PDA

View Full Version : Radiosity - problem with textures

scottn
07-23-2003, 04:00 AM
I rendered a scene using radiosity, the scene is made up of a couple of flat planes put together to create a corner where a floor meets two walls. The wall planes have a concrete texture mapped onto them. When I render the scene using radiosity I get a funny moire pattern on one of the walls. If I up the rays per evaluation for the radiosity the problem seems to go away. When rendered without radiosity, there is no problem at all. Any help, facts suggestions?

Neil_Campbell
07-23-2003, 05:35 AM
Could you post a picture? Is it a regular Moire pattern, or something more random?

scottn
07-23-2003, 06:11 AM
I will post a pic asap - but the Moire pattern is quite random I would say, there is no small repetive pattern to it, it is more like a collection of organic swirls in the texture.

Neil_Campbell
07-23-2003, 06:20 AM
When you post the picture, can you also do a screen grab of the Global Illumination panel so we can see how you've set up the radiosity sampling

richpr
07-23-2003, 03:14 PM
Sounds like your seeing the sampling of radiosity... little mixed circles/globes...

scottn
07-25-2003, 12:36 AM
Here are the pics, sorry - didn't take a snap shot of the global illumination panel. I don't e-mail from home, this is my work PC. Anyway I will attach 3 pics, the first being the one with the problem, the next is the same pic with higher rays per evaluation - it seems to have solved the problem. The third pic is the same scene but I have tried to bake the radiosity, but for some reason it has not worked out properly on the walls. Any suggestions as to why? Thanks for the help everyone.

scottn
07-25-2003, 12:37 AM
here is pic no. 2

scottn
07-25-2003, 12:43 AM
Oops! put the first two pics in the wrong order, but I'm sure it's obvious which one is the problem. Here is the one with baked radiosity. Why isn't the radiosity baked properly on the walls. I followed steps from a tutorial very closely so I am fairly certain that my technique is OK.

riki
07-25-2003, 01:09 AM
I think you answerred the first question yourself. ie "higher rays per evaluation". I'm not sure about the second problem.

scottn
07-25-2003, 01:18 AM
Hey Riki

Your icon - is that a fishing rod in the background? If so, what kind of fishing do you do? I see you are from Australia. I'm South African, do a bit of fishing myself, I hear there is good fishing in Australia. Boy did we sure give you guys a whipping in the rugby a few weeks ago (must have been the first time in years though).

Whats the 3D industry like in Australia? It's quite small at the moment in S A, but growing rapidly.

riki
07-25-2003, 01:55 AM
Hi Scott, that photo was taken a few months ago in Japan, I had the sun in my eyes and couldn't see. It was on a lunch cruise so I think the thing in the BG is just part of the boat.

No no I don't get out much to do any fishing, too many disturbig childhood memories :) Deserted on tropical islands, that sort of thing.

I'm doing a website next week for an Austrlian 3DCG company called Soma-CG re: http://www.soma-cg.com/

But I'm not really up-to speed with the industry in general. I seem to etch out a living for myself though.

scottn
07-25-2003, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the link