PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk just bought Realviz :(

bjornkn
05-09-2008, 02:33 AM
It looks like Autodesk has bought Realviz
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

It makes me sad every time a big company swallows a smaller one. It is really bad for the competition with just a few big actors, like Autodesk and Adobe, Microsoft and Apple.
I use ImageModeler from Realviz, so now this makes me an Autodesk user again (I also owned LightScape and Autodesk Animator) - but not by choice.
IMO Realviz was not a well-run company, Imagemodeler hasn't been updated in 3 years although it is quite buggy, but it is still sad to see that the big ones get bigger while the small ones die.
At least it looks like they will keep IM a standalone program, as opposed to MatchMover, ReTimer and VTour (which was promising, but very buggy when I tried it) which will be incorporated into Max or whatever?

Red_Oddity
05-09-2008, 03:49 AM
Autodesk is quickly becoming the EA of the 3d software industry, i see a lot of the same marketing and money making strategies (lackluster and unnecessary yearly releases, just to cater to the profit of the shareholder)

Not that we have switched to other software, we still use Maya (it's an investment and pipeline you don't just ditch)

Pavlov
05-09-2008, 05:11 AM
Can someone stop them, please ? Oh wait... we can do it, at the cost of some effort ;)
Personally i avoid financial support to these guys, imho they're flattening out the whole 3d market. I try to evaluate all competitor's products before buy their tools... i.e. i'm buying Progecad these days, it's *identical* to Autocad LT and it costs a small fraction.

Paolo

bjornkn
05-09-2008, 05:48 AM
At least it makes you feel a little better being a LW user ;)

OOZZEE
05-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Can someone stop them, please ?

I am entering new GPS coordinates right now in my nuclear missile silos....countdown..... wait wait.... launched !!

OH SHOOT. wrong coordinates...thats Microsoft !!!!!!

Damn,

OH WELL I tried.

It will be interesting to see what they make of the software in the future....

JBT27
05-09-2008, 06:35 AM
It is sad, and frustrating.....AutoDesk have the capital and game-plan to mop-up good and useful technologies and kill or incorporate as they see fit.

It's the lofty corporate end of what we all use, with suits and shareholders - it's inevitable at that level.

I looked at their website yesterday - a rare event for me - on the basis of what-if?.....I don't know anything about Max, never seen a demo, nor anyone using it, or even read much about it.

But if it seriously came to the crunch and we could no longer use LW - and that would be a bad day - then we might have to lock ourselves into the 'safer' world of products from a company that has so much money and influence.

We had a seat of Maya Complete and one of Unlimited a few years ago - we ditched both ultimately, partly because for us LW was (and is) so much more productive, and it handled scenes that would bring Maya to its knees. On the other side, we hadn't upgraded in two years I think, and it came to the point where Alias told us if we didn't upgrade there and then, we'd be off the upgrade path and would have to buy Maya all over again, brand new licenses. That was the the big decider for me - I won't support a company that operates that policy. That was Alias - I don't know if AutoDesk are the same.

I like the tools of the individual developer and the small company - they're innovative, driven by the development and not quite so much by the corporate bs. That said, I can see the merits of what AutoDesk are aiming at, purely in terms of the software. Unified systems that allow you to handle everything.....I imagine we'll be seeing MatchMover's technology in Maya Unlimited at some point fairly soon.

If it comes to the crunch, and we have the capital, I guess we'll be looking at Maya Unlimited once again, or maybe Max (can it be that bad??), but the sky will have fallen by then and LW and NT will be dead.....OK, a bit harsh and melodramatic maybe.

I think in the long run there's no getting away from a single major developer that services the entire 3D industry - I don't doubt that AutoDesk are going for that.

The same thing that happened to the high street, at least in the UK, is happening to software. The big players kill-off the small traders and everywhere becomes everywhere else.....it's not necessarily a bad thing.....but it is a very boring thing.....

Thank god for LW and NT, at whatever state it's in - we make pictures with it and do OK (sometimes :D), and Silo, 3D Coat, Syntheyes, and so on - long may they continue :D

Julian.

JBT27
05-09-2008, 06:37 AM
I am entering new GPS coordinates right now in my nuclear missile silos....countdown..... wait wait.... launched !!

OH SHOOT. wrong coordinates...thats Microsoft !!!!!!

Damn,

OH WELL I tried.

It will be interesting to see what they make of the software in the future....

Dang!!!

I'll ship over our arsenal and you can try again.....

I sincerely hope the CIA aren't monitoring this forum.....

Julian.

frantbk
05-09-2008, 07:10 AM
It is sad, and frustrating.....AutoDesk have the capital and game-plan to mop-up good and useful technologies and kill or incorporate as they see fit.
Julian.

While I'm not an Autodesk fan I think some of this is too dramatic. Autodesk hasn't killed off anyone. These companies are being sold, that means the people running them are leaving the 3D industry because they can't make the type living with their software that they want to spend the rest of their lives investing in. The fact that Autodesk is buying companys that are operated poorly could, over time, hurt Autodesk. if Autodesk keeps purchasing software with grand ideas, but poor usability performance the poor return on investment will catchup to them.

BigHache
05-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Software developers will sometimes buy smaller companies (or full rights to a single app) to get some code they like. If the groundwork for an application is done and it basically needs a redesign, just buy it and re-market it.

Microsoft did that with the program Expression, which used to be a Mac-only vector drawing tool that once competed with Illustrator. Now it's completely different, completely new interface, etc.

I am also not a big fan of Autodesk, but it's not because I just like to dislike the big guys. To me it seems Autodesk produces many mediocre solutions, at many times very high prices. I'm also not a fan of subscription-based software licensing. I understand it's pros, but maybe I'm just old school in my mindset of you buy a software license, it doesn't expire.

Captain Obvious
05-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Meh, it's not like Stitcher is all that amazing anyway.

gerry_g
05-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Meh, it's not like Stitcher is all that amazing anyway.

Well it has better controls for finessing the joins of the stitches than CS3 but not that much better, but thats why it's bit the dust, CS3 is almost as good and comes free and for gratis, so what's the sweat,

Microsoft did that with the program Expression, which used to be a Mac-only vector drawing tool that once competed with Illustrator

Much better example of a true loss of a product IMHO, really used to use that a lot.

bjornkn
05-12-2008, 08:11 AM
I don't think CS3 is a competitor for Stitcher at all. There are lots of pano stitchers around that are much better than both CS3 and Stitcher. Some of them are free, like Hugin, while some of them costs a few bucks, like PTgui (my favourite). Both are great tools, and a lot better than CS3 for stitching.

The problem with Realviz was that they were quite greedy, like charging $15000 or something for their MatchMover program, because there were no cheaper competitors at the time. Now there is... They also squeezed non-US users with a lot higher prices (just like Autodesk, Adobe, Maxon, Eos etc). Stitcher is also extremely expensive compared to the current competition. Realviz rushed the release of programs, like with VTour, long before they were ready for release. And they very rarely fixed bugs in their programs.
But they did have some interesting niche programs. Too bad there so little competition in those areas...

PS. Looking for a good vector program? Take a look at XaraX. Great, fast and cheap program :)

dingebre
05-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Does anyone know what this means for the current user base of MatchMover? Will I now have to buy 3DS Max in order to use it? There is precious little on the web site regarding exactly what this means...

David

Cageman
05-18-2008, 01:45 AM
I heard rumours that Autodesk tried to get hold of ZBrush as well... but someone somewhere said stop... (thank god for that). It wouldn't be a good thing if one company owned the two best sculpting tools out there.

bjornkn
05-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Well, we'd still have 3D-Coat :)
Regarding MatchMover - I would think that you'd be able to use the version you already have for a few years, and then you'd have to either buy Max (or Maya?) to get access to "it"? Or go for a better and cheaper solution like SynthEyes right away? Maybe they have side-grade offers?
I still have, and use Canoma, which had a similar fate to MatchMover some years ago, when it was bought and killed by Adobe. But I no longer can use my LightScape, which was bought and killed by Autodesk.

dingebre
05-18-2008, 12:18 PM
bjorkn said:
"Regarding MatchMover - I would think that you'd be able to use the version you already have for a few years, and then you'd have to either buy Max (or Maya?) to get access to "it"? Or go for a better and cheaper solution like SynthEyes right away? Maybe they have side-grade offers?
I still have, and use Canoma, which had a similar fate to MatchMover some years ago, when it was bought and killed by Adobe. But I no longer can use my LightScape, which was bought and killed by Autodesk."

You're right, I guess.

I own Syntheyes, too and I do like it for some of my work. And MM won't stop working and handling my other jobs.

Mostly, I'm annoyed at Autodesk for discontinuing the standalone version and leaving (what I would think is) a big part of their existing user base who do not have or want to use their software "out to dry" so to speak.

Time will tell. It always does.