PDA

View Full Version : City Engine Software - Whoaa !

OOZZEE
05-07-2008, 02:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7wbP3I8Aeg

lots of small articles about it on the web but havent been able to find the actual web site....

really really looking cool.

Steamthrower
05-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Is this not the site?

http://www.vision.ee.ethz.ch/~pmueller/wiki/CityEngine/Front

tonybliss
05-07-2008, 02:38 PM
that fantastic
perfect timing :D

thanks oozzee

archijam
05-07-2008, 02:42 PM
This was rendered using Maya and Renderman. I know some of the guys who did it ..

The engine (as stated) focusses on the procedural modelling aspects.

tonybliss
05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I think its great for concept modeling

Exception
05-07-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm getting this piece of smart programming!
May 23rd!

rakker16mm
05-07-2008, 04:38 PM
There is only one word I can think of to describe that - Awesome!

Though I am holding back my enthusiasm until I can find out what the system requirements are. Does any one know? I couldn't find it on the website.

Steamthrower
05-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Rakker, from their rather hidden requirements page (http://www.procedural.com/cms/cityengine/requirements.html):

Recommended Hardware:

* Current Desktop CPU (Intel or AMD)
* 2 GB of RAM
* Current NVIDIA graphics card
* 350 MB free hard-disk space for program installation (excluding the asset libraries)

Supported Operating Systems (32-bit):

* Windows XP
* Windows Vista
* Linux x86

Internet access required for license check

rakker16mm
05-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Rakker, from their rather hidden requirements page (http://www.procedural.com/cms/cityengine/requirements.html):

Thank you inigo,

I looked all over for that. I can run Linux X86 but it looks like I don't have the right CPU since my current desktop is a G5. This will have to wait until I update or they feel like coding for an old system.

JamesCurtis
05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Looks great!! let's hope it don't cost toooo much. I'm a freelancer and it takes me a good while to save up any real chunk of change given the slow economy where I live and of course inflation!!

hrgiger
05-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Looks great!! let's hope it don't cost toooo much. I'm a freelancer and it takes me a good while to save up any real chunk of change given the slow economy where I live and of course inflation!!

It says that a fully functional trial version will be available for non-commercial work, also on the 23rd. It would be nice if it wasn't time limited.

It looks like a great tool and I'm hoping I can afford it.

manholoz
05-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I too hope I can afford it.

Hopper
05-07-2008, 09:36 PM
It looks like a great tool and I'm hoping I can afford it.
Looks totally fun to play with, but as a hobbiest, I must focus my financial responsibilities elsewhere. You know ... for the important things - like guitars. :jam: :rock:

But serioiusly, it looks like a fantastic tool for the professional artists.

Matt
05-08-2008, 02:32 AM
Downloaded the free models play with, hmmmm, GI cache test!

Mitja
05-08-2008, 03:23 AM
This makes lwcad quite obsolete, doesn't it?

archijam
05-08-2008, 03:28 AM

I have seen it running first person (it was developed by other staff members within my university), and a comparison with LWCAD is frankly irrelevant.

This is something entirely different.

If you are asking which would be better to generate an entire city of (randomly) different buildings, then this is your tool.

If you wish to accurately recreate a single building, LWCAD will do it in a fraction of the time. That is not what this program is for.

Mitja
05-08-2008, 03:31 AM
If you wish to accurately recreate a single building, LWCAD will do it in a fraction of the time. That is not what this program is for.

Yes, of course.

archijam
05-08-2008, 03:34 AM
What I mean is, the setup time for the Pompeii example was months to generate the different architectural permutations .. and then the applications were endless.

For a movie like King Kong, given the choice of using this or LWcad to generate the city, you have your choice :)

Matt
05-08-2008, 03:55 AM

Nothing can make LWCAD obsolete!

tonybliss
05-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Exactomunto !!!!!!!!!!!!

OOZZEE
05-08-2008, 09:49 AM
I am hoping to that the pricing is with range....

RollerJesus
05-08-2008, 09:51 AM

If snapping and realtime booleans came native with LW, I wouldn't be given victor and more of my dinero...

Mitja
05-08-2008, 09:58 AM

Ok! ;)

calilifestyle
05-09-2008, 01:37 AM
anyone know the price.

JamesCurtis
05-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Not on the site anywhere. I suspect that it will be announced when it is released.

JohnMarchant
05-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I dont think it will make LWCAD obsolete, we have not seen the price yet. i will wait to see the demo before i make any real judgment, seen to much of this in the past, great looking software but when it was finally released did not live up to expectations.

Im looking forward to seeing it in action.

Regards, John

archijam
05-09-2008, 11:39 AM
I dont think it will make LWCAD obsolete, we have not seen the price yet. i will wait to see the demo before i make any real judgment, seen to much of this in the past, great looking software but when it was finally released did not live up to expectations.

Im looking forward to seeing it in action.

Regards, John

If oranges can make apples obsolete, then maybe there is a chance to compare this to LWCad ;)

calilifestyle
05-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Depending on the price. i would say if this city builder exports objs then i can imagine that the files are going to be insanely large. so if it expansive it might be better to use Lwcad and hd instance to build your city.

pumeco
05-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Nice find, although it's certainly no threat to LWCAD.

I think a lot of poeple see LWCAD as just an ArchViz tool, which is exactly what Procedural is, but that's not the case. LWCAD has two major bonuses here; it is designed to let you create accurate models or profiles of 'anything' you want (not just buildings), and the cherry on the cake is that it all works 'within' LightWave.

Regarding Procedural for what it is; it sure looks like an awesome tool for generating a good city scape very quickly. I think it'll suffer somewhat in that it will be overused. You'll suddenly start to see so many cityscape renders that you'll wish you never complained about the 'Babes with Guns' variety. People will probably say 'Yeah, nice work, but it was knocked out in Procedural in five minutes'.

In that respect Procedural is nothing more than 'Poser' for the ArchViz community.

I'll certainly take a look at it, maybe even buy it if it's priced in the disposable category. But no way is that thing any substitute for LWCAD. LightWave without LWCAD is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Procedural sure looks cool, but LWCAD is much more of a tool.

Phil
05-12-2008, 04:58 AM
Depending on the price. i would say if this city builder exports objs then i can imagine that the files are going to be insanely large. so if it expansive it might be better to use Lwcad and hd instance to build your city.

Indeed. The example wavefront files are not small, some up to 15 million polys; some less. Without some radical improvement of the memory handling in LW, this is not going to be the whole answer to cityscapes - you'll still likely end up exporting subsections with a view to using HDInstance to make the shot work.

archijam
05-12-2008, 05:04 AM
On the other hand, I admit I bought the game Scarface recently, which is a fairly blatant rip-off of the first person GTA series. It's fun in it's way (also rips off bullet-time .. hmmm)

For games developers wanting to make similar generated environments, with LOD etc, this shall be a very interesting addition to the modeling toolset ...

OOZZEE
05-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Regarding Procedural for what it is; it sure looks like an awesome tool for generating a good city scape very quickly. I think it'll suffer somewhat in that it will be overused. You'll suddenly start to see so many cityscape renders....

yes it might but I dont think so... it will be very cool to use it just for making one building by dragging whatever part of the building to create a single unique stylalized architecture. and then importing it into a LW/VUE environment for rendering....

only eight days to go to find out pricing !!! yeah !!!

Steamthrower
05-15-2008, 02:48 PM
only eight days to go to find out pricing !!! yeah !!!

Should we place bets on the price? Or is that called internet gambling?

I say $495.00.

calilifestyle
05-15-2008, 04:37 PM
um $698

JohnMarchant
05-15-2008, 05:13 PM
499.99 Bucks :):)

archijam
05-15-2008, 05:20 PM
In Swiss Francs, guys! ;)

StereoMike
05-16-2008, 02:07 AM
300 Euro perhaps? I guess not, but anyway, that's my bet :)

Speedmonk42
05-16-2008, 10:53 PM
If it came with a carpet bombing plug-in, I might buy it.

pneuma
05-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Looks like a great app, I just wonder what it's going to cost.

RedBull
05-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Well considering it was meant to already of been released, and unlike the other day when the website said demo available on the 23rd, it now does not say anything at all...

It doesn't give me much confidence in the ability of the developers as a commercial entity. If you are silly enough to give an exact date months in advance, and fail to meet said date, money is not the first thing i think of giving them... Still cannot see a price or purchase available. Pphhhh...

Let me know when it's released fella's... :)

Steamthrower
05-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Doesn't reflect well, I agree, especially since the date was so exact...not "the latter half of May" or "before June", but "the 23rd".

OOZZEE
05-25-2008, 09:10 PM
very very strange indeed !!!! not promising.....

Bog
05-26-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm betting it's going to be four figures, easily. This is a tool like Massive or FaceRobot, rather than being a hobbyist's toy.

archijam
05-26-2008, 01:32 PM
I have a meeting with some of them next week, will see what I can dig up :thumbsup:

walfridson
05-30-2008, 10:32 AM
http://www.c3technologies.com/ these swedes have made a similar thing.

Beta over Stockholm http://hitta.se/3d/3d_splash.aspx

Skinner3D
05-30-2008, 12:46 PM
;D For those of us who are impared in the realm of environments (not having vue, *cough*:cry:) *<---which is me* :D This seems like one of those programs where it could really help to set the background, therefore allowing the time to be spent doing the modeling and animation of the actual subjects.
As I also do not know what HDR Instancing is, this program or CityGen seems to be my only options. Money is of consequence though :(

rakker16mm
05-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Problems with Vista is all.... (http://www.procedural.com/news/news-singleview/article/cityengines-preview-movies/1.html) Looking forward to the release

CityEngine's Preview Video
Category: News
By: Pascal Müller
We are on the home stretch for the CityEngine finalization...

We are on the home stretch for the CityEngine finalization and are battling out heavy fights with Vista's memory management. Due to these unpredictable circumstances, we are slightly behind schedule. But we are confident to win the battle with Mr. Gates' OS. However, we apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.

To shorten your waiting time, we present a CityEngine preview video showing how you can create an urban environment in minutes and introducing the shape grammar modeling environment:

creativecontrol
06-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm getting this piece of smart programming!
May 23rd!

Please do keep us fill us in on how well it works for you!

calilifestyle
07-23-2008, 08:28 AM
So this finally came out. wow i was wrong about the price by alot "A regular CityEngine license costs $ 6'950.- without VAT (we will add VAT only for Swiss customers)."

so is this in euro's? well in any case ill have to pass. hehe

archijam
07-23-2008, 08:34 AM
About 4500 euro. Quite steep. I should visit these guys next week, will see how it's going ..

OOZZEE
07-23-2008, 10:54 AM
$6950 - YIKES !!! oh well, so much for that....

I think its a little ridiculous nowadays to charge this amount for software....

but I still wish them luck and success with this innovative idea !!

Lightwolf
07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
http://www.c3technologies.com/ these swedes have made a similar thing.

Hm, the only similarity is that both techniques are used for cities.
C3 is dealing with real world data and tries to extract geometry from various sources (such as LIDAR scans).

City Engine however builds cities and building based on a set of rules - which may be based on real world variables but mustn't be.
Modelling an existing city using City Engine (to match the real world counterpart exactly) wouldn't make that much sense, just as you wouldn't want to use C3 for imaginary, designed cities.

It's nice to see that City Engine finally made it... and it seems a lot has happened since I first saw results from it. Wow....

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
07-23-2008, 02:37 PM
$6950 - YIKES !!! oh well, so much for that....

I think its a little ridiculous nowadays to charge this amount for software....

Well, it makes a lot of sense. They won't sell many seats, even to larger studios, since one artist is enough to operate it even for a lot of different scenes.
And if it shaves a few weeks off your modelling time then it isn't that much anymore (looking at it from a "professional" - getting paid for your work - context).

Cheers,
Mike

rakker16mm
07-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Two words....

Learning Edition :D

rakker16mm
07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Well, it makes a lot of sense. They won't sell many seats, even to larger studios, since one artist is enough to operate it even for a lot of different scenes.
And if it shaves a few weeks off your modelling time then it isn't that much anymore (looking at it from a "professional" - getting paid for your work - context).

Cheers,
Mike

I get paid, but this is a bit beyond the price point at the moment. Of course it goes without saying that when the right job/client comes along the price would no longer be a significant issue.

JohnMarchant
07-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Ive downloaded the trial and i try it in the next few days, when i get the chance. Cant save or export and only 30 days, like has been said leraning edition would be nice.

JohnMarchant
07-23-2008, 03:47 PM
If you need this sort of thing then £350 is not that much and if it shave 2 weeks work off, its probably well worth the amount to a big studio

JohnMarchant
07-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Sorry Typo £3500, its still worth it

rakker16mm
07-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Sorry Typo £3500, its still worth it

OOOOoooph... You had me going for second :D

zapper1998
07-23-2008, 05:25 PM
7,000.00 bucks
wow thats a lot of mulla

manholoz
07-24-2008, 07:43 AM
With that price, why not go for Houdini non-starving edition? You get much more, and the tutorial for doing cities costs (if I remember correctly) USD$50.
With my humble budget, I'll stick to Vue and learning Houdini... eventually.

gatz
07-24-2008, 09:48 AM
And don't forget. You'll need Massive to populate that city;)

$17,999

http://www.massivesoftware.com

CMT
07-24-2008, 10:29 AM
And don't forget. You'll need Massive to populate that city;)

$17,999

http://www.massivesoftware.com

Still, you'll more than make up for the cost of extra's then. :)

archijam
08-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Bump :)

There is a trial version of City Engine, for those curious ...

http://www.procedural.com/enter/games

monovich
08-20-2009, 09:43 AM
wow thats pretty expensive, but I guess if you had the right project to pay for it it would be reasonable. I'm a little bummed it isn't a tad cheaper. if it were 1k I'd snap it up just to have it in the quiver.

akademus
08-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Very good! And very expensive, but I guess if you are in archi waters, it comes in handy.

Thanks for the heads up

OOZZEE
08-21-2009, 10:12 AM
I asked them to release only the procedural modelling part ( not the city plannning part) as a separate app to model buildings one at a time... so import several variations to come up with a single mixed version of a new building. They said they are looking at new ideas like this but couldnt confirm it would happen. I told them I woul certainly but that at a reasonable price.

glad to see though that things seem to be working out for them.

OnlineRender
04-26-2010, 07:05 AM
BUMP: have a gander just AWESOME : was talking to them on FB , https://www.assemblive.com/event/WevDj6qEKK/ the software's moving fast !

( I also want it noted that I used the search on the forum ) :D

archijam
06-27-2010, 02:52 PM
The latest news is that there are now 'INDIE (500 bucks) and STUDENT (150) versions of CityEngine, for those interested.

http://www.procedural.com/company/news/news-single/article/smart-3d-cities-with-new-cityengine-2010/1.html

Just so you know. The new videos are pretty impressive.

JamesCurtis
06-28-2010, 09:49 PM
The latest news is that there are now 'INDIE (500 bucks) and STUDENT (150) versions of CityEngine, for those interested.

I'm too old to be a student anymore - 55 yrs. old!! That's about all my budget would allow these days.

gordonrobb
06-29-2010, 02:24 AM
Looks awesome. But skint :(

UnCommonGrafx
06-29-2010, 02:21 PM
How about someone recode the Blender python city building code for the eventuality of LW and Core having python?
Then, we might have a chance at something a little less expensive...

(I'm looking at it but it's gonna take somethings I'm slim on: time and python knowledge. ;} )

IgnusFast
06-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Am I missing something? I haven't played with it for much time, but the buildings it generates in the demo are really low poly. Are there better looking assets in there somewhere, or are they expecting you to provide your own, higher detail stuff?

archijam
07-01-2010, 01:58 AM
For the most part you have to set up your own 'rules', so yes, it's alot of work...

More aimed at teams and large scale vis groups.

hrgiger
07-01-2010, 07:48 PM
For that price, I'll hold off to see what Viktor comes up with in LWCAD. Supposedly he's going to do procedural buildings/city type features.

cresshead
07-02-2010, 01:18 AM
i'm sure i read somewhere that citygen is now inside 3dsmax 2011....i have 2011 but as of yet not got around to installing as we all know it's a pain in the *** to move my old icon sets over to new 3dsmax as i HATE the new el bland icons!...so one day i'll sort it but not yet! and max already has a great freeby building generator that quite detailed and not lo poly.

good to see city gen offering a student and indie version though

roctavian
07-02-2010, 03:45 AM
i'm sure i read somewhere that citygen is now inside 3dsmax 2011....i have 2011 but as of yet not got around to installing as we all know it's a pain in the *** to move my old icon sets over to new 3dsmax as i HATE the new el bland icons!...so one day i'll sort it but not yet! and max already has a great freeby building generator that quite detailed and not lo poly.

good to see city gen offering a student and indie version though

I think you mean CityScape (http://pixelactive3d.com/), to be more precise, their "Promo" offer bundled with max?

Now, that is an expensive piece of software. :)

cresshead
07-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I think you mean CityScape (http://pixelactive3d.com/), to be more precise, their "Promo" offer bundled with max?

Now, that is an expensive piece of software. :)

ah yeah...that it!...just looked at the demo video you linked to..pretty impressed for a FREEBY in max...
http://pixelactive3d.com/Products/CityScape/

it's a bit like a game level editor

might just be the nudge i need to install max2011:D

more blah balh text here>>
http://news.autodesk.com/portal/site/autodesk/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100412006455&newsLang=en

roctavian
07-02-2010, 01:28 PM
ah yeah...that it!...just looked at the demo video you linked to..pretty impressed for a FREEBY in max...

Imdeed, very nice for a freeby.
When I saw how much they are asking ($19,000) for a for a full version license, I lost all my interest.
You can also find some free youtube HD tutorials here (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7FF186450D9C72F5)
Have fun. :)

Titus
07-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Simcity is much cheaper :D.

OnlineRender
07-21-2010, 04:23 PM
City Engine are running a comp to win a free Indie Version " take note NT "

you recive a sticker then stick it somewhere , so I buit a city out of spare parts . . . .

:rock:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs116.ash2/39137_139754089382278_100000430632637_309966_45931 39_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs175.snc4/38096_139753379382349_100000430632637_309964_65511 98_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs227.snc4/38671_139754609382226_100000430632637_309967_12110 44_n.jpg