet you want TC to be flatter? :D

I say let the user decide on battery or generator options. Not all users need battery power and I guarantee every user that does, will want a different solution depending on the job. JMHO.

As for the handle, I wouldn't mind one either.

PIZAZZ
05-11-2008, 06:27 PM
The Studio and Broadcast units both have handles. :)
They are just are not where you would expect them. ;)

or you could get one of these guys...

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/accessories/xaserbag.htm

or you could just get a case for it with a handle.

PIZAZZ
05-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Regarding battery power. Check out my reply to one of your other posts regarding that.

I have to agree with Ted about the number of people needing battery power being very few.

I supplied the NCAA DII streaming group with TriCasters for remote sports production of Football, Basketball, Soccer, and many other sports. They were never in a situation where they needed to run off battery.

Do you really think you need that capability? Is that a show stopper from getting a TriCaster? I can't put my finger on any other video switcher that runs off of battery. The venerable Sony Anycast doesn't either.

Quiet1onTheSet
05-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I know that Newtek markets the TriCaster as a portable solution but I don't think it truly is because it lacks a few basic features
Careful, videosc. Use of the term "portable" in the marketplace doesn't demand the use of battery power; nor does it demand the inclusion of handles.

(Never mind the fact that the 17" or so, antennae-laden Admiral branded "black & white portable VHF/UHF TV" set my parents purchased from Sears & Roebuck's back in the early 1960s did sport a collapsible handle atop its bronze-colored, plastic cabinet. But it did require AC power nonetheless.)

High school sports venues usually do have access to AC power, I might add. Do you believe the scoreboard is usually run off a battery -- or a gasoline generator? I would guess not, but I could be wrong on this.

Do know that whatever things NewTek might have on the drawing board that hasn't been publicly announced, is bound to be tightly-held, proprietary information, so as to prevent some other company from stealing their ideas and forthcoming technologies.

If you really have an eagerness to run on battery power -- nothing's to prevent you from purchasing the biggest, baddest Uninterruptible Power Supply you can find, charge its built-in battery, then carry that hefty beast (mine weights 29 lbs, and is only moderate in size) along with your soon-to-be-purchased, comparatively lightweight TriCaster Pro (somewhere around 11 Lbs) or TriCaster STUDIO (16 Lbs.) and go to town, on glorious D.C. power, until the UPS unit's battery poops out.

Just my 2 cents as a wise-cracker.

Q1
:D

PIZAZZ
05-13-2008, 12:38 PM
If you really have an eagerness to run on battery power -- nothing's to prevent you from purchasing the biggest, baddest Uninterruptible Power Supply you can find, charge its built-in battery, then carry that hefty beast (mine weights 29 lbs, and is only moderate in size) along with your soon-to-be-purchased, comparatively lightweight TriCaster Pro (somewhere around 11 Lbs) or TriCaster STUDIO (16 Lbs.) and go to town, on glorious D.C. power, until the UPS unit's battery poops out.

Just my 2 cents as a wise-cracker.

Q1
:D

Actually Peter, not all UPS units will turn on without being plugged into AC. I believe many APC units will not. I have some CyberPower rackmount units that will though.

Besides you have to give up that time in transport.

Funny story.... A few years back we had our VT in a portable rack that rolled in and out of the office. My tech at the time shut down the system, or so he thought. Unplugged the rack from the wall, put the lids on, and loaded up the van. We drove the 30 mins. to the show site and rolled out the rack. He mounted the LCDs and plugged them in and low and behold they came on. Of course, we were still a long way from getting the power distro hooked up. He had never turned off the UPS and the computer didn't shut down but it rebooted instead. So it road the whole trip running in the back of the van. Yes the UPS was that big. HUGE rackmounted one actually. We left the system running another 45 minutes just to see how long it would run on battery.

So the moral of this story is... Yes you can use a UPS by itself to do remote NO AC production but it probably is not that good of idea.

jcupp
05-13-2008, 04:02 PM
TriCaster handles have come up a few times lately and have been a feature request since day one so I'm jumping the gun a little and announcing the TC_Sling TriCaster Handle System. The prototype in the picture is a little rough because my wifes old sewing macing went down for the count during it's construction. I'll post a picture of RC2 as soon as I can.

Projected price $25, no modifications of the TC are necessary and it can be adjusted to fit all TC models as well as Digital Arts Transports.

Anyone who is interested can email me at [email protected]

Quiet1onTheSet
05-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Yes you [might get away with using] a UPS by itself to do remote NO AC production but it probably is not that good of idea. Utterly Agree.

Q1

PIZAZZ
05-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Utterly sort of Agree.

Q1

I ask this favor from you Peter. If you quote someone on a forum such as this, please do edit the text. It is no longer a quote if you edit it. It is more or less as if you are putting words in my mouth. I don't need any help with that believe me. See what I mean above in a quote from you.

Thanks.

Quiet1onTheSet
05-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Actually, my intent was to reinforce the idea you advanced earlier in your post, that generally, UPS devices aren't designed for running without being connected to an A.C. source.

Hence the use of brackets "[ ]" -- a generally-acceptable means of adding clarity to one's statement, although that device is also abused (i.e., in the press).

But granted, I'll exercise restraint in employing the device.

Now, in a twist of irony, read carefully this edited excerpt from your previous post:

...If you quote someone on a forum such as this, please do [not] edit the text.

'Simply wanted to clarify, not alter your intent, so apologies where applicable.

Q1