PDA

View Full Version : give us a hug! [mini challenge]

cresshead
05-04-2008, 05:50 AM
not what you think!:D:hey:

just for abit of fun how about a mini challenge making a face hugger from alien/aliens?

to start you off...here's a zip with a row res base lwo, obj, max and zbrush zsphere files i made :thumbsup:

cresshead
05-04-2008, 05:58 AM
zsphere base>

http://www.cresshead.com/hug/face_hugger_zspheres.jpg

tonybliss
05-04-2008, 06:49 AM
lol ... nice ....
do i get to hug HIS face if i win :tongue:

archijam
05-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Like old times Cress!

Found some of the great challenges you ran on your forum a while back, nice stuff! (Is there anything between you and Ridley Scott that we should know about?)

If I ever get this competition finished, I may even have a go at this ... :)

cresshead
05-04-2008, 10:38 AM
yeah i ran an alien comp a couple of years back on razor1...this time it's a bit more easy as there's a start model if someone needs more than a 'blank canvas' tog get started
it's not a competution as such just if someone want to have a bash...well they can!

i have a few things i'd like to make in zbrush to learn the app abit more so as alien/aliens is my fav films...

Ztreem
05-04-2008, 12:20 PM
If I can find some time I will try to do one and test out 3DCoat a bit more, I'll have to use that app more.

Speedmonk42
05-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks.

Here goes another round of therapy for nightmares.

LightFreeze
05-06-2008, 03:11 PM
The first time I saw Alien was in the cinema on its first release, didn`t know anything about it when it started and was blown away when it finished.

So I had to have a bash at this :D

cresshead
05-06-2008, 03:25 PM
dude!

awesome...i'll have something finished soon myself...just rounding up reference piks currently.

Steamthrower
05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
This might be a good time to figure out how to use Maestro for eight separate legs...

CMT
05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Nice start cresshead! Good ZSphere setup. One tip for ZSpheres... For joints that angle sharply, it's sometimes good to put another ZSphere on both sides of the ZSPhere at the joint. It creates a much more structured joint. Otherwise the joint appears too blended with the rest of the leg/arm or whatever.

Chilton
05-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I give you the NewTek Scorpion.

Rendered in around .3 seconds ;-)

I believe Graham found this wandering the halls of NT HQ. It was dead by the time we took this pic. Shot with an iSight camera and a black light.

-Chilton

cresshead
05-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Nice start cresshead! Good ZSphere setup. One tip for ZSpheres... For joints that angle sharply, it's sometimes good to put another ZSphere on both sides of the ZSPhere at the joint. It creates a much more structured joint. Otherwise the joint appears too blended with the rest of the leg/arm or whatever.

actually i've just bought some training specifically on zshere modeling from gnomology and he say's that's what he used to do with zbrush2 but doesn't anymore with zbrush3...no need to anymore..i get what your saying but he say's in the sculpt you can bring the sharpnes of the angle back and not double/tripple up on poly count as you divide that area if you DON'T add those extra zsphere's before you make a uniform mesh.:thumbsup:

the thing to keep an eye on is the make a uniformly divided mesh

CMT
05-06-2008, 06:18 PM
That is true. I guess it just all comes down to how you work. It doesn't change my workflow much though since I end up retopologizing the mesh to optimize it for detailing. For me, it's just an extra step to try to get the joints correct since I'll end up reworking the topo anyway after getting a rough sculpt.

Regardless, it's looking promising!

Ztreem
05-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Anyone doing something with this?

I've Spent some of my spare time to build a low poly cage for sculpting in 3DCoat, this is what I have so far. Now it's time for sculpting when I can find some spare time.

cresshead
05-22-2008, 11:14 AM
well i'm making a scene from the film...with a bit of elbow grease and zbrush!:thumbsup:

http://www.cresshead.com/wip_wait/dallas_wip_sml001.jpg

not started on the helmet, gloves or boots yet..just placeholders for now..
of course a facehugger will be in the scene!:D

Ztreem
05-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Cool, will be interesting to see the final scene.
Maybe we should post some wip images here from time to time just to keep the thread going.

cresshead
05-22-2008, 11:54 AM
yeah sounds like a good idea.
i'll be adding some wip's over this weekend
....eggs and a certain 'chap' in a seat...

Ztreem
05-22-2008, 12:07 PM
I'll post some images when I've started the sculpting, will be fun to see what 3DCoat can do with this.