PDA

View Full Version : Concept "1" (light behavior testing)

minus
02-22-2003, 04:53 PM
I little picky pic. Modeled mainly with the intent to see how light would behave in such an arangement. Obviously not complex in modeling..... (about 10 minutes actually)... but I still liked the end feel of it all.
http://www.opnotic.com/wip/radtest/stagger_rad640.jpg

Castius
02-22-2003, 05:03 PM
I like it alot. got any detail render times settings.

minus
02-22-2003, 05:03 PM
The above pic used one distant light for lighting..
Not to post a whole portfolio... but here are some pics I did recently all in the vein of experimenting with interior radiosity light behavior.
Another..
http://www.opnotic.com/wip/radtest/bonsai_shadow.jpg
One bounce used on that one...though an Area light was also used over the windows to give "secondary" shadows to the objects in the scene.
And one more...
http://www.opnotic.com/wip/radtest/rackroombluegreen.jpg
That scene used 2 bounces for rendering... I liked how the lighting has a soft subtle illuminance on the walls here.

minus
02-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Rendertimes....
Info on my standard setup. I'll often use monte-carlo radiosity... with rays set at 4X12 or sometimes 5X15. I have shading noise reduction set to "on".
Camera settings...
Enhanced Medium AA... with adaptive sampling turned "off". This forces a complete re-render of the entire scene for each pass. (9 passes). On each pass having your rays set that low.... you do get some spotting... but with each pass...the spots are all in different places... in the end... LW "comps" the images all together so that the "spots" end up all smothing out in the end. My test renders are rendered with Low AA still with adaptive sampling turned off.. and rays set at 2X6... and usually a frame size of 320X240 my bounces are still set to 2. That is all that is needed so I can see how the light will behave... and on the top image for example... render times are around 2.5 minutes. When it is bed-time.... I jump upto about 1024X768 rendering... leave bounces still at "2" (higher bounces are too subtle for the render times) and kick up the AA and rays per evaluation. Then about 5.5 hours later.... The pick is done.
My machine is a dual AMD 2000 system. Multiple processors are used very nicely in radiosity rendering... I find infact... almost twice the speed versus a single processor system. That is some very efficient multi-threading going on in the render engine.

Demon
02-22-2003, 06:07 PM
very nice lighting. lighting is the most tricky thing in 3d grafix. well, enviromental lighting got easy in lw tho :) keep on going man, u r getting the hang of it :) nice pics

marble_sheep
02-23-2003, 12:43 AM
Very nice. Lighting is something I've been trying to experiement with lately, there are so many nuances. It's pretty amazing how the right lighting can make even a simple model look like it is real. Keep up the good work, man. Got any more to share?

Simon
02-23-2003, 03:53 AM
I've seen these before somewhere, I like them a lot, especially the bottom one. Did you keep the radiosity intensity at 100%? ... I'm asking because there seems to be a little too much yellow on the ceiling above the couch in the second one, or is that the extra bounce doing that? Good work ....

minus
03-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Yea there is an extra bounce that would make that yellow show up.... though I believe on that one aswell I had a radiosity intensity setting that was very high aswell. Maybe even in the 300% range. It shows up as something out of control especially "under" the yellow couch. When playing with that yellow material later in other radiosity settings... it always sprayed to much. It could just be a color not physically possible.. :D Anyway later I had to actually make the bottom of that couch black in the middle to keep that crazy yellow color spray down.