PDA

View Full Version : DivX for LW64bit.....does anyone else want Divx to go 64bit NOW???

Cougar12dk
05-05-2008, 03:50 PM
For quite a while I've been trying to come up with a way to render divx animations from withIN Lightwave 64bit. IE. I don't want to have to use VDub or any other external program to convert to Divx.

Does anyone else feel this way? I mean, I find it really horrible that the DivX gang won't go 64bit, just because THEY don't see a need for it.

So I suggest we do a poll to gather votes and support for a DIVX for 64 from the LW community and send it to the DIVX staff.

mikala
05-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I say they need to as I need it. I hate doing seq renders if I don't have to.
It takes a step out for me and the other thing is that I can play them out on my dvd player.

kosmodave
05-05-2008, 10:58 PM
:agree:, also we could do with a lot of other CoDecs in 64bit as well. and for that matter I would like to see Pictrix and other plugins in 64bit versions too. Only just moved to Vista64 and already hate having to swap back and forth between LW 32 and LW64 to access my favorite tools.
Dave.

Cougar12dk
05-06-2008, 01:21 AM
I couldn't agree more Dave. Rendering in LW 32 is terribly slow compared to LW 64. And once one's gotten accustomed to the faster redndering of LW 64, I can't be arsed to really use LW 32 any longer.

Cougar12dk
05-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Come on people, please vote!!! I'm pretty sure the folks at Divx won't give rats if just a few votes in favuor...... Please help

Silkrooster
05-18-2008, 09:52 PM
You forgot an option. Don't want nor need Divx.
Silk

mikala
05-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Ah another helpful hand.

jaf
05-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Seems inevitable to me that 64 bit applications and operataing systems will become the "norm" in the future.

I remember the old argument that "word processors just operate on 8 bits, so there's no need for 16 bit support."

My introduction to computers was around 1970 on a Bi-Tran-6. It had 128 6-bit bytes of memory! How things have changed!

Cougar12dk
05-18-2008, 11:18 PM
@Silk: Since this is about wanting a 64bit version or not, there is little point of having that option there.

Silkrooster
05-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Point taken...
Silk

Cougar12dk
05-20-2008, 12:17 AM
I just got this email from Dan Brown at DivX:

Dear Steen-

DivX certainly recognizes the need to have our software work with 64 bit systems in the future. Our codec itself, is actually capable if 64 bit systems. It is just our software (converter, player, etc) that is not ready for 64 bit use.

As far as lightwave goes, I have actually talked with their customer support recently about various issues with lightwave and divx. We are not certain whether the problem lies with them or us, but we are working to find a solution.

Regards,

DivX Support Team

And the link to the thread: http://support.divx.com/cgi-bin/divx.cfg/php/enduser/myq_idp.php?p_sid=umjsIa4j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=&p_li=&p_iid=1210373&p_created=1211013651&p_allorg=

danielkaiser
05-20-2008, 12:30 AM
And Apple needs to get on the stick with QT.

Captain Obvious
05-20-2008, 03:16 AM
Divx isn't great anyway, so why would I care? There are better formats to choose from.

JamesCurtis
05-20-2008, 06:30 AM
The Divx format is nice [expecially compared to some .flv's - Flash Video - I've seen] but most users of the codec and software seemed to use it to make conversions of existing movies, shorts, etc. which in turn were posted on the Divx Stage 6 site. Now that the Stage 6 site has been shut down, there doesn't seem to be much of a point for Divx in general ATM.

Have to say, I have the same capability to see Divx on my DVD player as well, and do like that aspect. Though I wonder, if it was 64bit, wouldn't those same players need to be updated to understand the 64bit coding?

I do not currently have a 64bit system, but will sometime.

Cougar12dk
05-20-2008, 07:00 AM
I bought my current DVD player for it supposed Divx capability, but I haven't been able to get it to play a single Divx file yet.

JamesCurtis
05-20-2008, 07:13 AM
Don't know if this may be the reason or not but...

Most DVD players will not play a Divx file that has a resolution above 720 x 480, I believe. It would have to support Divx Ultra to do any higher "HD" res.

What player do you have?

My player is a Pioneer DV400. Have had it for about a year now. It also plays .avi's and .wmv's.

If your player is indeed Divx Certified, it should play the regular [non HD] Divx files. If it doesn't play them and has the certification, then get another one.

Have to say, I really wish that it could play Quicktimes, but I don't think there is a single player in existence that does that!!

The Dommo
05-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Yes but Quicktime sucks big time. We can't understand how it became an industry standard, when half the codecs are so shoddy in quality, slow to encode, and such a nightmare of a player which crashes so often.

Nasty, nasty piece of Apple tripe.

Cougar12dk
05-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Don't know if this may be the reason or not but...

Most DVD players will not play a Divx file that has a resolution above 720 x 480, I believe. It would have to support Divx Ultra to do any higher "HD" res.

What player do you have?

My player is a Pioneer DV400. Have had it for about a year now. It also plays .avi's and .wmv's.

If your player is indeed Divx Certified, it should play the regular [non HD] Divx files. If it doesn't play them and has the certification, then get another one.

Have to say, I really wish that it could play Quicktimes, but I don't think there is a single player in existence that does that!!

The player I bought is a Phillips DVP3142. It says in the manual that it will play Divx, but I can't find any details regarding any specifics on resolution. It's definately not HD. And you can be sure, if I get another, I'm getting a BluRay player instead ;) I no longer give a toss about getting DivX to play on my DVD-player.

mikala
05-20-2008, 11:42 AM
My dvd/divx player plays all my divx encoded stuff. At least out of my 32 bit system.

JamesCurtis
05-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I do agree, my next step will be Blu-ray also, but the divx option has been nice [and still is] to not have to author a DVD for tests of my clients projects on a TV or LCD HDTV. Besides, I'm not sure you can easily author a Blu-ray disk right now anyway - and blank discs are rather expensive.

And I do wonder if your issues have anything to do with 32 and/or 64 bit system problems or limitations.

slightlyoffbeat
05-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Cougar12dk brought my attention to this thread.

Our latest product from DivX, DivX Connected, is supported for 64 bit systems. I understand this doesn't help you out, but it does show that we are moving towards supporting 64 bit systems. If anyone is having issues with our pro bundle and 64 bit systems, let me know as I have a few fixes for that.

As far as DivX Certified devices go, it does not matter if you encoded on a 64 bit, or a 32 bit. As long as they do not exceed the maximum resolution, they should play back on any DivX Certified device.

Also, for those looking at blu-ray and still want DivX Playback, there are actually DivX Certified Blu-Ray players coming out. (http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/divx-continues-momentum-in-blu-ray,398932.shtml)

If you have any issues with certified devices, etc, feel free to write about it here (http://support.divx.com/cgi-bin/divx.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php). I or another divx rep will be more than happy to help you out.

OK, so as far as newtek products go, can you elaborate on the issues you are having? Error messages, settings, exact steps to reproduce etc. Our engineers and QA are always looking to improve the use of the DivX Codec with other products. If I can get enough information I will most certainly pass it on and see if we can find a solution.

[dan]

Cougar12dk
05-21-2008, 01:00 AM
The problem I'm experiencing is, that whenever I go to select the encoding format in 64bit LW, DivX isn't on the list of options. But if I switch to 32bit LW, there it is, along with a multitude of other video:

LW32 LW64
4x StoryBoard 4x Storyboard
AVI (.avi) AVI (.avi)
DirectShow (.avi) DirectShow (.avi)
Film Expand Film Expand
Quicktime (.mov) Storyboard
QT VR object Flexible Float (.flx)
QT Stereo Flexible Integer (.flx)
Storyboard
Flexible Float (.flx)
Flexible Integer (.flx)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft RLE Microsoft RLE
MS Video 1 MS Video1
Intel IYUV Codec Intel IYUV Codec
Cinepak codec after Radius Lagarith Lossless codec
Techsmith Screen capture codec Full Frames (uncompressed)
XviD MPEG-4 codec
DivX 6.8.2 codec
DivX 6.8.2 YV12 Decoder
Fraps Video Decompressor
Full Frames

Cougar12dk
05-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Damned edit limit!!!!!!

LW64 Codecs:

Microsoft RLE
MS Video 1
Intel IYUV codec
Lagarith lossless codec
Full Frames

Types (64bit)

4X Storyboard
AVI (.avi)
DirectShow (.avi)
Film Expand
Storyboard
Flex Float (.flx)
Flex integer (.flx)

LW32 codecs

MS RLE
MS Video 1
Intel IYUV codec
Cinepak codec after Radius
TechSmith screen capture codec
XviD MPEG-4 codec
DivX 6.8.2 codec
DivX 6.8.2 codec YV12 Decoder
Fraps video Decompressor

Types

4x storyboard
AVI (.avi)
Directshow (.avi)
Fim Expand
QT (.mov
QT VR Object
QT Stereo
Storyboard
Flex Float (.flx)
Flex Integer (.flx)

Red_Oddity
05-21-2008, 02:46 AM
The problem I'm experiencing is, that whenever I go to select the encoding format in 64bit LW, DivX isn't on the list of options. But if I switch to 32bit LW, there it is, along with a multitude of other video:

LW32 LW64
4x StoryBoard 4x Storyboard
AVI (.avi) AVI (.avi)
DirectShow (.avi) DirectShow (.avi)
Film Expand Film Expand
Quicktime (.mov) Storyboard
QT VR object Flexible Float (.flx)
QT Stereo Flexible Integer (.flx)
Storyboard
Flexible Float (.flx)
Flexible Integer (.flx)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft RLE Microsoft RLE
MS Video 1 MS Video1
Intel IYUV Codec Intel IYUV Codec
Cinepak codec after Radius Lagarith Lossless codec
Techsmith Screen capture codec Full Frames (uncompressed)
XviD MPEG-4 codec
DivX 6.8.2 codec
DivX 6.8.2 YV12 Decoder
Fraps Video Decompressor
Full Frames

Which is compeletly logical and will happen in ANY 64bit vs 32bit program (Maya, XSI, Max, etc, included) as a 64bit program needs a 64bit compiled codec version.

Cougar12dk
05-21-2008, 02:50 AM
I'm not saying that the other apps have a 64bit version.
I'm merely listing the codecs I have in 32- and 64bit to compare which codecs and format are 64bit ready.

Red_Oddity
05-21-2008, 07:34 AM
aah, sorry, but some people still seem confused as to why their codecs are 'missing' or 'don't show up' in their 64bit program.

Cougar12dk
05-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Yes.... it was a stressful time for me.

Glad it's a time gone...LONG gone :);)

Cougar12dk
07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
That's not to say the problem of a 64bit Divx has been solved. Nononononono...... keep voting guys...please.