PDA

View Full Version : Outlook for Lightwave

hrgiger
07-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Right around the corner is Siggraph and the release of details about Lightwave 8 (Not to be confused with the actual release of LW8 which won't be until 4th quarter this year). There's been a lot more discussion here on the forums lately about how things look for Lightwave and Newtek in general. I seem to think that things are looking up and now supposedly with the dispute between Newtek, Luxology or whoever has been settled, we can expect things to go a little smoother from this point out and good things are to come. But then I know there are some who are still pretty negative about Newtek's efforts and the direction they see Lightwave headed in.

I am just curious to see what the general feeling is here on the forum because you read some threads and feel pretty good, and then others where you're almost convinced that the world of Lightwave3D is near it's end.

So vote, and say what you voted for if you want and why you feel that way. I'm just curious and I'm sure others are as well.

Doug Nicola
07-23-2003, 12:35 PM
Very optimistic. From the look of things, there is going to be plenty on nice stuff in 8. And then even more good very soon after.

I like the fact that NT wants to strike a new tone, leaving the troubles behind and starting with a renewed energy and a fresh look.

From what little I've seen, it's totally obvious the developers are working very hard. Now that the distractions are over, this kind of energy is going to take LW to great places.

comanche
07-23-2003, 12:35 PM
I'm not a hardcore LW user but still learning (I'm using and betatesting Cinema for years now). I like the "look & feel" of Lightwave since I got my hands on it for the first time - and still like it soooo much.

I was really confused with that Luxology debate. Fortunately the development of LW is ongoing and I think it's future will be bright (... again ;) ).

You can't make everyone happy with the current feature set of LW8, but that's the way things go. First things first. Others will follow for sure. A lot of people were complaining about the features of C4D Release 7 ("A 'renderer' only update? No thanks!") and the same will happen to LW8 ("CA tools are nice, but that doesn't fit for me"). I do understand Lee's statement to release a powerfull application SOON, and get the other things sorted in A LATER update or release. You can not focus on everything at the same time, that's for sure.

I'm really looking forward to the future development of Lightwave - and hopefully will find to spend more time with LW! :D

Cheers,
Andreas

Rei
07-23-2003, 01:00 PM
Im happy with 7.5, so i feel that even if i dont like 8, i can still use 7.5 and get places. if 8 is better, great!

hrgiger
07-23-2003, 05:43 PM
It's good to see it's overwhelmingly positive so far. I'm also amazed at how quickly the votes have come in. Notice how many people are watching the community section with Siggraph next week and the release of 8 on its heels.

KillMe
07-23-2003, 06:04 PM
i feel lw is back on track and feel pretty happy with it all, i'm in no danger of jumping ship tahts for sure

my main concern is how when 8 is released the magizines etc ill review it.

while the character animation tools and the dynamics should impress i feel they libale to jump on the fact that there not alot happening on the renderer and modeler front

as i said i'm confident that later releases will sort that out but it might afect people who are choosing a 3d app for tehf irst time or something from reviews

lord
07-23-2003, 06:16 PM
I'll wait and see before coming to any conclusions.

I hope that it's as good as NT are implying, but there are some fairly fundamental changes I believe need to be made which by the look of things we wont see just yet.

But hey, at the same time I recognise that a great deal of sweat's gone into releasing 8, so we'll see.

meshmaster
07-23-2003, 06:17 PM
that was a trick name for a thread - thought it had something to do with MS Outlook... oh well.

I guess you could use ms outlook as a very slow slow slow way to render if you email yourself each frame of the render :p

trygve
07-23-2003, 06:37 PM
I bought Lightwave this summer after trying a lot of the competing applications, like 3d Studio Max, Maya PLE and Cinema 4d. Totally newbee and this is actually my first post her.

In the end Lightwave had the mosts features for the price. I just love the workflow, how easy it is to learn, and the valuable communities and learning resources on the net.

I have no worries about Newtek, I think they are exeptional in their communication with and care for their users.

Exper
07-24-2003, 04:18 AM
Con on NT...
you're blazing right now!

Don't stop it here... please! ;)

Bye.

Nemoid
07-24-2003, 06:32 AM
I am optimistic, because i can feel that Newtek
is working very hard to enhance Lw in the current
situation. talking with the community and doing
what they reasonably ask, is the right way to go :)

grannysmith
07-24-2003, 06:57 AM
Outlook for Lightwave

No, keep Microsoft out of Lightwave. Look what they did to Sumatra.

Wade
07-24-2003, 01:09 PM
I voted with my wallet a few weeks ago when I bought the LW 8 upgrade / DXF+ thing. May have hedged the bet a little in that I got one upgrade and have two seats that will stay 7.5 until 8 shows in all its glory.

hrgiger
07-25-2003, 04:36 PM
Most are happy, some are undecided but it's good to see such a tiny percetage of people who are unhappy with Lightwave development.

stone
07-25-2003, 05:00 PM
could be rather interesting to make a similar poll after sig is over with and lightwave8 have been presented - to see if clarity moves any users in either direction.

/stone

hrgiger
07-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Very true and point taken.

facial deluxe
07-25-2003, 05:22 PM
In 8 I see solutions to some of the dayly problems we meet using 7.5. Therefore I feel listened, and then happy.

I wish newtek will continue to make pre annoucement of what technologies they are developing for future evolutions ie 8.5, 9, ...

I feel far better with this comunication than the previous "top secret" attitude. I know have an idea of what direction takes my everyday tool, and, at a professionnal POV, this is VERY important.

cresshead
07-25-2003, 06:18 PM
having cast my vote as "on the fence" i'm changing to a positive stance with the new stuff announced today

steve g