PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Watch "Speed Racer" at own risk!

m4a2000
05-10-2008, 08:07 AM
I saw it last night, and there are some/most sceens that could send you into a seizure. I personally liked it, but I am just putting out this warning becuse many people didn't feel so good after watching the movie.

Bytehawk
05-10-2008, 09:42 AM
why? Because of bad CG ?

theo
05-10-2008, 11:01 AM
why? Because of bad CG ?

Image-induced epilepsy. This is my guess.

Titus
05-10-2008, 11:20 AM
I say it at an IMAX theater and wasn't a bad experiencie. The room was filled with 4-8 year old kids and they really enjoyed the movie.

dgon64
05-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I also saw it yesterday and I agree-watch at your own risk for many reasons. The script is lean to put it nicely, the cartoon look although colorful just didn't do it for me, the villains are not very memorable, the known actors in it are trying but end up just collecting a paycheck but the real kicker was the dizzying light shows that are the races. Most of the time I couldn't tell what was going on-too many special effects. Some of the cars are cool but strain believabillity even for a live cartoon. There are a couple of funny moments but not nearly enough to save it. The very little ones might like it but also might get a little queasy watching it. The title of this thread says it all-go watch Ironman again even with its faults.

Dexter2999
05-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I say it at an IMAX theater and wasn't a bad experiencie. The room was filled with 4-8 year old kids and they really enjoyed the movie.

I notice you said the "kids" really enjoyed the movie, but made no mention of how YOU liked it.

Titus
05-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I have two small kids now, so I hardly find time to go to the theaters... so lately I find ANY movie to be great :D.

I liked the movie knowing the intended audience are the small children and maybe parents in its 40's (they were kids in the 70's). In Mexico you know that because the movie is dubbed in Spanish (with tipical toon actor voices) instead of subtitles. Even if I missed that, when you have a chimp as a role character there must be something wrong.

NAS
05-10-2008, 08:48 PM
What a pile of hyped up nonsense
The next big leap in visual FX
IF thats the case the film industry is in a sad state im afraid
There was way too much hype and epectation put on this film and it sure didnt live upto it at all
The little tubby kid and the monkey are the best thing in the entire film and after a while the too fast fx just become severly annoying and a drain on your eyes on the big screen

NAS

JamesCurtis
05-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I grew up with the original Speed Racer on TV in the 60's and this movie was only a so-so tribute to the show in my book. The race scenes had waaaaay to much movement and unbelievability!! The race cars slid waaaay too much on the tracks to have ever gotten up the speeds they attained as far as I was concerned. This is the most glaring problem I had with the movie. It was never like that in the 60's cartoon!!

jin choung
05-11-2008, 01:27 AM
saw it tonight... it was pretty dull.

inventive visuals. ballsy style. almost avant garde... and like ag, will probably serve better as a springboard for visuals than for the work itself. "after effectsy" way of chopping up elements and flying them around like cutouts. lots of really nice "transition effects" that link one thing to another thing. inventive narrative technique using flashbacks as a spine... but it went on toooooooo long and it ended up just being jarring and disjointed.

pretty good ending i thought though. tied up everything well and crescendoed to an emotional climax that it didn't quite earn.

very video-gamey... kinda thing that oldsters probably dread about todays' cinema.

man, susan sarandon has a nice rack though. distracting.

jin

walfridson
05-11-2008, 02:59 AM
man, susan sarandon has a nice rack though. distracting.

Maybe that what's m4A2000 warning was about ;)

Dexter2999
05-11-2008, 07:20 AM
I haven't seen it yet. I saw the trailer and the effects set off my "spidey-sense". Little hairs on the back of my neck started screaming "SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL!!"

I never understood who the demographic was supposed to be. I mean the fans of the show are adults, but the visuals seem straight up aimed at kids.

Anyway, I got the sense from the trailers to wait for the DVD.

Titus
05-11-2008, 08:17 AM
I never understood who the demographic was supposed to be. I mean the fans of the show are adults, but the visuals seem straight up aimed at kids..

You're right. The fans of the show now have small kids, both are the target audience IMO.

NAS
05-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Oh yeah worth watching to see how hot Susan Sarandon is still at whatever age she is
Sexy as anything else on screen in the film ;)
Good point jin

NAS

hrgiger
05-12-2008, 06:57 AM
I don't suppose Christina Ricci is nude in it, is she? Because I can't think of any other reason to go see it.

Jim_C
05-12-2008, 07:10 AM
I don't suppose Christina Ricci is nude in it, is she? Because I can't think of any other reason to go see it.

Black Snake Moan baby!!!!
Black Snake Moan!!!

:D:thumbsup::devil:

LW_Will
05-12-2008, 03:28 PM
How OLD are you people?

If you watched the movie, the idea of the story came through with Speed in his class room. Now many people out there made animations in their books in school? How many people filled their tennis shoes with illustrations because there were no shoes to go and buy?

The Wachowski Bros saw Ghost in the Shell and wanted to make a film like it, it was called the Matrix. When they were boys they watched Speed Racer and decided to make cartoons. They, like me, learned how to make cartoons because of Speed Racer. Every aspect of this film is an homage to the Japanese creators and the love of film making that they instilled in the Wachowskis and me.

I'll admit that it is not perfect. it could be trimmed, but just a bit ...most of the explanation of Royalton and the WRL fixes should have been simplified... but, that is because the original material's plot is so convoluted and complex in some things.

I loved this film. It reminded me of why I got into film making and how it is done.

sean hargreaves
05-12-2008, 09:32 PM
By the way...Wills only 12! :D

LW_Will
05-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Well... my sister likes to have me around my 6 year old niece. Likes to keep someone her own age about to go to the movies with her. ;-)

She loved Speed Racer. especially the Rex Racer / Racer X thing.

(Okay, for the record, only bits of me are 12.) :-)

3DGFXStudios
05-15-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm going to eat magic mushrooms and then watch it in the IMAX theater! ;)

(just kidding)

Red_Oddity
05-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Give us a call Niels, and we all go, high on mushrooms :p
btw..speaking of cars...come around some time to check out the status of the short, haven't seen you in a while.

OOZZEE
05-15-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm going to eat magic mushrooms and then watch it in the IMAX theater! ;)

(just kidding)

I wouldnt want to be the guy sitting in front of you when you puke !! :neener:

Jim_C
05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Every aspect of this film is an homage to the Japanese creators and the love of film making that they instilled in the Wachowskis and me.

That may be the problem with some viewers. You get too homagey and only the true fans get it.

But then try to water it down so every Joe Blow and his 6 year old enjoy and you lose the original intent.

Philbert
05-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I watched the review on The Totally Rad Show. One of the guys didn't care for it, the other two were blown away and loved it.

The episode with the review:
http://totallyradshow.com/episodes/yourmom/

ghostlight
05-16-2008, 12:30 AM
I liked it. It was just a lot of fun. There are movies that get academy awards and some are just fun to watch. Plan on checking your ego at the door and you'll see something that's different, colorful, fun, and fast. Some of it was a bit dizzying in IMAX, but I had a good time.

Personally, I liked the cartoony style. The colors are fantastic. There is a race scene at the end where patterns just go CRAZY and leap way out, leaving reality behind and painting perty pictures. No, the script isn't groundbreaking, but it should be pretty easy to realize, early on, that the story, acting style, and visuals are all intended to be tongue-in-cheek, poking fun at movie and cartoon cliches. I, for one, am always glad to see something that breaks the mould.

Iron Man. Now THAT I'd see again and again.

LW_Will
05-16-2008, 04:37 AM
That may be the problem with some viewers. You get too homagey and only the true fans get it.

But then try to water it down so every Joe Blow and his 6 year old enjoy and you lose the original intent.

Have you seen it, Jim? It seems to me to homage while its changing, while it is 100% strictly accurate... a hard balancing act.

LW_Will
05-16-2008, 04:38 AM
alex with the hater pants.

I don't think he likes anime in general.

m4a2000
05-16-2008, 08:57 PM
I did see this movie two times... Money out from my own pocket... After seeing it again I can see that yes, if you might have a seizure don't watch this movie. However, if you want to see a movie that pays respects to a classic 'anime', go see it!

Digital Hermit
05-16-2008, 10:21 PM

I think John Goodman had a nude seen? :D

ghostlight
05-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Love your avatar, Hermit.