PDA

View Full Version : Travel case suggestions for Tricaster

videosc
05-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Can anyone recommend a good travel case for the Tricaster and monitor? Something light and portable but heavy duty would be nice. It might also be good if the case could hold the monitor and Tricaster during actual use... something that you roll up to the location, unzip or flip some latches, move a few things around plug into power and you're ready to go. Thanks!

Matt Drabick
05-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Go to http://www.dvsdirect.com/tricaster.htm and look at the smaller 17 inch case . . . I have sold a number of these . . . very nice!

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems

videosc
05-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Thnks Matt. That case looks heavy duty but it does not appear to have any wheels, which I think would be good to have. I don't suppose you know how much it weighs?

PIZAZZ
05-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Travel cases come in many many many different flavors.

Do you need to travel by air?
If by air do you desire to carry the TC with you or just check it?

Do you plan on shipping the box via common carrier? UPS, FedEx, etc.

Do you care about patching together the TC system when you get on site or do you want everything pretty much ready to go?

Do you have other rackmountable gear you would like to include with the TC?
Do you desire to rackmount the TC?

Biggest question of all....... Which TriCaster are you looking to transport?

We have sold several solutions to our clients. We have a Pelican Case with custom cut foam in it to use for carry on purposes all the way to shockmounted Racks with a special Rackmount adapter for the TriCaster.

Depends on your needs...

csandy
05-13-2008, 11:55 AM
The Tricaster2Go (TC2GO) cases from Videolink in Canada are some of the best I've seen. You can purchase them on eBay. Great product, but caveat emptor on the customer service. I've found this company to be fairly non-responsive. I guess they are making so much money with their great cases that they don't have to call people back or follow-through on e-mail requests.

DMcClaflin
05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
McClaflin Mobile Media's Portable Rackmount Systems are the perfect complement to NewTek's revolutionary TriCaster™, TriCaster PRO™, TriCaster PRO FX™, TriCaster STUDIO™, or TriCaster BROADCAST™ Live Production System.

http://www.mcclaflinmobilemedia.com

ted
05-14-2008, 12:26 AM
I saw your case and it looks awesome. Almost overkill for some, but totally complete with table and stool.
The only thing I would add is that you need a video to demonstrate all the components in use. :hey:
Lot's of stuff in there. I'd love to see it in person.

DMcClaflin
05-14-2008, 05:04 AM
Thank you Ted for your advice ... And ... Speaking of overkill:

McClaflin Mobile Media is currently testing an intercom system designed to be an integral part of the M3-TCPRS(X) compilation, mounting within the rackmount case, it also functions as a stand alone unit.

http://www.mcclaflinmobilemedia.com/servlet/the-191/McClaflin-Mobile-Media-M3-dsh-4PFDIS-pls-I-fdsh-O/Detail

ted
05-14-2008, 10:45 AM
No, no, no, an integrated com system isn't overkill. That's a good thing! :D
I would guess that for most of us it's something you gotta have.
I'm currently having Jef build our all in one system and the intercom has got to be built in for our use.
This way when you show up on location, all the internal cabling for intercom and balun boxes are already connected. Saves time and potential mis-cabling.

Quiet1onTheSet
05-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Thank you Ted for your advice ...
Impressive looking stuff you've got, DMC.

Q1

DMcClaflin
05-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Impressive looking stuff you've got, DMC.

Q1

I Thank you Sir.

D. McClaflin

powwows
05-20-2008, 07:20 AM
The Tricaster2Go (TC2GO) cases from Videolink in Canada are some of the best I've seen. You can purchase them on eBay. Great product, but caveat emptor on the customer service. I've found this company to be fairly non-responsive. I guess they are making so much money with their great cases that they don't have to call people back or follow-through on e-mail requests.

Do you have a link to this? I can't find it anywhere.

powwows
05-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Travel cases come in many many many different flavors.

Do you need to travel by air?
If by air do you desire to carry the TC with you or just check it?

Do you plan on shipping the box via common carrier? UPS, FedEx, etc.

Do you care about patching together the TC system when you get on site or do you want everything pretty much ready to go?

Do you have other rackmountable gear you would like to include with the TC?
Do you desire to rackmount the TC?

Biggest question of all....... Which TriCaster are you looking to transport?

We have sold several solutions to our clients. We have a Pelican Case with custom cut foam in it to use for carry on purposes all the way to shockmounted Racks with a special Rackmount adapter for the TriCaster.

Depends on your needs...

I'll be traveling by air. I'll have camcorders, DLR with lenes, and 3 laptops I need to carry.

Any recommendations? I want to carry all this on with me.

snbgreen
05-20-2008, 06:03 PM
I have the DVS Travel box and it weighs 65lb with nothing in it

ted
05-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Any recommendations? I want to carry all this on with me.

Yup, add two production assistants and they can each carry two bags. :hey:

powwows
05-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Yup, add two production assistants and they can each carry two bags. :hey:

Thanks!

csandy
05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Do you have a link to this? I can't find it anywhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TC2GO-Professional-Tricaster-Flight-case-with-wheels_W0QQitemZ350048960642QQihZ022QQcategoryZ331 9QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1 638Q2em118Q2el1247

Hopefully that link will take you there. If not, go to ebay and type in "TC2GO".

Again, I find their customer service to be a bit spotty - but they do make great cases. YMMV.

powwows
06-02-2008, 01:09 PM
I decided to put it in a pelican 1510 so I can carry it on the plane with me. That way I can step off the plane and do a 1 camera webcast if my checked bags were lost or misplaced.

SweetBeet
06-06-2008, 12:47 AM
"tricaster" search in ebay for a case with wheels pricy but looks good!
RLI

Videolink
06-09-2008, 01:45 PM

Im sorry you think we are non responsive
heres some ways to contact us
email : [email protected] we have a spam bot , so you have to verify
that might have been the problem

phone 416-690-1690
heres my cel: 416-804-7049
800 # free in Canada 800-567-8481

ps we make $50 a case, thats less than 10%

Call anytime
Bruce

Videolink
06-16-2008, 08:55 AM

FYI, we check and answer emails twice a day
and we always answer the phone.

Videolink
06-08-2010, 12:24 PM
We have 3 hard shell flight cases available now for the Tricaster line

Small case houses TC-100 or TC-Pro $300

Medium Case houses Tricaster Studio, Broadcast, XD300, and 3PLAY - $400

TC2GO Showcase Houses any Tricaster/3PLAY and has storage for keyboard, mouse, switcher, and also holds up to a 22" LCD (vesa mount) - $600

The showcase has a retractable handle and neoprene wheels.
Custom designed for Newtek's TriCaster line.
Access door front and rear
Houses up to a 22" wide screen LCD in the lid - vesa mount
Portability in a heavy-duty box
Heavy density foam and heavy duty inset wheels
Vented case and channels placed for proper air flow
A longer telescopic handle
Very stable and secure
Storage compartment for LC-11 switcher, keyboard, mouse, etc.
Shelf to support a small audio mixer
inset handles and heavy duty hardware
We have redesigned the TC2go case based on customer feedback, and will continue to do so.

It now fits all TriCaster models and features a longer handle.

To learn more or to purchase NewTek products contact VideoLink locally at
(416) 690-1690 or Toll Free in Canada 1-800-567-8481.
By email [email protected]

http://videolink.ca/tc2go/

Videolink
09-15-2010, 04:27 PM
New Cases for TCXD850 and dual monitors

treshawks
09-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Thank you Ted for your advice ... And ... Speaking of overkill:

McClaflin Mobile Media is currently testing an intercom system designed to be an integral part of the M3-TCPRS(X) compilation, mounting within the rackmount case, it also functions as a stand alone unit.

http://www.mcclaflinmobilemedia.com/servlet/the-191/McClaflin-Mobile-Media-M3-dsh-4PFDIS-pls-I-fdsh-O/Detail

We might be in the market for something like this provided that the frequency it uses is outside the restricted spectrum for government use.

Videolink
09-16-2010, 07:50 AM
We might be in the market for something like this provided that the frequency it uses is outside the restricted spectrum for government use.

Dead Link!

treshawks
09-16-2010, 07:54 AM
When we bought our 300 we ordered it with a custom built case from DVSdirect. I don't know who built it, but the design of the case is not suitable for our purposes. Reasons: One, there are burrs and sharp edges all over it that scratch and cut everything around it...mostly my knuckles. Two, the cut-out side panels are difficult to line up to close the case because there is no inset stop. Three, the edges of the particle board materials were left exposed and uncovered so usb cables are already getting damaged. Four, The tricaster isn't heavy enough to stabilize the set up when opened because the weight of the 24" monitor will easily cause it to tip over backwards with a gentle nudge. Five, the monitor isn't mounted to the inside of the lid square and black electric tape was applied around the frame of it. Six, it is impossible to add a monitor adapter because the tricaster is mounted too close to the bottom of the case and no access panel was provided. Seven, access to the monitor cabling is not possible without taking everything apart. Eight, no monitor stand was included so we are forced to keep it in the case until we can get the monitor stand just so we can throw this junk away. We had this all-in -one case for 30 minutes before we were unbolting things just to get connections. Now we are just going to do what we should have done in the first place and get a couple of pelican cases with perforated foam. The tricaster is so easy to set up we prefer it over a custom all-in-one case. An added advantage is a couple of stacked pelican cases can serve double duty as a table. YMMV.

Videolink
09-16-2010, 08:07 AM
When we bought our 300 we ordered it with a custom built case from DVSdirect. I don't know who built it, but the design of the case is not suitable for our purposes. Reasons: One, there are burrs and sharp edges all over it that scratch and cut everything around it...mostly my knuckles. Two, the cut-out side panels are difficult to line up to close the case because there is no inset stop. Three, the edges of the particle board materials were left exposed and uncovered so usb cables are already getting damaged. Four, The tricaster isn't heavy enough to stabilize the set up when opened because the weight of the 24" monitor will easily cause it to tip over backwards with a gentle nudge. Five, the monitor isn't mounted to the inside of the lid square and black electric tape was applied around the frame of it. Six, it is impossible to add a monitor adapter because the tricaster is mounted too close to the bottom of the case and no access panel was provided. Seven, access to the monitor cabling is not possible without taking everything apart. Eight, no monitor stand was included so we are forced to keep it in the case until we can get the monitor stand just so we can throw this junk away. We had this all-in -one case for 30 minutes before we were unbolting things just to get connections. Now we are just going to do what we should have done in the first place and get a couple of pelican cases with perforated foam. The tricaster is so easy to set up we prefer it over a custom all-in-one case. An added advantage is a couple of stacked pelican cases can serve double duty as a table. YMMV.

check out this TC2GO case, we have sold a lot of them, and everyone seems to like it

pdxJoe
09-16-2010, 08:44 AM
I currently use a Pelican case with machine cut foam. Quite pleased with it, but I like what videolink has done with their TC2GO case.

Is this checkable as luggage for the airline? Does the tricaster come out on the other end without any damage?

I'm so paranoid that when I get to the airport, I remove the tricaster from the case and carry it on the plane with me. I don't know how many others do this or if I'm just a bit too distrusting of the airline baggage handling profession.

Joe

Videolink
09-16-2010, 08:58 AM
The Tricaster loads into the top, in the TC2GO case, it has front and back doors to access the unit, so you can run it in the case, then just close the doors when yu pack up. we have made a dozen changes to this case based on feedback from customers
just added a lid support lock so it stays locked in the up position

at the airport they have special handling, no extra charge, the unit is marked as fragile and hand loaded

Ive travelled with my 300 and understand your concerns, Im the same...
most airports have this special handling at no extra charge

I currently use a Pelican case with machine cut foam. Quite pleased with it, but I like what videolink has done with their TC2GO case.

Is this checkable as luggage for the airline? Does the tricaster come out on the other end without any damage?

I'm so paranoid that when I get to the airport, I remove the tricaster from the case and carry it on the plane with me. I don't know how many others do this or if I'm just a bit too distrusting of the airline baggage handling profession.

Joe

rally1
06-26-2012, 03:52 PM
I (just) noticed that FedEx has been hitting me for $8.50 every time I ship my Pelican cases, for each case. "Additional Handling Surcharge". From what I can find on the interwebs, it's because it's not in a cardboard box. A example of a policy that wasn't fully thought through.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-46774.html

Lame.

"Ground. A surcharge applies to any package that: 1) measures greater than 60 inches but equal to or less than 108 inches along its longest side; 2) measures greater than 30 inches along its second-longest side; 3) has an actual weight of greater than 70 lbs.; 4) is not fully encased in an outer shipping container; 5) is encased in an outer shipping container made of metal or wood; 6) is cylindrical, including (without limitation) cans, buckets, barrels, drums or pails that are not fully encased in an outer shipping container made
of corrugated cardboard; 7) is bound with metal, plastic or cloth banding (including packages where the outer surface area is loosely wrapped or creased, or where the contents protrude outside the surface area); or 8) would become entangled in or cause damage to other packages or the FedEx conveyance system. This surcharge applies per piece even if multiple pieces are bundled in a shipment. We reserve the right to assess additional handling charges for packages that require special handling or that require FedEx to apply additional packaging during transit."

PIZAZZ
06-26-2012, 07:14 PM
UPS has been doing this to me for years. I was always confused because here I am using a case with handles and wheels. Instead of a big cardboard 80lb box with no handles. Evidence that sometimes things just don't make any sense

NachoJimenez
06-30-2012, 02:09 AM
We carry the TCXD850, a couple of 22inch monitors, intercom, plus a bunch of cables and adapters in a huge Peli case (1780). Then a pastic box with some coax reels and we are good to go. 120Kg in total.

The box has to fly air cargo, which works much better and seems to be safer than carry-on or regular baggage (except in the USA, where TSA rules forces you to use a known shipper like Fedex). With this packing, we have deployed in the craziest places.

In the picture you can see our "temporary studio" in Puerto Escondido beach last august. All the equipment came out of the Peli, including the monitors and the Tricaster seen on top of the desk.

csandy
07-01-2012, 07:01 AM
My favorite piece of equipment there is the large hexagonal brick with the string around it. Sometimes you just need a counterweight!

Now for useful information: virtually every business with air shipping needs in the USA is a "known shipper." Sandy Audio Visual LLC is a known shipper. I only mention that to point out that we are not a shipping company and don't want to get into the shipping business, but we do want the ability to transport our own gear by plane across the country. Find yourself a partner in the US.

PIZAZZ
07-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I believe some terminalogy is getting mish/mashed together. Nacho has a point technically as do you Colin. In our world, I ran across the term "known shipper" when I applied for a Continental Cargo shipping account. I had to go through an approval process and interview to become a "known shipper" with Continental. In order to become a "known shipper" with Southwest I am having to do the same process. As of today Continental/United pulled out of my local airport so their cargo account is not going to be as useful to me.

All that said, I agree with Colin that if you are the business of doing remote site video production, you should look into becoming a "known shipper" with an airline that goes to your most most common destinations. It usually doesn't cost anything but time. BTW air cargo is much cheaper than overnighting via ups or FedEx. Shipping via air cargo the gear flies in the luggage area of the same plane you are fly on. Another major advantage is, like Nacho illustrated, you can use larger and heavier packaging than you can as checked baggage. So instead of only being able to use 1.5-2 inches of foam around your TriCaster you can use 4-6 inches and protect your baby even more. (which I recommend)

Helpful hint:
If you dont want to go through the approval process, background check, etc to become a known shipper on an airline, you can still use that method of transportation by partnering with a company referred to as a Freight Forwarder. One of the best in the business that I use on occasion is SOS.

csandy
07-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Helpful hint:
If you dont want to go through the approval process, background check, etc to become a known shipper on an airline, you can still use that method of transportation by partnering with a company referred to as a Freight Forwarder. One of the best in the business that I use on occasion is SOS.

Jef, I agree and mention this option not as a matter of convenience but law. I don't believe you can register as a known shipper with TSA as a Spanish entity. Partnering might not be simply a convenient option, but the only option.

Happy Canada Day.

Liz Sendoz
07-05-2012, 06:32 AM
I found a reseller for TriCaster cases who ships to Germany, Austria and Switzerland:

Click! (https://secure.streamlab.net/shop/)

NachoJimenez
07-06-2012, 02:26 AM
Jef, I agree and mention this option not as a matter of convenience but law. I don't believe you can register as a known shipper with TSA as a Spanish entity. Partnering might not be simply a convenient option, but the only option.

Happy Canada Day.

Exactly.. Thereīs no way to register as a known shipper for me, so I get two options:

1.- Find a freight forwarder that will act as my cargo agent
2.- Use a cargo company instead of commercial flights (slower and more expensive)

Last time in SJU (Puerto Rico), i couldnīt find a freight forwarder that would accept my cargo. They all told me that since they didnīt know me they could't trust that my cargo contained what i said, and wouldnīt risk their Known Shipper status with the TSA for a one time customer.

In the EU thereīs no such thing as a Known Shipper, all cargo goes through a screening process before boarding.

But appart for that specific problem in the USA, and some weird customs policies in some country or other, Air Cargo works very good.