PDA

View Full Version : "Out Of Memory"

VTA
05-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Hello,
I'm trying to render a large size file, no larger than I usually do, but for some reason today, and since yesterday I have been getting an Out Of Memory dialogue box and it stops rendering.

I have a Mac Pro Quad 2.66 with 3 Gigs of RAM and plenty of space on 3 drives. I'm trying to render an image 5400x3600, with an AA of 20.

It seems to be getting hung up during the Radiosity/GI Time and just drops dead. My Radiosity settings are Final Gather @ 80% intensity. Some of the other settings are based on having read what will best cause a bog down while Rendering.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.
-Vincent

3dworks
05-08-2008, 03:14 PM
first thing i would do is to open and watch application monitor to see what happens with your memory during rendertime. try your scene with different Gi settings to find out how this influences memory use. especially caching GI in RAM can use quite a lot of memory. if you have very large textures, try to reduce their sizes first. also, maybe try setting the segment memory limit lower - more render passes will be needed, but less memory used in the single pass.

cheers

markus

Giacomo99
05-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Really high subdivision settings can also cause "out of memory" errors. If there are SubPatched items, you might want to reduce the settings. Also, large-size renders (like you're doing) with complex GI settings can cause Lightwave to run out of memory. There are actually a lot of things that can cause this problem. Unless you want to post the scene here for people to download and examine, you're best off trying to isolate the problem by doing smaller-size renders with simpler radiosity settings until you can figure out exactly what the problem is.