PDA

View Full Version : That funny mac video?

IMI
05-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Hey can someone help me out here please?
Anyone remember that video that guy did about the mac where it started like one of those legitimate commercials, but he was going nuts over problems with his mac?

I'm not trying to start anything here really, but I want a friend to see it and for the life of me I can't find it, searching You tube and Google...
Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about here... it ended with him giving his name and saying the whole video was created... on a Macintosh...

Please, anyone?
Thanks. :)

walfridson
05-09-2008, 03:00 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TtZKp8_jOHo

Steamthrower
05-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm not trying to start anything here really

IMI, you unleashed a holy terror.

*ducks underneath fire-retardant shield*

MSwengel
05-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Oh...psh. That guy (in the video) is an idiot. xD

hrgiger
05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
I love that video. And you guys know that is a skit from some comedy troupe somewhere so no need to bash him. He's just the messenger for somebody else who probably hates Macs.:) I swear, it wasn't me.

Jim_C
05-09-2008, 06:06 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1EbCyibkNB0

bloated

imo, many of the mac vs pc ads run on really bad stereotype.. not this one

Hopper
05-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Best line ever ..

"The Mac .. KILLED my inner child".

I must have seen that one 100 times ... and I still laugh my @ss off.

I love and hate all OS's... But I never hate making fun of any of them.

Hopper
05-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Oh .. hey .. I got a great idea. Let's just go ahead and get it on.

Mac haters get your gear!

Windows haters lock and load!

. . . . . . . . . . . FIRE 1 !!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixbzFjv_cU&NR=1

/duck! :rock:

toby
05-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I love that video. And you guys know that is a skit from some comedy troupe somewhere so no need to bash him. He's just the messenger for somebody else who probably hates Macs.:) I swear, it wasn't me.
With the guy complaining about dock icons bouncing (just turn it off.) and saying that "it crashes" (no shizzle, it's a computer.) I'm shocked that it comes from anyone who has anything to do with comedy.

IMI
05-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Hey, thanks guys, I knew I could count on you. :)

Speaking as someone not very familiar with Mac's but as enough of a geek to understand where he's coming from, I can appreciate it as what it is - comedy.
Man, you know, there are certain subjects which would be considered taboo to poke fun at and would upset many people, and those subjects ought be avoided...but... that video shouldn't be one of those. Anyone who takes a satire of a computer platform seriously is... well, it's not what he is, but what he isn't.... ;)

eagleeyed
05-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I saw that video years ago now, funny now as if it was then.
I forgot about this, just msn'ed to to a few mates, one of them is laughing his head off.

G M D THREE
05-09-2008, 09:14 PM
In my opinion parodies have to be based on facts in order to be funny, its like making a spoof about the whether in California bitching that its really cold and rains all the time.

... friend of mine works as a IT for a publishing house, I asked him why don't they switch to MAC. He answered, cause I really would like to keep my job.

///

toby
05-09-2008, 11:11 PM
parodies have to be based on facts in order to be funny
Exactly. I just watched it again, he's not violating a taboo or poking fun at anyone, he's just complaining over and over about one particular platform. There's nothing clever about what he says (ok, except that last line), there's no surprises, we've all heard all these kind of complaints before. I guess if he's expressing your frustration it can appear as comedy, it is edited well for comedy, but if you're a mac user you just sit there and answer his problems as he yells them out. Most of the complaints he makes are obviously on the other platform if not both (a disc set to auto-play?), or just a matter of not knowing how to use a mac. Don't be surprised if we can't see humor in that.

toby
05-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Now THIS is comedy!
watch the robot video, this is what gets spoofed so you have to see it first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww
now the spoof
http://gizmodo.com/372272/video-of-bigdog-beta-quadruped-robot-is-so-stupid-its-hilarious

Steamthrower
05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
This is somewhat self-defacing, since I'm a Mac, but this is classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_vV5mZ8Ox8&NR=1

toby
05-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Can't believe I never saw this one before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_kGL3M5Cg&feature=related

Hopper
05-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Exactly. I just watched it again, he's not violating a taboo or poking fun at anyone, he's just complaining over and over about one particular platform. There's nothing clever about what he says (ok, except that last line), there's no surprises, we've all heard all these kind of complaints before. I guess if he's expressing your frustration it can appear as comedy, it is edited well for comedy, but if you're a mac user you just sit there and answer his problems as he yells them out. Most of the complaints he makes are obviously on the other platform if not both (a disc set to auto-play?), or just a matter of not knowing how to use a mac. Don't be surprised if we can't see humor in that.
Wow .. someone needs a nap.

If you're a Mac user .... well, this may not be funny to you. It's just comedy and "you" are not the target audience. It's simply a parody. It's all about the delivery of his frustration. Knowing all technical aspects of his subject "makes" this not funny for you, however being familiar with what he's talking about and having a sense of humor does.

Do you realize you laugh at things all the time simply because it's comedy and delivered well. You have no idea about the technical aspects of what's behind the subject matter and you don't even care. And for those things you think are hilarious, there's always some group of people out there saying the same thing you are now. "That's not even funny... doesn't he know that you could just .. blah blah blah .." or "That's not how that works, that's just stupid."

It's just a skit man. Don't read anything into it, it's just humor. More people than not think that skit is hilarious. If you don't, that's ok too. Just don't strap on your giant "SuperGeek" outfit and pick aprt the technical aspects of something that's not technical. It's just a video... not a Help Desk ticket.

Relax .. have a chuckle.. and move on.

Mike Borjon
05-10-2008, 04:41 PM
What I find amazing is that Mac haters seem to get more emotionally involved in hating the Mac then what they perceive about us loving our Macs.

Love the parodies though . . . no harm there on either side.

Gotta laugh sometime, it's healthy for you.

I'll throw this one in for us Mac guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Hf4prD3L4

Hopper
05-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I see it just like the same ol' "this 3D package vs. the other 3D package" argument.

Just use whatever gets your job done. If you have a preference, then you'll be more proficient with it. Go for it. They all have their issues. I have to use them all, so I don't really have a preference. If I have something to do, I choose the OS that supports the app I want to use. Pretty simple.

GATOR
05-10-2008, 10:23 PM
As the bumper sticker says, "friends never let your idiot friends buy macs. Just let the ones with a clue buy them."

But, my economic stimulus payment came in yesterday (electronically, of course), and two weeks ago part of my tax refund (put most to next year) came in, so I did what any red-blooded American would do. I bought two laptops for my kids from an all-American company from a company I've supported for well over 20 years, Apple.

And... I love this part, when the shipping notice came via e-mail, yup, the shipping origin via UPS was from Shanghai China.

China has ABSOLUTELY got to love this stimulus package, despite your OS of choice.

It's sure to boost THEIR economy. Everything we make, is made there.

Bush is an clueless. This is a credit card charge to our kids. At least mine got a laptops. I had no illusion about that. I played my card on this.

I also donated to the red cross international fund this week. Google it.

GATOR
05-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Oops. I originally wrote "Bush is an idiot" but changed it to "Clueless" to try to be polite and didn't catch the 'agreement' and left the "an".

He's not an idiot. He's just clueless.

Such is life. Wish we had 10 minutes to edit.

GATOR
05-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Ooops again.

I just checked with my wife. I assumed because he had an MBA that he wasn't and idiot, but just clueless. My wife, once a VP of a billion-dollar company, informed me that it is very possible to have an MBA, yet still be clueless AND an idiot at the same time. She sited many solid examples.

I didn't realize this. My apologies to those offended.

Etch
05-10-2008, 11:11 PM
As the bumper sticker says, "friends never let your idiot friends buy macs. Just let the ones with a clue buy them."

But, my economic stimulus payment came in yesterday (electronically, of course), and two weeks ago part of my tax refund (put most to next year) came in, so I did what any red-blooded American would do. I bought two laptops for my kids from an all-American company from a company I've supported for well over 20 years, Apple.

And... I love this part, when the shipping notice came via e-mail, yup, the shipping origin via UPS was from Shanghai China.

China has ABSOLUTELY got to love this stimulus package, despite your OS of choice.

It's sure to boost THEIR economy. Everything we make, is made there.

Bush is an clueless. This is a credit card charge to our kids. At least mine got a laptops. I had no illusion about that. I played my card on this.

I also donated to the red cross international fund this week. Google it.

Wouldn't the Senate be just as responsible as Bush in this situation? Perhaps even more considering how hard some of them pushed it.

Speedmonk42
05-11-2008, 05:52 PM
In my opinion parodies have to be based on facts in order to be funny, its like making a spoof about the whether in California bitching that its really cold and rains all the time.

... friend of mine works as a IT for a publishing house, I asked him why don't they switch to MAC. He answered, cause I really would like to keep my job.

///

I crash the macs at work on cs2 daily.

Lock up and lose files like he describes every day. Xerox and Apple technicians have all been paid a fortune to fix this.

None have.

Speedmonk42
05-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I see it just like the same ol' "this 3D package vs. the other 3D package" argument.

Just use whatever gets your job done. If you have a preference, then you'll be more proficient with it. Go for it. They all have their issues. I have to use them all, so I don't really have a preference. If I have something to do, I choose the OS that supports the app I want to use. Pretty simple.

I don't think it is.

I can hate Apple and Microsoft at the same time.

The mistake people make is that they think getting a good hate on for Apple is somehow pro Microsoft. It ain't.

Linux: Open OS, Open Hardware.
MS: Closed OS, Open Hardware.
Apple: Closed OS, Closed HW.

The OS no longer matters, and it probably never should have. It isn't Apple vs. Microsoft. It's consumers vs them both.

If Apple gets its way, using your computer will be like using your cell phone.

That would be very bad.

Hopper
05-11-2008, 07:07 PM
You have a very solid point there.

For a large portion of the consumer society, computers are simply an appliance and software manufacturers know it, so the more they can shield the user from the technical aspects of the computer, the more attractive it becomes. This becomes more and more frustrating for the more technically inclined such as many of us here.

Mike Borjon
05-11-2008, 09:36 PM

Gotta agree with you guys (Hopper and Speedmonk42) on that one point. Never quite looked at it that way.

Verlon
05-11-2008, 09:54 PM
With the guy complaining about dock icons bouncing (just turn it off.) and saying that "it crashes" (no shizzle, it's a computer.) I'm shocked that it comes from anyone who has anything to do with comedy.

Of course, many of the complaints lobbed at Windows could be dismissed just as readily..

Or certain versions of Windows

Or Linux...

And for everyone that has ever wanted to recycle their frustrating piece of equipment into a boat anchor, there are also some number of ubergeeks who make it look easy.

At the end of the day, the important question to ask is "was the video funny?"

I'd have to say so. If you don't like it, make something as entertaining about Windows. THere has GOT to be a joke in the making about UAC in Vista.

toby
05-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Wow .. someone needs a nap. Hey, whoa, please don't accuse me of being emotional unless I've said something emotional. It's insulting to carefully explain your position only to have it ignored in favor of presumptions. Most of this guys' rants are based on misinformation, I'll always point that out when I see it. I've never liked any of the Mac ads either.

If you're a Mac user .... well, this may not be funny to you. It's just comedy and "you" are not the target audience. It's simply a parody. It's all about the delivery of his frustration. Knowing all technical aspects of his subject "makes" this not funny for you, however being familiar with what he's talking about and having a sense of humor does.
They're not technical aspects, that's what's baffling about it. Panicking that one OS uses a different command key than another, or that a disc is set to auto-play is so strange that it undercuts his joke - so much so that I wouldn't think pc users would laugh either.

Hopper
05-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Most of this guys' rants are based on misinformation, I'll always point that out when I see it.
(*sigh*) ... You missed the point. It's not a rant. It was a comedy skit put together by a production group. The entire script is simply for comedic purposes - IT'S NOT REAL.

The humor is not in the minimal technical aspects of what he is saying. It's simply his delivery of mimicking the frustration that an ordinary computer user would have coated with an overabundance of sarcasm. He could be talking about the operation of a blender and it would be the same skit with the same purpose.

You're reading too much into it man, relax.

Everyone else around here seem to think it was pretty funny, but I guess it's just not for everyone. To each his own.

toby
05-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Of course, many of the complaints lobbed at Windows could be dismissed just as readily..Absolutely! And those aren't funny either!

And for everyone that has ever wanted to recycle their frustrating piece of equipment into a boat anchor, there are also some number of ubergeeks who make it look easy.
Uhh, no one got the impression that I know this technical stuff I hope? I'm lucky if I can get my internet runni...

:D

Dexter2999
05-12-2008, 12:07 AM
For the Mac fans
http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=d14603c1e23e6ce37920a8134a2e27b1405a4991

Mike Borjon
05-12-2008, 11:20 AM
More cool "Why we should use Vista" videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Cf3zTvswI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFMwelwkHVA

toby
05-12-2008, 11:58 AM
(*sigh*) ... You missed the point. It's not a rant. It was a comedy skit put together by a production group. The entire script is simply for comedic purposes - IT'S NOT REAL.Hey, 'relax' man. I'm just using the word 'rant' to describe his performance. It's a spoof about someone ranting, right?

The humor is not in the minimal technical aspects of what he is saying. It's simply his delivery of mimicking the frustration that an ordinary computer user would have coated with an overabundance of sarcasm. He could be talking about the operation of a blender and it would be the same skit with the same purpose.

You're reading too much into it man, relax.

Everyone else around here seem to think it was pretty funny, but I guess it's just not for everyone.

To each his own.Absolutely. So don't tell me to relax just because I disagree with you, ok? And don't expect me to believe the video would get the same response over a toaster.

Hopper
05-12-2008, 03:15 PM
So don't tell me to relax just because I disagree with you, ok?
No worries ... I can agree to disagree. :)

And don't expect me to believe the video would get the same response over a toaster.
Damn, I couldn't find any toaster videos. Well, I did, but they weren't funny. Just imagine a Microsoft Toaster ... man wouldn't that suck. You'd never get to eat.

Steamthrower
05-12-2008, 03:44 PM
No worries ... I can agree to disagree. :)

Damn, I couldn't find any toaster videos. Well, I did, but they weren't funny. Just imagine a Microsoft Toaster ... man wouldn't that suck. You'd never get to eat.

Naw, just get the Blue Slice of Death.

gerry_g
05-12-2008, 04:18 PM
There's a piece on Gizmodo right now about a 25 year old bug in Unix OpenBSD's SAMBA file system that has just been identified and fixed.......... Mac OS (every Unix flavor) is subject to the same flaw !!

http://gizmodo.com/389660/twenty-five-year-old-unix-bug-finally-fixed

Can any Windows users say if MS is any faster at spotting and fixing bugs ??

(posted by a very happy and contented long standing Mac OS user)

Verlon
05-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey, whoa, please don't accuse me of being emotional unless I've said something emotional. It's insulting to carefully explain your position only to have it ignored in favor of presumptions. Most of this guys' rants are based on misinformation, I'll always point that out when I see it. I've never liked any of the Mac ads either.

They're not technical aspects, that's what's baffling about it. Panicking that one OS uses a different command key than another, or that a disc is set to auto-play is so strange that it undercuts his joke - so much so that I wouldn't think pc users would laugh either.

If you over-analyze ANY joke, it breaks down like that.

Did you hear the one about the Maya users in the pickup truck that drove off into the river? The driver got out okay, but the three in the pickup bed drowned because they couldn't get the tailgate open.

Do you have ANY idea how hard it would be to stay in the pickup bed if the truck drove into the river? Why didn't they just swim out? blah blah blah.

any joke at any level.

I though t the video was funny.

"Its so easy to shut down a Mac. You're workng, and then its gone. You didn't close..."

That one is my favorite (and yes, it happens to Windows, and even to my belved Amiga back in the day).

hrgiger
05-12-2008, 05:09 PM
For the Mac fans

The funniest part of that video (other then that guy was a total doofus) was that the commercial that played before it was for Windows mobile. Nice.

And just to add to the video, I notice he was talking about how Mac has had a chess game for a long time. I didn't know that. So what's that make, like 12 titles available for the Macintosh! Holy moly.

toby
05-12-2008, 10:26 PM
The funniest part of that video (other then that guy was a total doofus) was that the commercial that played before it was for Windows mobile. Nice.

And just to add to the video, I notice he was talking about how Mac has had a chess game for a long time. I didn't know that. So what's that make, like 12 titles available for the Macintosh! Holy moly.

Huh, the first time I tried the link I got a story on Iraq... I didn't get the joke...

mattclary
05-13-2008, 07:25 AM
This is now a three front war, and XP still owns. :devil:

mattclary
05-13-2008, 07:37 AM
This is pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVOnFdMf0RU&NR=1

And...

BWAAHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Krgk4Mlps&feature=related

Dexter2999
05-13-2008, 08:43 AM
This isn't funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6toaQXwCdU

mattclary
05-13-2008, 09:13 AM
This isn't funny

I disagree. :ohmy:

Hopper
05-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Found one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPn73Z7hC4g&feature=related

still not very funny - but fits the theme.

toby
05-13-2008, 09:17 PM
This isn't funny

No that sure ain't

Hopper
05-13-2008, 09:27 PM
For the Mac fans
I like seeing these too. Sarcasm is the best form of humor. Not reading too much into it, but I find it funny that it's always "Mac vs. Windows" and who stole what from whom... Considering they're both stolen OS's from Xerox and all the features you see today have been on OS's like SGI Irix and Sun systems for decades. Hell, even Slackware had "Widgets" using X and Motif before anyone had them.

Gawd I love OS wars - it just brings out the best in people. :-)

-Cheers!
best thread ever.

Jim_C
05-13-2008, 09:48 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nymVNhy4dw8 > all

Hopper
05-13-2008, 09:58 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nymVNhy4dw8 > all
Killer. I've never seen that.

That voice over guy has been around for centuries it seems.

toby
05-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Killer. I've never seen that.

That voice over guy has been around for centuries it seems.
Yea he has! But not so much lately. That's Ken Nordine, he does odd performance stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n992e1fx_wA&feature=related
Great voice but it's pretty corny

Hopper
05-13-2008, 10:41 PM
double post .. doh!

Hopper
05-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Yea he has! But not so much lately. That's Ken Nordine, he does odd performance stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n992e1fx_wA&feature=related
Great voice but it's pretty corny
Oh man... that was awesome. I watched the fibinacci numbers one too. Holy cow that was cheesy but hilarious all the same.

"Even the bumps on a pineapple have a 8 to 13 ratio."

Jim_C
05-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Ken Nordine use to stand at one end of Kesey's Acid tests dioing his thing over a PA while the Dead would be playing at the other end.
Merry Pranksters all in the middle.

:jester::jam::eek: