PDA

View Full Version : How do you animated one object 'morphing' into another!?

acetrace84
05-06-2008, 03:43 AM
Hi,

I've been asked by someone to create an animated effect that shows a piece of paper, animating into a cruched up piece of paper and then into another shape (i.e: a Car) that looks like it's been folded from the paper. It will then cruch up again and animate into another shape. I've been scouring for tutorials but can't seem to find anything that will help me.

I was hoping that I would be able to create all these objects individually. And then create a generic transition that would give the impression of them being 'crumpled'. Does anyone know if this is possible and, if so, how on earth I would manage this? I'm quite a newbie when it comes to animating more than just basic movement.

Any help from anyone would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Trace

JohnMarchant
05-06-2008, 04:00 AM
Thats a tall order there. I would split it up into separate morphs. Dont forget morphs and the targets must have the same amount of points and polys as each other. Take a subdivided flat plane create a morph target then bend pull twist whatever to get the plane to the crunched up state you want.

Now the tricky part is to take it to the car morph. I would do this using the subdivided plane again, create another morph and bend the paper to the car shape.

In layout use morph mixer to bend between the 3 basic shapes. Flat, crunched up and car. It will take a bit of experiment but you hardest part is going to be getting the car shape from the paper.

You could maybe reverse it and start with a car and flatten it out then crunch that up, then us morph mixer to go between the 3 stages.

Have not done it for a bit but i used a combination of this and particles for a stargate kawoosh sequence once.

Regards, John

Surrealist.
05-06-2008, 04:22 AM
Welcome to the forum. For future reference this should probably go in the Tips and tricks section.

Just some basics to get you oriented as to what you will have to work around:

1) Morphs should be derived from the same object. So you have to create one object and then change it to another shape and use this object throughout the process.

2) You can create Endomorphs in Modeler as a vertex map in the same object layer using the M button and/or the Map tab, or you can create morphs in Layout between separate objects and/or layers. Either way #1 applies.

3) You can also use displacements to change the shape of an object. In the case of displacements you are actually adding geometry if you use a subpatch object and you control the detail by the render subpatch level.

4) Cloth dynamics can be used to ralax an object to an uncrumpled or formed shape. It is a pretty powerful way to do this.

5) Save trans object is a way to save an object that has been deformed in some way in layout. This is a great tool to transition between one effect and another effect.

An example of this would be to use the end frame of one effect, save trans and then use that transformed object as the start point of another effect such as a new set of morphs, bones cloth dynamics whatever.

You could edit a string of effects together in this way in your NLE.

pooby
05-06-2008, 04:46 AM
I would suggest a 'creative' option of having the paper jump or spin between crunches, In which case you can hide all manner of model swapping.
Doing this slowly and smoothly so you can see what's going on will be a complete nightmare.

acetrace84
05-06-2008, 05:21 AM
This is all sounds just what I'm after. But i've no idea how to actually do the morphs. If anyone knows of a tutorial or some kind of a guide available that would be a huge help.

Thanks again,

Trace

richdj
05-06-2008, 05:32 AM
There should be some at http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm
also, check my links page - http://www.3dthunder.com/links.html#tutorials
and I you might like to check my multimorph tutes - http://www.3dthunder.com/tutorials.html - which might be of use..

Rich

Surrealist.
05-06-2008, 05:43 AM
I would suggest a 'creative' option of having the paper jump or spin between crunches, In which case you can hide all manner of model swapping.
Doing this slowly and smoothly so you can see what's going on will be a complete nightmare.

This suggestion is excellent because it uses one simple idea of cutting on action. You can swap an object on action too. That is a brilliant idea.

Cutting on action is a very basic filmmaking tool.

I think more 3D generalists could use a course or two in filmmaking and editing. :)

Dirk
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM
If it has to be in one shoot, and You cannot hide the transitions somehow, try to work "backwards": start with the car (the most complex object), and use this object to create a piece of paper from it.

SplineGod
05-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Trace,
You might find this useful. :)
http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/displacements_II.php

evolross
05-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I may be dealing with a similar issue. A client wants a 3D character to morph into another character, then a bowling pin, then maybe something else. I was thinking of doing the spin, blur, cut trick.

Another idea is maybe having an in between blob transition state that is common between all objects. Then each separate object could morph to that, then the morphs could be seamless with not blur/cut trick. But then you have this common state always occurring between morphs.

On a side note: Does anyone know a good sub-d tutorial for modeling something real that isn't just a box with a hole in it, but is less complex than car. I'm looking for a sub-d tutorial that could should you how to model a toaster, or a computer monitor, or something like that. (No paper clips or cell phones please).

Thanks!

Surrealist.
05-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Evelross, in case you are interested, I started a new thread here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=696592#post696592).

Just basically a workshop for Sub-d. Post your request, ask some questions etc.