PDA

View Full Version : Graph Editor troubles

jigglywigglybum
05-07-2008, 03:02 AM
I'm quite new to Lightwave and struggling very much with it. I am making a walk cycle and I need to know how to use the graph editor to make it a continuous cycle for about 22 steps.

JBT27
05-07-2008, 06:51 AM
You animate just one cycle then allow it to repeat using Pre and Post Behaviour in the Graph Editor.

William Vaughan did a good basic walk-cycle tutorial which you can find here:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Walk.mov

Julian.

jigglywigglybum
05-07-2008, 03:10 PM
that link wouldn't work for me. would you be able to explain how to do it? it's for my final assessment at uni. due in on friday. think im gonna fail my whole degree coz of it anyway but any help you can give me would be great.

JBT27
05-08-2008, 01:58 AM
The movie is here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

A listing of all the tutorials by William Vaughan - scroll down until you find a section on Character Animation and then find the movie 'Animating a basic walk cycle'.

If you right-click and 'Save Target As...' from the first link I gave you, that might have worked - try that anyway.

This movie will help more than me explaining it here :)

Julian.

jigglywigglybum
05-08-2008, 04:03 AM
that didn't say anything about pre and post behaviours

JBT27
05-08-2008, 05:40 AM
Well OK - I thought it did - one of them does.

Right, so simply then, a post behaviour causes a group of keyframes to repeat, or oscillate, or remain constant as of the last keyframe of the group.

Try it.

Create a Null, or use the Camera, doesn't matter - set three keyframes on just one axis.

So on X, say, set a keyframe at frame 1 to be 1m, another at frame 10 to be 0m, then a third at frame 20 to be 2m. Right click drag around all the keyframes then select each option in the Post Behaviour menu and watch what happens.

With a walk cycle, you animate one cycle, that ends where it started, then do the above on that to have the cycle repeat.

Julian.