PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a car.

BAROBA
07-23-2003, 10:36 AM
I got a car that I am rigging right now.
I put the wheels on seperate layers.
The two front wheels have the own rotation point(nulls), and both follow(er) the rotation of the steer. So far so good.
The rear wheels share one null, and both front- and rearwheels are attached(parented) to the chassis( also a null).
This works too.
Then ,all parts of the car that is part of the upperbody, are parented to one null, called carbody.
And this carbody follows(follower) the chassisnull.
This works perfect in cases where the chassis is in control.
But it doesn't work when you want to have the carbody stay level and the wheels move. Like riding on a bad terrain or small obstacles. When the shockabsorbers do all the work. That is what I dont get to work.
Anyone have any tips or a tutorial ?
Thanks in advance.

toby
07-23-2003, 04:45 PM
It's a good idea to have more than one null for an item, each for different kinds of motion. I'd suggest having the wheels' null parented to a 'bump' null which you can animate on the y axis separately from the other nulls

BAROBA
07-24-2003, 02:44 AM
I have got that figured out too now.
For each wheel I got three nulls. One for the steering, one for the spinning around and also a shockabsorber and then a goundnull.

Is there a way to constrain the range of a object? I dont want the shockabsorber to go thru the ground or thru my car.
Sorry never rigged before ...

toby
07-24-2003, 03:27 AM
I'm no rigging expert either :D

hit the "m" key for motion options and there you can constrain the angle of movement, but to constrain straight line movement I think you'd have to do with expressions.