PDA

View Full Version : Importing Into After Effects

billuke
05-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi, Is there a way to import a scene/animation/objects into AE to have control over the individual layers to apply effects. I want to apply SHINE to the text in a scene ,but AE will apply it to the whole scene.Can this be done in one shot,without making seperate renders of each object to import into AE?

I'm farily new to AE and Lightwave .

Thanks.Bill

Surrealist.
05-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I think the way it is done is through saving out layers based on various attributes such as specularity. There are a couple of plugins included with LW that allow you to save out several passes of these attributes from the same render. For a great overview of this check out these Professional Pipeline articles (http://www.spinquad.com/articles).

billuke
05-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks Richard,I'm checking the articles out now.

swingrays
05-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Billuke,

You could create your text on a 3D layer in AE then apply any one of a million effects out there for your Shine. It won't have thickness, but you can move it in 3D space. It's pretty cool actually.

billuke
05-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi,Yeah it is ok,but that,s the key here.I need thick text,I can make it with Invigorator but it would be a lot easier to do it in LW.I think if I render my scene,and text seperatly it could work .
I'm just not sure if I should import these LW layers as QT movies,or something else.Any input?

Thanks.Bill

CC Rider
05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I do the exact same thing with AE all the time.
There may be a more effecient way, but for me, it gives the most control while compositing separate layers.
I would do one render for the entire scene, text included (for shadows etc...) then another render and remove everything in the scene except the text.

Also, Much better to output image sequences rather than quicktime or avi, and import to AE that way.

Works like a champ!

:thumbsup:

billuke
05-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks CC ,What type of image files do you use/recomend for AE import

billuke
05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Also..Are image files smaller than MOV,or AVI's

CC Rider
05-07-2008, 10:57 AM
I have used .tif, .psd, .tga, .png, in the past...anything with no compression or lossless compression and AE works fine with all of them. I tend to favor png files...very good image quality/compression so you get nice small file sizes. I would just avoid anything with lossy compression such as jpeg or gif.

Don't forget to make sure to use a 32bit version (ex. png32) if you need an alpha channel.

CC Rider
05-07-2008, 11:13 AM
With an image sequence, of course, you have a separate image for every frame of your animation. My renders are 720 x 480 pixels and the resulting png files are around 250 KB each.

import into AE, composite, and export as anything you want from there.
The resulting MOV or AVI file after exporting from AE should be identicle to the file size it would have been if you had exported directly from LW as a Mov or AVI (assuming all compression settings are equal)

But here you have the flexibility to re render a portion or even one frame of your animation to make a minor tweek if you want to. If you render out to Mov or AVI from LW, any changes means you have to render the entire sequnce over again.

Also, another little trick I like to use is to do this.
Make the first and last frame of the animation perfectly static. All animations should ease out of the first frame and ease into the last frame (smooth beginning and end) and once in AE, since the first and last frames are static,
You can hold the first and last frame of the shot as long as you want.
This way you could make a 3 second animation rendered out of LW last for 10 seconds or as long as you want after exporting from AE.
Hope this last part made sense...I may not be the best "explainer" in the world.
:thumbsup:

billuke
05-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Excellent info CC, Your explanation is perfectly clear and just what I needed.

I will try it your way and see what happens.It sounds like Iv'e been doing this all wrong.

Thanks again !

CC Rider
05-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Anytime.