PDA

View Full Version : Blur escene. ?

Batman_cond
05-06-2008, 01:43 PM
how to make an effect of blur (simulate depth of field) ? on LiveFX

Gordon
05-07-2008, 08:32 AM
You would have to build your own set with this effect beforehand.

To simulate the DOF, I would leave the wide shot with everything in focus, the medium shot with a slight blur on the background (behind the desk) layers and quite a bit more blur when on a tighter close up. In Aura/Mirage/TVPaint, the blur operators (FX layers) work on the currently selected image(s).

joseburgos
05-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Gordon,
You are able to blur an input to a liveset?
I ask because I have tried in the past and have not been able to.
Yes it blurs in AUra/Mirage but the generated LiveSet does not blur in VT and sometimes gives a weird effect.
If you have, can you please share how to do this please?

Thanks in advance,

Gordon
05-07-2008, 03:24 PM
You are able to blur an input to a liveset?
Maybe I misunderstood the first question.

I thought the person wanted a depth of field effect by putting the background out of focus and leaving the talent focused. I assume by your question that you want to blur the talent and have the background remain focused?

I don't know of a way to blur the talent on a live set. Nor have I tried more than one talent on a set, but then you would get DOF by nature of camera placement, and controlling focal length anyhow and wouldn't need to rely on digital magic.

IOW, no I don't know how to blur the "input" only the background images.

joseburgos
05-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Ah ok, thought I missed a trick there :)
And by background you mean the what is built into the set it self.
A LiveSet input can be more the "input" name.
The Effects, DSK, Preview and Program can all be inputs to a set.
So a DSK could be the background and still not be able to be blurred.

I have tried every trick I know to blur an input with no success :(

Take care,

Gordon
05-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Oh, now I see the problem. It doesn't do much good to blur the LCD panel frame if the picture in the panel is still sharp. Thanks for explaining that Jose.

Aura may not be the tool for this. LightWave on the other hand should be able to adjust depth of field just in the LightWave camera. Have you tried LightWave for this?

joseburgos
05-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Yes and it does not work either.
That is why I was so excitted when I thought you found a way :)

Take care,

John Perkins
05-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Someone try this trick, I'm pretty sure it will work.

Make a small < 256x256 gradient brush and stamp it down. The smaller your original is, the more this should blur.
Pick it up again as a new brush.
Scale up that brush to the size you need but turn OFF antialiasing. You want to do a really rough job of scaling.
Stamp it down where you need it.
Clean up the edges so that they are not all jagged (if needed).

It should work because of how I do a smart blur to smooth out drastically scaled inputs. The more colors that are missing from the gradient, the more blur I apply.

If you don't stamp it down and pick it up again, this won't work because it still remembers the original full gradient even after multiple scaling operations.

The Aura plugin v2 will have adjustable X/Y blur factors when it's released but this might help in the meantime.

Good luck.

joseburgos
05-08-2008, 02:49 PM
This did not work.
That is twice I got excited for nothing :(

I made a brush of 50 width, stamped it and picked it back up. I then sized it to 600 with AA off. Stamped it down (in Aura, it looks ugly and blured).
Generated a LiveSet and no dice.

joseburgos
05-08-2008, 02:53 PM
And I learned something new when testing this.
If you make a LiveSet with just two layers, FX and Input, and they do not fill the screen, whatever LiveSet was used before, will apear in the background.

Not cool,

John Perkins
05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Man, sorry about that, I was almost certain that it would trick it into a blur.

The new version is not far off at all though.

It depends on what you're trying to do Jose. If you want it to redraw the screen, make sure you give it a background. Technically it was told not to redraw that part of the screen.

If you want to be all trippy, give it just one Input layer and enable LiveMatte on it, then export the LiveSet.

You'll get trails when the person moves. Really strange effects depending on how you set the key.

There was some trick with opacity and trail length, but I can't remember what it was now...