PDA

View Full Version : Any expert in overclocking here?

Mitja
05-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Yep, you got it. This thread is about overclocking!
A friend of mine, under my advice, bought some new components for his PC: at first, he (we) wanted to buy just some more ram: ddr pc3200 :thumbsdow . As you know it's old, too sloww (I said to him), so we went to the shop and took a CPU, mobo, ram, graphics card and HDD.
Here are the specs:
-AMD 5200+ @2700MHz
-mobo ASUS M3A
-ram Kingstone 2x1GB DDR2 1066MHz
-peak geforce 8600gt 1GB ddr2

-I would like to overclock it a bit, especially the 8600gt: how to do that? Anyone has experience in doing this?
-What freq can I reach with the cpu and how?

Shortly, I need some advice to do this dirt job!
Thanks

Mitja
05-07-2008, 07:45 AM
I googled already but since the pc is not mine, I would like to be 100% sure of what I'm doing. I also asked in an talian hardware forum, but here, I receive more feedback.

I would like to keep the standard fan: ow the cpu temp is about 45C, I found on the net to keep it below 75-80.

As for the graphics card: I now 1GB is completely thrown away and that ddr2 is not ddr3, but my friend had a certain budget, and there wasn't other cards for that price/performance ratio (it was 80E). It was something like: I want it, and I want it now!
Anyway, we tryed COD4 and it runs fluidly with everything setted on "best" @1360x768 (he has a LCD screen HD-ready), though I don't know how many fps, I have to check it.

Also, I read that with AMD cpu's you have many settings to work with, so help would be really appreciated. I really don't want to blow everyting up!

Eugeny
05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Tom'shardware have some beginners guides for overclocking as well as overclocking graphic cards.