PDA

View Full Version : First post here - Documentation question

MikeJamesMedia
05-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi everybody,

I've been using other software for about 10 years, and am nearly ready to make the move to LightWave. I'm familiar with what it can do, because I've been a fan, and have watched the NewTek site for years.

In the hope that a trial version of V 9 will become available for Mac, I'd like to get a head start by reading the documentation. Is there a place to download the manual, perhaps in PDF form?

Thanks, everybody, in advance.

Surrealist.
05-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Here is a link (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=681245&postcount=3) that apparently has the mac version trial as well.

Call NewTek about documentation and see if there is not another "Hidden Link".

If you have no luck with that, PM me and I will get you PDF versions all the way back to 8.0 if you need, to make sure all is covered.

MikeJamesMedia
05-10-2008, 02:40 AM
I've just downloaded the .zip file, and will give it a try.

Thanks also for your very nice offer on the documentation. I'll see what NewTek says first, then, as you said, get back to you if there's a problem.

Very nice.
Take care.

Surrealist.
05-10-2008, 05:27 AM
OK Mike,

Good luck with it and welcome to the LW community. :)

MikeJamesMedia
05-10-2008, 05:28 AM
Well, that was interesting.

After installing the program, which went smoothly, I continued on, and registered the trial version. During this time, both "Modeler" and "Layout" were running.

After registration, the software instructed me to quit and restart LightWave, to break out of "Discovery Mode". I quit, and just to be safe, then restarted my computer. (1.5 Ghz. G4 Mac,1.25GB RAM, plenty of HD space, and the latest OS X - 10.5.2) Since then, neither application will run, but instead, they hang during the startup process. (The Mac "Force Quit" box reports "(not responding") for both apps.

I'm Mac savvy. So, I tried finding and deleting all the Lightwave preferences and restarting my computer. Same results.

I'm open to suggestions. It's especially mysterious, since both apps ran during the registration process.

grey_matters
05-10-2008, 07:12 AM
My suggestion would be to just remove the whole thing from the computer and reinstall. I did the mac trial version and ran in discovery mode until my cd arrived. When I removed the trial and installed the cd I noticed the application does not install the same way as the full version.

Surrealist.
05-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Sorry to hear about that. I'm not Mac savvy at all but there is a LW mac section further down, you can try a post there too.

archijam
05-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm not mac savvy, but have never had aforementioned problems. Can only (re)suggest reinstall.

MikeJamesMedia
05-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Ok...

I've tried both possibilities now. I removed the applications, re-installed and re-entered my registration key several times, with identical results. LightWave "hangs" during startup and will not run.

But, each time, it DOES run in "Discovery Mode", so I'll stick with that. Too bad the registration disables the software. (!)

Thanks to all here for your input.

PS> Regardless, I'd still like to be able to read the documentation, while I'm running it.

Take care.

Surrealist.
05-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Have you tried posting that particular problem in the mac forum? It is worth a shot.

MikeJamesMedia
05-10-2008, 07:47 PM
The trial version will not run, after registration, (!) but will run in "Discovery Mode". I'll see what I can learn in that mode.

Thanks. (I've posted my current issues in the Mac area.)

Surrealist.
05-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Yeah, in discovery mode I believe you are restricted to not being able to switch between Modeler and Layout. Then you have a point limit in Modeler of 400 per object save. So you can create as many points as you want but just can not save anymore than 400. So if you want to create a larger model just save it in chunks so you can reassemble latter. Everything else as far as I understand is fully functional. Renders in Layout will have checkerboard pattern. There might be more. But that is about all I can think of for now.

Giacomo99
05-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Also--I've been using Lightwave for eight years, but, to put it politely, the documentation is not the best. The first chapter of Warner and Albee's book "Essential Lightwave 3D" is by far the best and most concise intro to Lightwave I've yet found--if you follow along with the tutes in that, it may make your learning process a lot easier.

archijam
05-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Then you have a point limit in Modeler of 400 per object save.

Isn't that 400 per layer? Every now and then I forget my dongle, but can keep working as long as I spread out my layers .. rendering so can't check ..

Surrealist.
05-11-2008, 10:03 PM
I think you are right. I was going to say that but it has been a while and I could not remember.