PDA

View Full Version : CC Subpatches: What are they?????

swingrays
05-04-2008, 08:29 PM
I've read about these in a guitar thread, but what are they??? How can you use them?? Is there a link someone has to a tutorial?? Thanks guys!

swing

SplineGod
05-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Theyre an alternative method for subdivision surfaces. You can use polys with greater then 4 sides (ngons). They also support edge weighting rather then point weighting with standard subpatches. They do subdivide out to a lot more polys then standard subpatches so youll need to use lower subpatch levels.

JeffrySG
05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
CC are a form of Subdivision Surfaces.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdivision_surface

They are similar to LW standard Subpatch objects. You can subdivide n-gons with CC subd as compared to only tris and quads with subpatch objects. There is tons of info around here and on the net depending on how much info you really want to know.

www.subdivisionmodeling.com is a great site as well for info.

JeffrySG
05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
lol, Larry beat me to it.... :)

Surrealist.
05-05-2008, 05:16 AM
I've read about these in a guitar thread, but what are they??? How can you use them?? Is there a link someone has to a tutorial?? Thanks guys!

swing

Also look at the very first part of my tutorial I go into the mathematical differences between the two in so far as how they subdivide in Layout and in your display in modeler. That is always good info to have.