PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and XAML

chapmanjw
05-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Hello,

I am looking for the best way to export my lightwave objects and scenes to XAML. I see the Shaxam tool available for about 80 USD and was curious if anyone had any experience with it. Will it do just objects, whole scenes and animations, etc. Is it worth the money?

Are there any other methods for extracting Lightwave objects and scenes to XAML?

Thanks,

John Chapman

Bog
05-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Hi John,

The free version's a Modeler plugin, which just spits out textured geometry.

The full version's a Layout plugin in addition to that, which converts large amounts of your scene to XAML: Lights, textures, keyframe animation and endomorphs can all be taken across. Seeing as WPF doesn't natively understand how to do endomorphs, we've included a freely-distributable .DLL which teaches it how.

We're working on dynamics and particles, when we find time or when enough people ask us for 'em. Hope that clears a few things up!

chapmanjw
05-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the info. If I do go ahead and purchase this, does it come with free upgrades?

Thanks,

John Chapman

Bog
05-09-2008, 08:16 AM
We're planning to provide free "point release" upgrades, for minor feature additions, bug-fixes and the like. We'll most likely be asking for money for Version 2.0 when we ship that, as we're anticipating some more major changes, due to the changing shape of WPF and Silverlight.

chapmanjw
05-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I downloaded the free modeler plugin and tried to use it. I created a simple box with a solid color for a surface. I used the Triple command to triangulate all the polygons. When I exported the shape to XAML and opened it with Internet Explorer, it was blank. I opened it with Visual Studio 2008 and it was also blank. Do you know what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,

John

Bog
05-13-2008, 02:38 AM
When you use the Modeler plugin, this simply creates a XAML asset, suitable for use in (for example) Expression Studio. It doesn't create a canvas or any other framework to host that model. Without at the very least a viewport defined, IE won't have anything to draw.

Take a stroll through the tutorialettes here:

http://www.shaxam.com/products/0001/tutorial.html

for a bit more info.