PDA

View Full Version : How can I import "mov" files in to VT3???

Martien
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Hello,

I use VT3.
With the camera's of today with harddisk recording VT3 don't recognise the file format (mov...) (not apple).
Is there a way to let VT3 work with this file format?

Thanks,

Gr,

Martien. (Netherlands)

UnCommonGrafx
05-05-2008, 08:00 PM
by converting them to avis or update to vt5

bbeanan
05-05-2008, 09:47 PM
You beat me to it Robert mine was going to go more like this...

Call your Newtek Dealer and buy a VT5 upgrade and all will be fine...

SBowie
05-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Hmmm ...

I would not want to automatically assume VT[5] can open every type of Quicktime file. What cameras record .movs? What flavour of .mov?

UnCommonGrafx
05-06-2008, 06:38 AM
Steve,
I didn't feel like touching that portion of the formula. That, plus the update is supposed to be improved...
But, of course, you would be better versed than I.

So... what Steve said, too.

Jim_C
05-06-2008, 06:53 AM
$30 Quicktime Upgrade > $1500 VT5 Upgrade.

:)

SBowie
05-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I understand Robert - I am just reluctant to make assumptions that involve a significant outlay of $$. It would be pretty simple to confirm on the basis of the current VY[5] release, at least, if we we knew what format to test. Most AVI's, of course, would be a fairly safe bet.

bbeanan
05-06-2008, 08:33 AM
ok then... post a quick 10 sec. clip of the .mov you have and I will try it on my VT-5 and SpeedEdit and let you know... it could be just buy SpeedEdit...

Granted the other day I put a MOV file on my timeline (it was a Digital Juice) and while it played back and everything, it was slow.... so I converted it to and avi and all was better... (used SE to do the conversion)

ScorpioProd
05-06-2008, 11:57 AM
plus the update is supposed to be improved...
Well... VT[5] and SpeedEDIT 1.5.1 have some improvements in QT support, such as alpha channel, for instance, and some different flavors, but the bigger improvement in QT support doesn't come till SpeedEDIT 1.8 later this year, with QT support by actually using Apple's QT.

UnCommonGrafx
05-06-2008, 04:08 PM
You ShowBoys know it all.
;_)

I'm gonna be a ShowBoy again next year...
heha

Glad to see there's a discussion of a 1.8 for us 1.0 adopters that will knock out a few issues from the past. Good prep for nextGen...

ScorpioProd
05-06-2008, 05:12 PM
It'll have the stuff that Jim Plant mentioned in his 20 questions.

A good set of stuff for a free update. :thumbsup:

But I'm still hoping for a lot more in SpeedEDIT 2.0 next year.

Though till then, lack of XDCAM HD support makes SpeedEDIT not a NLE I can use much longer as I transition my business to more and more XDCAM HD.

NAB is fun, but as of right now, I don't see myself going next year.

Martien
05-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the reactions.

Can speededit in combination with VT3 do the trick?

bbeanan
05-06-2008, 07:21 PM
oh Eugene you know you will go next year stop kidding yourself....

ScorpioProd
05-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Well... I expect to be producing a musical at my college next spring that is up the two weekends around NAB...

This did happen two years ago as well, and like any good theater producer, I flew away to Vegas at the end of opening weekend and back before closing weekend...

So it is possible, but not a full week like this year, so I'm not sure it would be worth doing. In the past I haven't found just a few days there to be enough to be worthwhile.

Plus, though I found a number of interesting products this year, as I've said in my reviews, it was an evolutionary show this year, not a revolutionary one.

And NAB can claim all they want, but the number of "registered" attendees doesn't match what I saw for the number of actual attendees.

It'll also be interesting to see what companies are and are not there next year.