PDA

View Full Version : Creating a ball of light w/ volumetrics - how?

Algae998
05-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Hello all,
Its been so long since Ive been on the forums, good to be back!

So my current WIP is a sculpture of a hand "grasping" a ball of light, with volumetrics pouring out..
I cannot seem to get the settings correct and Im not sure If I am going about this the correct way.

My setup: 1 point light for the ball of light (volum. on), 2 area lights (one on either side for a bit of side illumination. [I didnt pay attention to scale so each grid unit is 50' which is why the volum. settings are 200m..oops]
-for the point light setup; I have to have the radius set very high to get the volum. fall off that I want (which still seems to be too powerful!) but the larger I go, the more the light becomes too powerful in the core, whiting out everything
--in the first attachment the screenshot of the scene and the settings do not correspond.

Nangleator
05-12-2008, 01:38 PM
This should be a snap for the presets under volumetric lights and point lights. Unfortunately, your choice of modeling scale has made finding the best numeric values problematic.

You'll save mondo time if you resize the model. If the scene is already set up and you don't want to reset it, parent everything to a null and shrink it down so that your volumetric falloff range will be in the 1-meter order of magnitude.

Nangleator
05-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Oh, don't parent the light to that null. If you scale it, it'll be just as hard to find the right settings.

Algae998
05-12-2008, 09:22 PM
The scene and scale isnt really an issue, I can always redo it since it was a very simple setup. Im guessing that a point light would work best for this setup. I was able to get a semi decent render and with some post work it turned out satisfactory.

Ill give it another shot at a more reasonable and realistic scale. Thanks for the tip!