PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Origin in Modeler

czesiu
07-23-2003, 05:43 AM
I found that in Modeler it is impossible to get "temporary local origin/center" as I call it.

Let say that you have created a long pipe and you want to work with the one of its end but you do not want to move it in space because you want it to mach other details of the construction.

For that mater you would need to could create "temporary local origin/center" to rotate the around it.
The "temporary local origin/center" would be placed somwhere at the particular end of pipe.
Not as it is now at the World Origin.

I tried to work with such object and as soon as I was about to rotate about the pipe end I worked with, it just dissappeared from the Viewport. I had to look for it somwhere in the space, then drag it back in front of my Viewport. This movements I had to repeat many, many times untill I get the object in right position to process it.
Then to do next changes to the particular end of pipe I had to repeat the awkward process.
After beeing working with the object for some time I get so tired and irritated.

Thus I write here.
It would be great to could decide "temporary local origin/center" anywhere in Modeler depending on where in space you want to work, I could be as easy as to change Pivot point.
It could for example work like that.

Menu: Detail - Layers - TempOrg (temporary Origin)
Then you cold place/move the point of TempOrg in exactly the same way as the Pivot works. Finaly click with LMB or RMB in some Viewport to accept the placement of TempOrg for that time.

Simple and convienient.

Cheers
pawel c

evenflcw
07-23-2003, 07:58 AM
I acctually had a simular idea the other day. But I was thinking more in the line of a manipulable action center that would always be active and can be moved around at any time just as easily as you can the pivotpoint. If it could be rotated aswell that would give a sort of construction plane functionality too.

Having it work as a tool which require confirmation seems to tedious to me and not really necessary imo. Instead LMB click-and-hold directly on it to drag it, and a RMB click-and-hold directly on it to rotate it (with snapping to polygon normals, points and center of selections). If you click anywhere else in the viewports, whatever tool you might have active at the time will work as usual, LMB for manipulation, and RMB for confirmation, but obviously working with the "live" action center as center.

czesiu
07-23-2003, 08:18 AM
I agree with that. Yet better improvement would it be to also could reset th World Origin so you could see the objec wher it was created and according to that you place the Pivot point in Object.

The other thing that also would be great is the ability to center object on the temporary Origin as well on World Origin.

Cheers
pawel c

sailor
07-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Pawel,

wouldnt that be the same that creating a user defined construction plane? u can select a poly or 3 points and define a new coordinate system...u could then define as many coordinate system as you want and switch between them ?

czesiu
07-23-2003, 03:24 PM
To Sailor,

Not it woudn't be the same bacause the coordinate system is the same to the whole space.
The only thing that would happend is that the Numeric window would show each and single points position at the time you select it.

Then when you move it the new position, the data would be juast stored and showed just for that particular point as long as it is selected.
If you then would edit another point and then go back to the previous one. After you select it the last position would appear inthe Numeric window so you could see where in space it is, as you left it last time. And you could start again.

Hope it was not to confuse since that stuff is sometimes a little bit tricky to explaine.

Cheers
pawel c

digefxgrp
07-24-2003, 03:22 AM
Pawel,

If I’m reading your first post correctly, you can already do what you’re asking.

I’ll use your pipe example.

First select the polygon at one end of your pipe (it also will work with points).
Use the Center Pivot command to center the pivot to the selected poly (or points).
Change your Action Center to: Pivot
Now you will be able to rotate or scale (or whatever) your tube around that end.

I move the layer pivot around all the time as a “temporary local origin” to modify geometry from.

You can also use Al Streets “Mocotrans” plugin to interactively move, rotate, and scale along a User-defined axis (or control-plane). The axis is based on a 3-point plane selection. To me this is a "must have" plugin.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking.

czesiu
07-24-2003, 05:14 AM
To digefxgrp,

I appreciate yuor halp but I think you mean to Center Pivot command in Layout.
What I am looking for is actualy not a Temprary Pivot point. Thus because the Pivot point is the point that is "Center" of position, rotation and scaling for the object/s.

I will try to explain it to you here below:

1.I am asking for Temporary Origin lets call it TempOrg in Modelers - Perspective View.

2.Normaly Origin is some point in space which we agreed that will be our Orogin and this also mean
X = 0
Y = 0
Z = 0
LW has its own Origin and that is not matter where it is.

3. I want to create a TempOrg wherever in space I need it and then let the LW to treat that point as my TempOrg.

4. Remember not TmpOrg has nothing with Pivot point to do.

5. This mean that all rotations of SPACE in Perspective View will take place around that point.

6. This TempOrg point will be resetable to the Real Origin, X = 0, Y = 0, Z = 0, point wherever you need to let you rotate the Perspective View space.

7. it would also be ood to have some crosed colored lines in Modeler which would mark the Origin.
Simply because it is good to see where is the Origin point and where your object/s is/are in relation to the Origin.

8. The reasons to why I want to have TempOrg are:
- Often when I work I need to see what happend after some processing of the object.
- In such situation I Rotate or Move the space in Perspective View to see what I did and how it looks.
- As it is now when I rotate the space in Perspective View, it rotates around the Real Origin, X = 0, Y = 0, Z = 0, point.
- This makes the important for me part of an object to literally fly a way, when in high zoom, that causes a troublesome placing the particular part in front of view after each rotation.
Each time you want to rotate the object, you have to compensate the rotation with the move of the space in some direction, tiresome.

Cheers
Pawel c

evenflcw
07-24-2003, 06:56 AM
Hmm... I just realized I might have missunderstood the whole purpose of this thread. (So what's new!?)

Pawel, am I correct in my assumption that your primary reason for the TempOrg is better control of viewing and not as a modeling tool which I was japping about earlier in the thread?

Are you aware of shift+A (Fit Selected)? It will zone in on whatever geometry you select and revovle the view around it, which is pretty close to how I read your request this time around. Only thing missing is the marker itself. As such I don't feel there is a lack of control of the view myself (except that there is no camera matching, but thats another issue).

Sorry for continually screwing up your requests with my own wishes, Pawel. If you ever feel you wanna chat LW in swedish my email is [email protected] I promise to read them twice before answering :D

czesiu
07-24-2003, 12:44 PM
To evenflcw,

Yes, Yes, that is what I was missing.
Thanks a lot for that, you have just make me a great favour.
I owe you one.

You do not have to be sorry for anything, we all want and request different things and that is good.
What is bad, is when folks out there are stisfied what ever they got, and only critisize others requests.
I have meet in forum some of that kind and this is not not fun, believe me.

Cheers
pawel c:)