PDA

View Full Version : Tay in the Wind

Spiderman6
05-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Ok, new dynamics question. I have some xfrog trees that I want to react to some wind realistically. Meaning, I want the trees to sway and the leaves to flutter.

My initial thought was to combine some cloth dynamics and wind but the problem I ran into was when I got the wind strong enough to notice the effect, it would bend my tree trunks unnaturally. I put the leaves on their own layer and had the wind just affect those but they would blow off the tree. Is there a way to fix the leaves where they will still flutter?

I'm going to keep fiddlin' but any thoughts would be much appreciated. There's probably a plugin for something like this that I just don't know about. If there's not there should be IMHO.

Surrealist.
05-10-2008, 05:31 AM
If you want to go in a select the stem points on all the leaves and create a wieghtmap or a selection set, then you can use that in the fix field of the cloth dynamic. I don't know how many leaves you have though. It could take a while.

But that is how you normally do it. :)

But how do you get the trunk and branches to sway also?

archijam
05-10-2008, 06:25 AM
I'll have a go (wheeee!)..

I am (all too) familiar with Xfrog trees, (though not animating them) but the following may work:

For the overall tree:
An animated sway that tapers off to the top. Not sure exactly the best way to go about this, but Exception once did this nicely ..

For the leaves:
They are all UV mapped. Perhaps a gradient UV could control a procedural displacement map? This way, only the points of the leaf far from the stem would be affected .. You could also subpatch the leaves to get a more detailed effect ..

Regarding a plugin: xFrog trees are horribly well detailed, and set up diffferently to onyx trees etc etc. A one-fits-all plugin would be very difficult.

Spiderman6
05-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've abandoned this project for now. The effect is minimal for the time required. This was for trees that would be in the background of our sites so when I faked the motion using clothfx, unless I applied gale force winds to make the trees really sway you didn't notice. But I'll try your suggestions for trees that may be used in a close-up.