PDA

View Full Version : jumpin procedurals

jimiclaybrooks
05-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm doin a render on my small farm, and I"m having a problem with the procedural textures. they're jumpin all over the place. If I render on just the workstation, things are just fine. But the issue is with the distributed renderer, as you can see.

iconoclasty
05-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Do the computers on the farm have different CPU manufacturers? I seem to remember this affecting how procedurals get calculated. You could always bake them though.

jimiclaybrooks
05-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Yeah, most definitely. Also, the computers range in age too. Looks like I may have to abandon the renderfarm for this go round. Yikes!

jimiclaybrooks
05-07-2008, 02:21 PM
But then, the thing is.. when I did one test render, the first two frames were different, even tho they came from the same machine, which is my workstation. How does that figure in??

Surrealist.
05-07-2008, 09:44 PM
I have heard of this problem many times in rendering across the farm. Have you tried a search for it? I know it has come up before here.

serge
05-08-2008, 05:53 AM
But then, the thing is.. when I did one test render, the first two frames were different, even tho they came from the same machine, which is my workstation. How does that figure in??
This is a common problem if there's a lot of detail in your scene and your AA level is too low.

There are a few solutions:

- Raise the AA level.
- Motion blur.
- If you're using procedurals for bump, make a gradient with a distance to camera.
- Render bigger size and scale it down afterwards.
- DOF.
- ... ?